arhurt

Going to the gym is like a korean MMORPG

Congrats for such an intense start; I'm not sure that beginning a new activity this intensely is the good thing, but if you keep it up, kudos!

I never liked the gym, the sweat, the stink, the boringness of the four walls. The only pro to me are nice girls, which i'm not seeing now that I'm doing a few hours for preparation with my teammates.

Also i noticed that a lot of people that go to the gym starts "comparing penises" and gossip about the others, even my parents, who are certainly not that kind of people, have always something to blab about the other annoying people there since they started going.

I've practiced sports all my life (basketball mainly), but there was a few years I got ~10kg over, so I started running and kept at it for about three years (run a half marathon also), then I had to stop because of pain to the knee  :sad:  Unfortunately doctors say i'm good, but i don't feel good :-| in the meantime i'm still playing basketball which doesn't cause much pain.

Nice thing to notice was that first I had to impose myself to go out 2 times per week, then it became a routine and also a need, so if I had to skip a run, I really felt it, and I also increased to 3-4 runs per week.

I am an advocate of the "Rocky training", so to also improve some other muscles, I was grabbing bars at car parks and doing pull-ups, and push-ups and abs before going out.

Best runs were (curiously) in winter, I loved to run with the cold and snow, looking the sun coming up. Or those with my dog, when he was young enough to run, but he would start to get tired less then half of the distance I did reach in the later months.

PS: strong motivation to run was that I could feel good by eating a few pastries, I'm a glutton for cakes and such. I've kinda lived on salads and ice creams this last month XD

I've always been curious about Krav Maga and wanted to try that.

Me too, still on my plans, but it's something I can't afford right now. Edited by blackdog

Ok, since there doesn't seem to be room for humor here, I'm going to reply with a serious response. Actually, I'm going put myself out there. I used to work out 6 days a week. I was super fit, well build with a six pack and all. Then I stopped, I got a office job. I got married and the biggest killer of all, I quit smoking. I've gained 40 pounds and got fat. I need to do something. If you guys are really serious about motivating each other, so will I. I'll weigh myself, measure everything and go back to the gym while keeping you updated on the results. I would like to see the same of you.

In the mean time, I could probably help with some questions. Even though I let myself go, I did work out intensively for over 5 years. I've picked up quite a bit and one my best friends is a very good fitness instructor/personal trainer. For starters, what Sentura posted earlier is some solid advice.

My biggest advice to people is, don't try to take shortcuts. Create good habits.

But creating good habits begins very small and takes time to develop.

I start with 3 push-up and now I am doing 3*10 different push-ups + 30 crunches to wake up.

It does not have to be much. As long as you do it every day and you spread it out, this habit will become very important to you.

I got back to the gym as well, although I'm trying to be smart about it this time around, I don't wanna stroll in there like a maniac start pulling weights like there's no tomorrow.

I've also been trying to learn what's the best and safest way to get healthy and with a body like Mitch from baywatch. (hair included)

This online trainer is some of the best source of info I've found so far, I recomend you register on his website, he sends you a e-mail every day with new stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjARj4PzCd4

(Look up the other videos by yourself)

http://getbiggetstrong.com/start-here-first/

Basically I'm trying to go monday, tuesday, rest on wednesdays and go back thursday, friday and saturday, rest on sundays. And really, after a couple weeks this becomes routine and you don't feel you're doing this extraordinary thing anymore.

Also, I work the upper body in one day, and in the next day I work the lower body, with a lot of focus on cardio for these first few weeks since I got some localized fat I wanna get rid of too.

Also, the order in what you do your wheights is very important (you'll learn that on that guys YT page) start with your bigger muscles and move down to your smaller ones.

Ok, since there doesn't seem to be room for humor here, I'm going to reply with a serious response. Actually, I'm going put myself out there. I used to work out 6 days a week. I was super fit, well build with a six pack and all. Then I stopped, I got a office job. I got married and the biggest killer of all, I quit smoking. I've gained 40 pounds and got fat. I need to do something. If you guys are really serious about motivating each other, so will I. I'll weigh myself, measure everything and go back to the gym while keeping you updated on the results. I would like to see the same of you.

