selmitto

Grasp (indie game)

I'm looking for a few people to playtest some levels of my game and provide that valuable feedback.

It shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes, I believe.

Please send me your Skype id via PM :)

Thanks in advance.

Testing a night background. Thoughts?

The bottom part is not so important because it will be hidden most of the time.

Also, another concept of the logo.

8c7TFLI.jpg

Edited by Al Anselmo~Intelect0

So while I'm iterating the game based on the feedback received during the Unite Brazil, I created a new logo.

This new concept relates to the core game mechanic a lot more than the previous ones, which is "creating forms visually by combining objects":

JOzUEsl.png

So. Any feedback?

The previous version can be seen on the lower left corner of the night environment posted above.

Thanks.

Maybe the R needs its left line still? 

Anyways I tried the game yesterday. I think there was a little acceleration on the movement. If so I would reduce the time to reach full speed so it feels a bit more responsive. 

zmBoVuC.png

I need your playtest, Hurg!

The game is still in development, but you can finally play the first three levels to see the idea behind it:

** Thanks for your interest. A new build will be available next week, with the new level. **

Hopefully you guys can playtest again and check the improvements based on your feedback :)

More info here.

Don't expect a big challenge, because those are the levels to teach you the different core mechanics early in the game.

Anyway, every feedback is valuable to help me decide where to take this game. Thanks.

Edited by Al Anselmo~Intelect0

Finished it, only thing that annoyed me was the movement speed. Too slow I think.

Thanks for the feedback!

The movement speed has been a problem along the playtests... lots of players complained about it being too slow. I've been increasing the speed since then on each new iteration.

The white arrows that show up on the third level have been redesigned, so they don't pollute the screen and do a better job design-wise:

u9evAPQ.gif

I played through it.

I don't think I really understand the core engagement of your game. All I did was move a bunch of shapes into their needed spots in order to satisfy context-less characters. It all felt very abstract and with little to no intellectual or emotional impact.

Part of the problem for me is that, even with multiple 2D planes, there's still a very limited amount of spots to move objects to create your shapes. The game can be solved completely by trial/error on every spot. So it doesn't make the player feel all that smart for solving it. There's a very small possibility space for interesting choices. It also felt very hand-holdy. I understand it's the first few levels, but you need something there to show how far you can go with the mechanic. Doesn't need to be challenging - just engaging. 

Also, please don't make it so you walk slower when you're moving an object. It's really annoying. And I don't understand why there's a "No-entry" sign when you switch between the front and back planes. It made me feel like I couldn't do that action for a while until I realized I could.

I apologize if I seem harsh, but I wanted to be as honest with my feedback as possible.

Just tried it. It has 3, levels right? The Eye is the last one? I got back to the main screen after completing that level anyway.

Gotta agree with ForbiddenDonut on all points. The mechanics didn't really grab a hold of me and I completed the third level without realizing what I'd done (some bug maybe, felt a bit weird).

I played through it.

I don't think I really understand the core engagement of your game. All I did was move a bunch of shapes into their needed spots in order to satisfy context-less characters. It all felt very abstract and with little to no intellectual or emotional impact.

Part of the problem for me is that, even with multiple 2D planes, there's still a very limited amount of spots to move objects to create your shapes. The game can be solved completely by trial/error on every spot. So it doesn't make the player feel all that smart for solving it. There's a very small possibility space for interesting choices. It also felt very hand-holdy. I understand it's the first few levels, but you need something there to show how far you can go with the mechanic. Doesn't need to be challenging - just engaging. 

Also, please don't make it so you walk slower when you're moving an object. It's really annoying. And I don't understand why there's a "No-entry" sign when you switch between the front and back planes. It made me feel like I couldn't do that action for a while until I realized I could.

I apologize if I seem harsh, but I wanted to be as honest with my feedback as possible.

The core of the game is to move shapes to where, combined with other shapes or elements of the background, they result in the forms that represent the goal in that level (level 1: ice cream cup; level 2: triangle and head; level 3: eye). For tutorial purposes, it was very obvious where the needed spots were in the first levels, but the dotted lines are present only in those first two levels. I believe the dotted lines could give the impression that the game is about moving objects to obvious positions, which is not so true. Any suggestion on how to make that better?

The third level's design goals are to introduce a new mechanic, teach the player how to swap planes and show that, given the right conditions, it's possible to finish a level by simply swapping planes.

That might be a little confusing at first, but I believe the following levels will help to make more obvious what happened: as the trees were already correctly positioned on both planes, as soon as you swapped them, the Eye got formed.

Also, I'll implement more levels to explore the swap mechanic to try and demonstrate how the interesting choices can be present (SPOILER: you will be able to swap planes while holding an object and create forms with objects from different planes).

About the player speed: thanks for pointing that. I agree and removed the "speed while holding an object".

About the sign, it's supposed to communicate that you can't walk while you are in the "plane swaps mode". Playtesting showed me that players needed a visual feedback to know that something was happening that was preventing their movement. I'll change that sign for this here: 

5ZbaNQS.png

Don't worry about being harsh, I didn't see it that way. I think it was a very honest feedback, which is exactly what I look for when I request feedback to improve my skills. Thank you!

