MrSkellyBones

[CS:GO] de_sake worklog by MrSkellyBones

de_sake Worklog

Going to use this thread as a progress log (prepare for WIP copypasta) until the final release of de_sake (thats saké  as in the japanese rice beer). The basic layout is done and I've moved on to texturing and detail work already. Here's what the layout looks like.

U5WS4Sb.png?1

They style of the map is going to be similar to an abandoned mill/nuke so lots of rust/brick textures. Gameplay wise I want there to be lots of wallbangs/weak cover so sheet metal brushes and hollow boxes are strewn about. I'm slowly eliminating as much prop based cover as I can so i have better control of this. B is a little more seculded and has a harder rotation then A, but a more difficult uphill rout to assault. Here's a layout with rout and first encounter areas highlighted. Right now the entrance into A yard sort of mirrors the entrance to B site. Something I'm currently not proud of. I Plan on reworking it a bit.

A is placed farther back in the map with more entrances  I'm currently learning how to make my own blend textures to give a little more life to the map (mostly dirt/grass on cement). So far I've detailed most of B. Here's what it looks like so far.

66Icteph.jpg

This is T-Street. It brances off of mid and leads to B. The stone building is B-Apartments and my first ever detail work =D

dpI4UtMh.jpg

There's more cover but a lot of risk rushing this way with the CT window overlooking the narrow hallway. Proud of the support beam work. =D. The doors are overlays with homemade frames.The battle gives T's a good view into B-side but with lot's of risk do to it's small size.

mcqDqR7h.jpg

Farther up you'll find the ramp up to B-site level. Accidently ate the light that was at the top.

KW0f6gSh.jpg

If you chose not to take the appartment route you'll have to use B-steps. A much wider but less covered route to attack from. This car is the only sparce lower area cover.

zM6PEd0h.jpg

Here's B-Steps. Homemeade rail. The double door is an overlay.

ngOsa0Nh.jpg

The detail work on the brick factory. Concrete floor suppots. Windows are textured. I think this needs more windows.

JtURWzTh.jpg

CT Looking down B-Ramp.

Lcww6jHh.jpg

Rust shack and back alley on the CT side of the B Bombsite (bomb plants go about the bottom left corner in this screen shot). Thin walls make wall bang's possiable.

ZaFiO7ch.jpg

Opposite corner. The garage is slightly open to encourange wallbangs. Also makes a nifty spot for popflashes.

12bKFwKh.jpg

CT entrance to Office, the drop down spot into B site from mid. You can use the ramp or jump up the side of the pipes.

RtEpBUJh.jpg

Not gonna lie. Kind of a crappy office. Windows and Door are props in this one.

qKYlO5Eh.jpg

I call this spooky. It goes to mid. The outside jagged brushes are breakable so you can fit more then one person though shoudl you want.

EGomrjDh.jpg

To get into spooky from mid you have to enter a vent. This is the site that greets T's once they get in. Makeshift ladder with the support beams.

tpp6cM3h.jpg

And up that ladder is this. And that's why I call it spooky. Around that left corner is office. EDIT: got to fix repeating textures here >_>

And that's about where I am so far. I'm going to start detailing mid and the opposite wall on T-road. Im still learning how to work with props and overlays. I've done layouts for a few maps in the past (in TF2 mainly),  but this is the first time I've moved on to texturing and detail so it's been quite the learning experience. I'm having a lot of fun and it's a very rewarding process. If you have any tips or suggestions I'd love to hear them. =)

EDIT: Here's a flat overview to give a better idea of the routs and negative space. I feel like there should be a little more negative A side but I'll probably work that in with brushs/props later.

YjwcXOI.png?1?3905

EDITEDIT: Some more bits. T Rush timers to either a or b are about the same at 16 seconds. CT's have an easier rotation to the back of sites at about 10 seconds. However these spots are easier to counter so moving behind the t-side of the site is required which comes out to 16 seconds for at least one CT. I expect the map to slightly CT sided atm. I'm somewhat OK with that but it will take a lot more testing before I really know.

You can download the layout version here (no textures). Please feel free to test it out if you'd like. I could use the gameplay input. Note that a lot of the prop based cover has been replaced with brush based. There are also some brush errors, that are no corrected in my current working version.

Edited by MrSkellyBones

Layout looks okay, but those indoor corridors/ramps seem very narrow. That might be okay for one exotic route, but not really if you want several people rushing through there at once. Also, make sure you use playerclip brushes to make sure that players dont het stuck in your support beams and such.