In the mean time, I could probably help with some questions. Even though I let myself go, I did work out intensively for over 5 years. I've picked up quite a bit and one my best friends is a very good fitness instructor/personal trainer. For starters, what Sentura posted earlier is some solid advice.

I've heard many many similar stories. I know a family member that had the exact same thing happen to him. Dude used to look like Arnold, now he's like Francis the fat guy from youtube. (Well... maybe not that much, but you get the point) ahah

Anyway, the key here and what can be learned from this is you should never work out too much on the gym, like 7 days a week non-stop neither you should come to a complete stop. Both those options only lead to bad stuff, balance is key.

Go to the gym at least 3 times a week, bring some good energetic music with you and that hour will fly past you!

Also, don't just think I "might" go to the gym tomorrow night, think I'll fucking go even If I'm shitting diarrhea from my nose, that's how you fight through the weird feeling of stepping out of your normal routine in the first couple weeks.

So yeah... start today, no time like the present.

Damn you guys work out a lot! :P I only go once a week, which day depends on what is going on... I stay around 70 minutes and do a full body workout.

Not really taking any more weights, I've been at this same level for about 2 years now... just stagnating. I'm pretty happy with my build and weight although it's nothing spectacular either. It helps that I don't really like eating and have a fast metabolism. I definitely could use a second day for cardio cos it's healthy but I can't be arsed :/

I probably should get a trainer to re-evaluate my exercises cos I kinda made my own workout and been at it since forever xD Just using the gym at work, couldn't be easier! I've tried going to a huge gym but it was too impersonal...

PS: If anyone got a routine for a 1 day-a-week workout please post it! Would like to see how it is different from mine so I can switch it up a bit :)

Mapcore is starting to feel like Lifecore xD

Edited by Chimeray

Bulletproof vest? :oops:

I live in a sketchy part of town..  :v  It's issued to me via my home guard service (same as national guard/TA). It's better to run with something that hugs your body instead of a sloppy backpack with weights in it.

(I wear it under my tshirt or jacket so not a whole lot of people notice it at all)

I probably should get a trainer to re-evaluate my exercises cos I kinda made my own workout and been at it since forever xD

I've read it's called "plateauing", and it really doesn't make much for you. Sure better than nothing, but you definitely need to have a few routines to switch up like every (other) month.

It helps that I don't really like eating and have a fast metabolism.

Lucky you, but beware! It can change with age (consider your line of blood in the family), i've seen it happen to some friends and it happened to me, at least a bit. So keep an healthy diet, vary it a lot.

~

I dunno how much of this is solid/proven, but my convinciments about exercising which i'd be interested in confronting with your experience:

* want to loose fat? do a lot of cardio; limit the carbs you ingest in the afternoon/evening, if you drink limit the alcohol

* there are so many core exercises one person can do to get fit without even lifting a weight. We have so many muscles we don't use...

* when starting to go to the gym, don't lift free weights, use machines. You are not prepared, so you don't really know how to handle those and you can get bad postures and injuries.

* start small: little weights, even though you feel embarassed a girl lifts more than you.

* small steps, read: don't make objectives it will be too difficult to reach/maintain (that's why i'm skeptic about going everyday – unless you have a particular objective).

Going back tonight after taking 3 weeks off (2 weeks for vacation + 1 week of being ill). Will be excited to get back in but I know its going to suck because I have to build back up, but that's OK. My routine is going to look like this I think (This is actually lighter than what I was coming from).

Monday, Wednesday Friday

Warm Up: Rowing or Jogging 5-10 minutes

Barbell Squat 10x3 (10 reps for 3 sets)

Clean 10x3

Bench Press 10x3

Dumbbell Curl 10x3

Jump Rope intervals (3 minute rounds, 10-14 rounds depending)

Arnold Press and/or Shoulder Press (my hardest exercise) 10x3

Skullcrusher 10x3

Dips till fail (x3 sets)

Core + Pushups

Stretch

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

Warm Up

Front Squat 10x3

Deadlift 10x3

Leg Press 10x3

Pull-up / Chin-up alternating Till Fail (3 sets)

