Going to the gym is like a korean MMORPG

arhurt

Just did that "7 min workout". Shit is intense! 

7 min workout timer:  http://www.7-min.com/

The Scientific 7-Minute Workout: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/?_r=0

I started it this morning and I'll try to do it at least three times a week.

12well_physed-tmagArticle.jpg

In 12 exercises deploying only body weight, a chair and a wall, it fulfills the latest mandates for high-intensity effort, which essentially combines a long run and a visit to the weight room into about seven minutes of steady discomfort — all of it based on science.
The exercises should be performed in rapid succession, allowing 30 seconds for each, while, throughout, the intensity hovers at about an 8 on a discomfort scale of 1 to 10, Mr. Jordan says. Those seven minutes should be, in a word, unpleasant. The upside is, after seven minutes, you’re done.

Just went for my induction session and am now dripping like a minge. Was good though, and I have to admit that for my superficial ass it was better being in a relatively fancy gym full of ultra-friendly staff to show me how to use the more complicated pieces of equipment like the dumbbells, rather than one like the last gym I went to full of meatheads and basic, grotty equipment.

by using some sort of plier on different parts of the skin. I don't know the correct English name for it.

Skin caliper.

Those things are notoriously unreliable. You not only need a hight quality one (electronic != high quality) but someone who actually knows how to use it properly and consistently, which is a toss up. Your best bet is to try and find a place near you that does hydrostatic weighing. I use it and it gives extremely accurate results (down to .01% BF).

If you really want to get your caloric intake and macro split on target you need to know your BF%. Once you know that read this thread to find out how much you should be eating:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Though the formulas in there work better when you're a little bit leaner. So maybe when your BF% gets under 20 you can really start honing in on the diet. Until then common sense can go a long way ;).

Edited by ChopperDave

Shit. I was on the spare list for a 5x5km relay race and totally forgot about it. Seems like there were some drop-outs and I'll have to run xD

I have about 2,5 weeks to get in shape lolololol. I'm thinking of running the 5km twice a week and do cardio on the other days. Anyone have a good cardio workout that would get me fit faster? Something like that 7 minute thingy would be great.

I'm not completely out of shape, have been lifting weights and such but my endurance is not super since I haven't been running in a while :s HELP!?

Edited by Chimeray

I wouldn't recommend HIIT on a daily basis -- if you do it properly it's pretty taxing on your body, so I'd do it every other day at most. HIIT on your non-lifting days is a great strategy for getting some cardio in whilst also burning off some fat. LISS cardio would be better for a marathon but it can also be detrimental to your efforts to maintain lean mass, so be cautious you don't overdo it.

If you haven't been running in a while you're gonna remember just how awesome shin splints are.

Thanks for the advice all! I'll get started tomorrow, wish me luck! :)

I did a "test run" a couple of months ago to check how my condition was, right before they were asking for volunteers. I was able to run the 5km in 27 mins so nothing spectacular but my heart rate was through the roof and I was starting to feel a bit ill... So I figured I should get put on the spare list instead. It's just people from our office that formed a team but a lot of them are runners that do it fairly often, I think when I did it last time 2 years back there were quite a few that were able to run it in 20-22.

So yeah, hope I can get it down to 25 mins that should be awesome but I don't wanna pass out either xD I'll let ya know how it goes.

Edited by Chimeray

Swam outdoors yesterday since the weather was nice :) Ran again today, did the 5km in 24:40 this time... almost 2 mins faster :o Focused more on the breathing this time, slow ins and outs seemed to improved my endurance. Heart rate was about 176 in the end so not sure I should try to go even faster? Gonna run again on Thursday if I recover fast enough and then there's only 1 week left... (Might do some rowing in between since you guys suggested to do some high intensity stuff in between but not sure my muscles can take that strain...)

Now my question: The outdoor track goes up and down a bit but nothing spectacular either. Should I put the treadmill at an incline and aim for the same time/speed? Or am I better off trying to go faster? If I should put it at an incline what's a good percentage to start of with?

And how is everyone else doing?! :)

Edited by Chimeray