Mapham

Modding counter-strike

Is that even possible? I know there are modded servers in game, but I mean completely new game. Different weapons, how weapons work, new gamemode etc.

Edited by Mapham

Modding what about it? Theres lots of modifications you can do on the server side, but everything that requires a client modifcation means you need to make a duplicate game with said modification (which doesnt really count).

What do you mean? Well global offensive is latest and most advanced counter-strike, so if I would build mod for CS it would be CSGO.

But I mean, is it possible to make mod out of counter-strike, like counter-strike was made out of half-life?

Edited by Mapham

Unless I'm mistaken all current Source games are effectively 'mods' of the Source version chosen for the project (there are numerous versions of Source going back to Half-Life 2). I've seen mods for CS:GO listed on Mod DB so I guess it must be possible.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Create_a_Mod

A lot of it is programming (writing code). If the original game has its source code available then you edit it — the same as making any game really, except you're modifying an existing one.