Calf Raise 10x3

Hip Abduction 15x3

Leg Extension 10x3

If available: Heavy bag work -- same intervals as jump rope, 5-8 rounds -- if not, running at least 25 minutes

Burpees 15x2

Core + Pushups

Stretch

Stats Right Now (Aug. 6):

Height: 6 ft 1.75 in

Weight: 178 lbs

Body Fat (Electronic): 11 %

Bench Press Max: 145 lbs

Barbell Squat Max:

Goal Stats:

Body Fat: 7% or lower

Bench Press Max: 185 lbs

Barbell Squat Max: 225+ lbs

Pull-Ups / Chin-Ups Max: 15+ each (alternative 10x3 + dumbbell weights)

I will be doing increase eventually to a higher weight lower rep cycle and than drop the weight from my highest and re-increase the reps so I can build past that point. I will probably end up dropping a couple of exercises from each day to pary down the timeframe in lieu of working larger muscle groups and cutting out unnecessary isolations (i.e. leg extension when I have squat + press + calf raise already).

Having just read some about some more easily accomplished circuit training regimens, I am going to switch it up and go that route before moving back into the above weight liting routine. I am going to try the workout model used by Jason Statham and see if that doesn't work better for me (less time + better results possibly for my personal goals). See that workout here: http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/mens-health/fitness/workouts/article/-/5926430/jason-statham-s-full-7-day-wo1000rkout

Someday, when I have children, I am going to adopt the "cat workout" only I will use my children (makes you stronger the bigger/older they get). Life goal: sexiest future husband on the block :P

Edited by Sigma

I actually had to do a full physical exam before starting on the gym. I can also guarantee to you that the environment on my gym is perfect: no real bodybuilders or dumb people, just a bunch of people worried for their health. It's located inside a sports center that offers swim classes, soccer/basketball courts for rent and preactice, so the whole thing just puts you in the right mood.

Here are my current measurements:

174 pounds

24% fat

37% muscle

My current workout usually starts with a 10 min warm-up (jogging on the treadmill) and then alternating leg/lower body > arms upper body exercises. I start with the bigger muscles and work towards the little ones. Then I finish it up with some abs/core and stretching.

As I said before, I'm feeling good by trying to be there everyday and it has the added plus (for me) that I can skip a day or two and don't feel guilty. It's very easy for me to drop out of stuff if I don't commit, hence the need for me to do it everyday (and create this thread).

I should also mention that I'm regulating my carbs intake and lowering it as much as I can. I'm not on full keto, but pretty close, and should start seeing my fat go down in a few weeks (I've done it before and lost around 30lb with zero physical activity).

Edited by arhurt

I should also mention that I'm regulating my carbs intake and lowering it as much as I can. I'm not on full keto, but pretty close, and should start seeing my fat go down in a few weeks (I've done it before and lost around 30lb with zero physical activity).

Just make sure that when you need to you start re-increasing your carbohydrate intake. Nothing worse than denying your body the nutrition it needs to properly recover from workouts.

I actually had to do a full physical exam before starting on the gym. I can also guarantee to you that the environment on my gym is perfect: no real bodybuilders or dumb people, just a bunch of people worried for their health. It's located inside a sports center that offers swim classes, soccer/basketball courts for rent and preactice, so the whole thing just puts you in the right mood.

Here are my current measurements:

174 pounds

24% fat

37% muscle

My current workout usually starts with a 10 min warm-up (jogging on the treadmill) and then alternating leg/lower body > arms upper body exercises. I start with the bigger muscles and work towards the little ones. Then I finish it up with some abs/core and stretching.

As I said before, I'm feeling good by trying to be there everyday and it has the added plus (for me) that I can skip a day or two and don't feel guilty. It's very easy for me to drop out of stuff if I don't commit, hence the need for me to do it everyday (and create this thread).

height? BMI?

Called my friend the instructor today. We're going measure everything this friday (I'll post the embarassing results) and start my weight loss schedule (he's currently making it). Thanks OP! Just have to restrain myself because the first thing that came to mind when thinking about going back was the saying: "If the bar ain't bendin', then you're just pretendin".