Just tried it. It has 3, levels right? The Eye is the last one? I got back to the main screen after completing that level anyway.

Gotta agree with ForbiddenDonut on all points. The mechanics didn't really grab a hold of me and I completed the third level without realizing what I'd done (some bug maybe, felt a bit weird).

Yeah, that build has only the first 3 levels, The Eye level being the last one before returning to the main screen.

The third level's design goals are to introduce a new mechanic, teach the player how to swap planes and show that, given the right conditions, it's possible to finish a level by simply swapping planes.

That might be a little confusing at first, but I believe the following levels will help to make more obvious what happened: as the trees were already correctly positioned on both planes, as soon as you swapped them, the Eye got formed.

Errr, for some reason I couldn't pick anything up. Well, sometimes I could be sometimes it just refused to do anything. Didn't seem particularly gripping to me, to be honest. It's just moving shapes into the corresponding holes.

PogoP, what do you mean? Could you move the objects? Objects with a colored outline cannot be moved though...

The game isn't about moving objects into their corresponding holes. I clearly did a mistake in explaining it during the game (sith happens), but I have an idea to solve that and will implement it on the next iteration. Thanks for the feedback!

---

Off topic: isn't it possible to quote people in the mobile version?

I played through it.

The core of the game is to move shapes to where, combined with other shapes or elements of the background, they result in the forms that represent the goal in that level (level 1: ice cream cup; level 2: triangle and head; level 3: eye). For tutorial purposes, it was very obvious where the needed spots were in the first levels, but the dotted lines are present only in those first two levels. I believe the dotted lines could give the impression that the game is about moving objects to obvious positions, which is not so true. Any suggestion on how to make that better?

The third level's design goals are to introduce a new mechanic, teach the player how to swap planes and show that, given the right conditions, it's possible to finish a level by simply swapping planes.

That might be a little confusing at first, but I believe the following levels will help to make more obvious what happened: as the trees were already correctly positioned on both planes, as soon as you swapped them, the Eye got formed.

Also, I'll implement more levels to explore the swap mechanic to try and demonstrate how the interesting choices can be present (SPOILER: you will be able to swap planes while holding an object and create forms with objects from different planes).

About the player speed: thanks for pointing that. I agree and removed the "speed while holding an object".

About the sign, it's supposed to communicate that you can't walk while you are in the "plane swaps mode". Playtesting showed me that players needed a visual feedback to know that something was happening that was preventing their movement. I'll change that sign for this here:

5ZbaNQS.png

Don't worry about being harsh, I didn't see it that way. I think it was a very honest feedback, which is exactly what I look for when I request feedback to improve my skills. Thank you!I would do away with the icon entirely, it gets confusing because switching planes isn't instant.

I liked the game, but I feel like you're holding the player's hand too much. On level 2, you could probably get rid of the outline fading in, it's sort of condescending.

The third level's design goals are to introduce a new mechanic, teach the player how to swap planes and show that, given the right conditions, it's possible to finish a level by simply swapping planes.

That might be a little confusing at first, but I believe the following levels will help to make more obvious what happened: as the trees were already correctly positioned on both planes, as soon as you swapped them, the Eye got formed.

5ZbaNQS.png

Don't worry about being harsh, I didn't see it that way. I think it was a very honest feedback, which is exactly what I look for when I request feedback to improve my skills. Thank you!

I would do away with the icon entirely, it gets confusing because switching planes isn't instant.

I liked the game, but I feel like you're holding the player's hand too much. On level 2, you could probably get rid of the outline fading in, it's sort of condescending.

Thanks for the feedback!

Do away with the icon? I decided to create that icon after watching players move to the other plane and get confused because they couldn't move to the sides. The build they played had the character completely visible and colored, so they thought "wait a second, my character is already there! why can't I move?".

But now that I'm thinking, maybe doing away with the icon and simply showing the outlined character would indicate that he isn't there yet (that's where he'll be after the player confirms the plane swap):

tioVkOQ.png

I'm just not completely sure if this way people will get confused for not being able to move to the sides, as the other icon above indicated.

I don't want to hold the player's hand too much, so I'll take your suggestion and remove the outlines on level 2. Agreed.

Thanks again!

I would do away with the icon entirely, it gets confusing because switching planes isn't instant.

Thanks for the feedback!

Do away with the icon? I decided to create that icon after watching players move to the other plane and get confused because they couldn't move to the sides. The build they played had the character completely visible and colored, so they thought "wait a second, my character is already there! why can't I move?".

But now that I'm thinking, maybe doing away with the icon and simply showing the outlined character would indicate that he isn't there yet (that's where he'll be after the player confirms the plane swap):

I'm just not completely sure if this way people will get confused for not being able to move to the sides, as the other icon above indicated.

I don't want to hold the player's hand too much, so I'll take your suggestion and remove the outlines on level 2. Agreed.

Thanks again!

I'm not so sure why you have to confirm plane swaps, are you going to add some element for this to become a requirement?