Layout looks okay, but those indoor corridors/ramps seem very narrow. That might be okay for one exotic route, but not really if you want several people rushing through there at once. Also, make sure you use playerclip brushes to make sure that players dont het stuck in your support beams and such.

Thank you for the feedback! I wasn't really sure at what point to do playerclips so I'm waiting on them a bit while I figure out where all the func_details will be. As for the hallways, there's only two primary ones. Mid to B and T-Street to B. Mid to B is more of a delayed route. It's not meant for a full on team rush. T-Street to B does allow 2 people to run side by side down the first half but up the ramp you can only go one at a time. It's probably a better tactic to 2-3 split apartments and T-stairs. Like I said though I have really limited playtest time with this layout. I'd like to organize some 10mans on it as soon as I'm done detailing/optimizing. Widening up the appartment ramps might be a good change for gameplay.

Something I've been having issues with is justifying some of the routes ascetically. For instance when going into spooky from mid you break a vent and crawl into what essentially is a hallway that visually appears to be the inside of a wall. It feels... hokey. It's the same where spooky connects to office. I'm trying to work in more believable geometry and textures as I design the overall look of each route but it's been a much more difficult task then I anticipated. 

Edited by MrSkellyBones

You can add the playerclips as late as you want, just make sure you do the basics before you begin testing with other human players.

As for tactics/layout: you might know where everything is, and that route X will become very narrow after three turns, but when a public server runs your map for the first time, people are not going to put that much thought in it. You can easily have 5 man go that route, just because they are following each other. If they run into one of the many chokepoints, that might be problematic, especially since the server may have player collision turned on. Try to make your map play well in several scenario's. On the one side of the spectrum there is 5v5 competitive with people who know your map and made strategies for it (if you are interested in making a competitive map), and on the other hand you might have 16vs16 noobs who have never seen your map before. 

Update! Up to sake_52A. I paused on detailing in order to get the rest of the map textured and presentable. I also added some player clips to make stairs and pathing a little smoother. I added some hint brushes to box in some buildings for optimization and found and fixed some func details. Finally I brought in the sky box so it's no longer just surrounding the map in one big brick so you aren't drawing nearly as many visleaves in game.

http://imgur.com/a/hJv0c

WoO7f21h.jpg

Two main paths to A

jaDIIiah.jpg

Shed Side

tNaZWxBh.jpg

Ramp Side

3eXYOhKh.jpg

A yard

ao3edfDh.jpg

A Bombsite

4QgEhiXh.jpg

Way to heaven from CT Spawn

Wc95bB4h.jpg

Heaven Watching A Site

vTBro86h.jpg

CT Hut into A Site

hlmBsgch.jpg

Mid Into A Yard or A Site

EDIT: Download link! https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41027277/de_sake_052A.bsp

To do before beta list:

Detail work

Soundscape

3D Skybox

Out of play detail areas

Optimization

???? Am I missing anything?

Edited by MrSkellyBones

de_sake_053A

XESADyn.jpg

Looking at various support beam shapes. I think I like the on on the right the most. It will be easiest to implement with the new roof.

1Jntic3.jpg

A Ramp detailed. Need to rework the support wall as it looks pretty awful. Might cut wholes in it or something.

Gvttm53.jpg

A yard building. Stacks will be continued in the 3D Skybox.

Oa1kx53.jpg

A yard with better brush work. Rounded the corners and lifted a rail. Added ramps into A site.

KaormRV.jpg

Another angle

KOu6cqO.jpg

New A roof. Need to decide on a material type.

0HbWfNY.jpg

The roof from inside. Old support that I didn't like still sitting up there.

Ye4xzWm.jpg

T-spawn road. You can see what I'm trying, and failing, to do.

That's where I am atm. Going to do a little more work tonight. Over the next couple of days I'll be trying to work out proper brush detailing of A site. I also have to start working on areas outside of the map for detail.

Edited by MrSkellyBones

Hello. Up to version 64. More Detail work done and lots of little tweaks for gameplay. My friends got to play a couple 10 mans on the map so I got to make a lot of changes to help out with the competitive flow. Here are a few before and afters!

Mid Before and After

hXh2CD7.jpg

coA9zyU.jpg

A Site Before and After

Bk6c1Wy.jpg

zyVXAcP.jpg

Angle from heaven before and after.

