blackdog

Fez 2 cancelled, Phil Fish to quit Game Industry

The developer has announced over his personal and company Twitter account, plus the company's blog, that development is cancelled and he's getting out of the game:

Fez II Cancelled

"im done. FEZ II is canceled. goodbye," writes Phil Fish.

Fez II is Cancelled [update: Phil Fish 'getting out of games']

Apparently, this is the result of the latest twitter-flame with nonetheless than the "Annoyed Gamer", you know him as one of GameTrailer's opinionists.

What do you think?

I think he's a little fucking child and I have no idea how he made such a good game as Fez. Seems to me like he's just being melodramatic and throwing his dummy out of the pram.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Or in this case, the game industry. Good call. People will always bitch, criticize or try to make fun of you. Or sometimes, you make an ass out of yourself. Take it like a man or GTFO.

The way he did it though, is like Pogo said, childish. Reminds me of my little nephew, whenever it ain't going his way he doesn't want to do anything anymore. Same thing. Expect Fish is supposedly mature. And also, leave with dignity but doing this through twitter.....

35v3qv.jpg

I get why so many people don't like the guy, I agree that you should be strong enough to cope with success and blabla... but for some reason, I dunno, I feel for the guy. Just give him a break.

Looking back at were it all started is like the story of the chicken and egg, but dafak, how come that a journalist* calls a developer a "fucking wanker", and other nice compliments, on video on a major network; it's like if a CNN anchorman would comment "wanker" when someone at the White House press-conference responds "no comment".

*more like "commentator". Which I think Fish is right to define a leech, since the one in particular lives on bitching about childish stuff in the first place.

You could handle it better, of course, but still: also Blow got called "fucking hipster" "tool" and whatever, for writing this

afee8ij.png

Is it because of the players that passionate game developpers become disillusioned, don't give a shit anymore and just want to milk money out of them by shoving a funnel into their mouths and pourring games people like over and over ?

Although it's like everywhere you just need a small group of dickheads, crapping the rest for a huge nice majority

This is sad actually, but i wonder how phil fish became so overmediatised though, maybe this is what happen when you do.

Where i don't understand the guy though, is that there must be people being respecful, liking his games and waiting for them eagerly; why doesn't he listen to these people and try making quality for them ? rather than being all about the whiny bitches who doesn't have anything else to do of their day ? or maybe really nobody likes him i don't know.

But thinking about it, it's easy when you work in a game company, because you aren't in contact with the public, but with indie games, "author games", the guy become associated with the product and have to take everything on his back. It must be tough really.

I don't know how i would react, alone in my room trying to make a game without money and the problems you usually come up in life, if i received a " Go kill yourself you don't deserve to live " email each day, for 2 years.

It feels even worse than a regular job as a garbage man, gardener or whatever you like.

It's actually amazing Phil Fish as been here for so long actually :)

I think this will happen to Dayz Dev, he's repeating that dev is harassing and that lot of haters can't do anything but complain (they may have some arguments too, still not a reason for being harsh, but i guess that's what happen when anyone expose itsellf to community)...

The thing is, when you see a singer, an actor; any creator using their own image associated with their creation, they usually don't have to deal themselves directly with the public, only journalists instead. They have a professional communication team to do the rest. Probably because it must be totally unhealthy to do so yourself.

Imagine doing your regular job, as a cashier for example, going back home checking your mails, facebook, twitter : "what a dick he didn't smiled"; "i don't like how he carried my stuff, he should kill himself"; "he didn't say hello to me, i wish he burns in hell"; "not a very good cashier"; "i don't like his face fire him"

Many people want to liken him to the sort of crazy-genius behavior that e.g. Salvador Dali was, but this guy is nowhere near that. If anything, he sounds like he's autistic with a histrionic side. I haven't played Fez, but that's more because it doesn't seem like my type of game than anything else. At the same time I doubt the hype about Fez is that it is that good, especially after having watched some let's plays of it.

You definitely need to be able to not give a shit and sustain yourself if you want to work as an auteur. I thnk even people like Gabe Newell receive a lot of hate every day, but to my knowledge he at least keeps it personal and within his email. He doesn't have a twitter account where he just lets people talk. Nobody knows how to guard themselves because there is such a dissension between real life and the internet. People are more likely to be fake in real life and truthful on the internet. And thus most people are likely to open themselves up because they weren't expecting this.

I think the next generations growing up with the internet will likely be more truthful in real life as well as on the internet, maintaining less of a chasm between the two. And I see that as a good thing, because it's better to work with the truth than to work with lies. Not that any of them matter in the end, it's all about what each person individually thinks of themselves.

This thread is the first time I have heard of Annoyed Gamer but I stopped visiting Game Trailers when it stopped just hosting game trailers. Apparently this is the twitter drama:

http://i.imgur.com/2TPVNwp.png

While the level of abuse developers get from gamers is not acceptable at all, Phil Fish has told people to choke on his cock, told a Japanese developer all Japanese games suck, said to PC gamers that PC's are for spreadsheets, etc. He does seem to have a knack for controversy.

I'm not hating, by the way. I think if I was in the same situation I'd be saying the wrong things too.

Edit: Also, I suspect he'll be back

Edited by Taylor

But thinking about it, it's easy when you work in a game company, because you aren't in contact with the public, but with indie games, "author games", the guy become associated with the product and have to take everything on his back. It must be tough really.

I don't know how i would react, alone in my room trying to make a game without money and the problems you usually come up in life, if i received a " Go kill yourself you don't deserve to live " email each day, for 2 years.

^ This, exactly.

This is what I mean by saying that I feel for him.

Otherwise, it's interesting how this intertwines with the other recent episode I reported, of the COD devs insulted and invited to kill themselves in the other topic.

I mean, I'm worried. In the sense that if you read around, kids are considering these kind of posts "feedback"; the fact that they are addressing a celebrity entitles to the worst kind of comments.

The other thing thay annoys me a lot in this story, is the self-entitlement of an opinionist, basically implying that the success you have as a developer is just because of the work of journalists – which is in part true, but it cannot become a value of exchange.

The thing gets even more annoying to me thinking the Beer guy was a PR for 5 vg companies since 1997, so I guess he has had his fair amount of crap to shovel around, I don't get why one should jump the fence and start throwing himself.

@Taylor: I also think he'll be back, he could also be riffing on this just to get more attention; in the meantime I think there are a few things coming out of these recent events to think about.

Edited by blackdog

Jesus, that Twitter log. That's a full-blown meltdown right there.

If you can't handle the swathes of criticism you're guaranteed to get from the press and fans then you really shouldn't be directly interacting with them, as mentioned above use someone else to handle that. Characters like AnnoyedGamer do strike me as dicks, but letting them get to you so much speaks of someone not really possessing a mind capable of handling criticism or insults. Imagine this guy in a traditional workplace where he's got to take orders and criticism — doesn't sound like it'd go too well.

If he gets a good consultant and plays smart on the market, he can secure enough for a lifetime, with what he made with this one game.

In the meantime, he can become an opinionist too, paying a visit to the very own Gametrailers and participate in some show like Jaffe.

Edited by blackdog