How to use sketchup models in 3ds max?

cybarian

hi friends,

i use 3ds max to handle my projects and i have certain issues.......

i just heard about the google's sketchup...!

i heard that this software is not very expensive and very easy to use...i am thinking of using both for my productions and want to know that is possible to use the sketchup models in 3ds max.....because 3dsmax has awesome animation and material powers so if it is possible to export models of sketchup so we can use then in 3dsmax?

Edited by cybarian

If you can master 3ds Max... I'm not so certain you'll find anything extra valuable in Sketchup. Going back and forth seems like a hassle. It would be like dual booting your computer in Windows and Linux... where you play games and make really neat things in Windows... then take the time to shut it all down and reboot in Linux so you can check your email. Just seems like it's not worth it. (Sorry if offending any Linux users... I have a Linux box here for development but honestly avoid it like the plague...)

Also, to answer your question, there is a Google Sketchup (SKP) importer built into newer versions of Max. So you do have access to the models in the 3D warehouse for Max. Not sure when it was added... maybe Max 2013? It's in 2014 for sure.

Agree with Shawn - you really don't want to bother with Sketchup if you're going to take the time to learn 3DS Max. Max is simply a far superior product in terms of game asset modeling. The only argument I could see is that Sketchup is free, but... so is Blender, and Blender does a better job at modeling than Sketchup. Both of which are sorely lacking compared to Max and Maya, however. If you want to do this professionally, I encourage you to stick with Max and keep working at it. You won't get better overnight, and I don't think adding more programs is the right solution.

If you can master 3ds Max... I'm not so certain you'll find anything extra valuable in Sketchup. Going back and forth seems like a hassle. It would be like dual booting your computer in Windows and Linux... where you play games and make really neat things in Windows... then take the time to shut it all down and reboot in Linux so you can check your email. Just seems like it's not worth it. (Sorry if offending any Linux users... I have a Linux box here for development but honestly avoid it like the plague...)

Not sure if you can really offend by stating the truth.  I have a Linux install on this PC that I occasionally log into and just feel sad that it's not supported by adobe or most game devs.

On topic: Just stay with Max, sketchup won't get you far in creating assets.  I can only really imagine using sketchup for BSP geometry.

Edited by Marcem