ILA8SDi.jpg

yFOz2AD.jpg

BSite Before and After. Still working on some things here.

Q4U53Fp.jpg

sb1uReY.jpg

CT Spawn Before and After

nCnB6Vb.jpg

GtYUTrK.jpg

Still got a long way to go but I'm really happy with the way things are shaping up! More work today and I have to optimize Mid a bit as it's drawing to many visleafs.

Edited by MrSkellyBones

Did a little bit of work last night detailing outside of B. I have to fix the windows but I like the over all effect. The grass is casting a rather odd shadow on the displacement map there. I need to find a way to fix that.

The view from B Site. White panels on the fence stop players from blending in with the background. Might change the darker ones.

nyE4Sb6.jpg

What you can see down the way so far. Going to build up a hill and fence and run that to the 3D skybox in the future.

dWlR99U.jpg

33U7w3c.jpg

Did a little bit of work last night detailing outside of B. I have to fix the windows but I like the over all effect. The grass is casting a rather odd shadow on the displacement map there. I need to find a way to fix that.

The view from B Site. White panels on the fence stop players from blending in with the background. Might change the darker ones.

nyE4Sb6.jpg

What you can see down the way so far. Going to build up a hill and fence and run that to the 3D skybox in the future.

dWlR99U.jpg

33U7w3c.jpg

Just disabling shadows will do the job

Edited by TheOnLY

nyE4Sb6.jpg

dWlR99U.jpg

33U7w3c.jpg

Just disabling shadows will do the job

Thanks! Got it sorted out.

Played today for the first time. Timing to get to the bombsites feels right and there are interesting choke points with nice covers.

The problem for me is that the map feels too convoluted, too many turns, too many windows and line of sights to check.

Also there's a bit too much platforming going on.

The inside of site A feels particularly nailed as far as entrances and camping spots go :)

It's been some time since I've uploaded something on this map. Mostly because it's been a while since I worked on it.  A couple weeks back I fired hammer back up and started... er... hammering away again. I've made some progress in terms of how I build things and it was surprisingly easy to get back in to it and spot the issues and iron things out. Though I'm far from done, I decided to release the map as a beta so I can test the layout in 10 mans. Early reports were more or less how I expected. It was too cramped and to dark in many areas. A couple weeks have passed since then and I've been working quite a bit to make a map with a much better flow. Ascetically, it's still pretty awful but right now it plays better than I could have hoped so I got that going for me. Below is a screenshot dump of the latest build I'll be uploading tomorrow.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=222213032

C7E3F7474332256BC48963A1D20DF841B7FF4693

9CBCC5F2CC7BBC90E997DC7E96CDBA070E0787AA

71780F06B61D3A39284B61B9859DFD122521CBE0

5DDAEB9364F6FDF76571EB9ADED61EBF5E743A55

8FB8531C0DA335F679899BD3CFD9161709B4E12C

1827C03403B9D2650A1C30582B09FBBEC5AC6BC4

7E2849BDE882B0F84C354A9A23E2439E10D06F56

This overview is the current workshop layout and will change a little after tomorrow.

All and all these past couple of weeks have been humbling. For everything I learned in the past there is still much much more to discover. I hope one day my map will be an accomplished and enjoyable map to play on. Until then I'll keep on hammering. =)

Edited by MrSkellyBones

Documenting some changes to the A Yard and Catwalk sections. The yellow shed was one of the oldest buildings on my map, probably the second or third one I ever made in hammer so it's kind of sad to see it go. That said, I feel like the area looks a lot better with it gone, and I get to bring back a few ideas from much older versions of the map.

Old T entrance to A yard.

Z3BAu3B.jpg

New T yard entrance

tWZPFqL.jpg

Old Blue Box section.

hkpjBqo.jpg

New blue box section.

z22D9by.jpg

Old A Yard with Yellow still in place and mid boost.

NCa6yKR.jpg

New A Yard with the new building and catwalk entrance.

pUaOcSL.jpg

Old mid cat to boost spot.

DTkzn1v.jpg

New mid cat to A yard connector.

k85tPnw.jpg

I don't quite like the look of the new building. The grey supports look really odd imbedded in with the bricks and I haven't worked out quite what the upper half will look like. Right now it's to uniform with the windows and all right angles. I'm going to add another vertical element I think and begin detailing it with props and decals.

Edited by MrSkellyBones