The Last Of Us - SPOILER THREAD

knj

So i think this is a good idea (i know some of you have the game) to talk about this game and don't spoil anything to other guys.

i just got mine in my PS3, and am listening to soundtrack hyped as shit.

i just learned that thanks to preordering i overpaid the game, but shit i love ND so it doesn't matter for me :)

and i hope this game is THAT good, atm i feel like a kid at the christmas eve :D

So i've started playing this game again due to the saving issues yesterday, and i love the prequel, i had tear in my eye every time i played it when Sara died :(

Edited by knj

I figure we need to do spoiler tags here, since people that haven't finished it are still going in here :G

EDIT: Faak eet!

I loved that the ending actually took such a sad twist, considering the consequences of Joels actions, and actually had you second guessing it up until the very end. You could say that it's a cheap out to be able to do a sequel, but it worked for me. The alternative of having her die but finding a cure would be sad and encouraging as well I suppose, but after everything you've gone through, you get why he'd be this attached, but it obviously feels like the wrong thing to do.

Oh and giraffes :)

Ah good thinking.

Okay that ending was really something, when i entered the surgery room and there was a big pause i thought that was the chance for a multiple choice so i waited a little bit, nothing happened then thought what the hell and killed the surgeons. I would have loved to have seen an alternative ending.

Early on i figured Ellie would be killed whilst in Joels arms by a solider the same as his daughter, so i wasn't far off!, really good how they brought that scene back.

man. that felt like it would never end and i was quite disappointed it did. i will need to let that settle in before making any judgments, but overall i feel it's pretty "brave" to do that kind of thing in a video game.

some things worth noting:

best cutscene animation in any game ever.

best cinematography in any game ever (felt like an actual camera instead of the typical cameras flying through the air on splines).

best writing and voice acting in any game ever.

the giraffes.

the sheer relief when you clear out infected, my god how tense is this fucking game.

everything else.

When you're in the University and you fall into the dark rooms surrounded by about 9 clickers and a bloater at the end.. i was panicking like hell creeping past everything.. now that was tense.

I messed up under the bridge before the Hospital and brought 2 bloaters towards me, mad kiting skills

Edited by Z3LCIAH

I figure we need to do spoiler tags here, since people that haven't finished it are still going in here :G

I loved that the ending actually took such a sad twist, considering the consequences of Joels actions, and actually had you second guessing it up until the very end. You could say that it's a cheap out to be able to do a sequel, but it worked for me. The alternative of having her die but finding a cure would be sad and encouraging as well I suppose, but after everything you've gone through, you get why he'd be this attached, but it obviously feels like the wrong thing to do.

Oh and giraffes :)

The whole sequence right up until the surgery room had to be the most uncomfortable sequence of events ever, but not in a bad way. And when you get to the surgery room, and have no choice but to kill everybody...fuck. Thinking back on it, I kind of like that they didn't give you multiple options. As uncomfortable as it was likely for almost everyone to actually do (I tried waiting or walking away as well, thinking of the bigger picture), it made you realize that they wanted you to have very specific feelings about the whole thing and that it isn't about player choice, but what Joel would do in this situation. Just ties in to the whole brutality of the whole game really, into his character, in his actions, how he acts, etc. Through and through, it definitely was an unexpected and off-beat ending compared to any other game/movie, that's for sure. Couldn't predict what was going to happen at all. And when he continues his whole lie/narrative until the very end. Man, what game/movie has had a character finish the story on a lie like that?!

Overall, how I can sum up the game...a very human experience. I really felt for the characters and got engrossed for the whole thing, couldn't put the controller down (must have played almost 8hrs straight last night :P). And it's great the little touches they did all across the game where they weaved the story and emotions through gameplay...how they made every typical game transitions for example like the sliding doors or what not, they were pretty different each time and werenice little character driven moments. The whole sequence after killing David, how Ellie is distant as we reach the hospital and the ladder, and the giraffes. Ah!

And all that Rick said. Agreed. I bet that in the coming years, with all the 'next-gen' technology and all the performance capture stuff, others still won't come close for a bit to the sheer believability and humanity of the characters from this game that make you care about them so much and not to mention the amazingly tense gameplay that complements the whole experience. Anyways, the game was a masterpiece. I think this might very well dethrone Half-Life 2 for me for my favorite game ever.

Do we have to use spoiler tags in here? It's a spoiler thread after all...anyway...

Really enjoyed it, was doubting it at first as after the initial opening section it descended into familiar Uncharted territory facing off against human enemies and didn't really capture what I thought what the game was going to be about or seem that unique for a new IP, It did eventually get going though when Joel met Ellie and I ended up really getting into it. I love how ND put so much effort into the little details, like that little rabbit that Ellie kills with the arrow and strings up to her horse, or the giraffes, or how Ellie gives you a high five at the Dam when you hook up the bridge across it.

Actually thought that when Ellie was in prison the guy they were chopping up on the table might have been Joel :P Would have certainly been one memorable way to end it...I did like the ending and felt it made sense (Joel replacing his lost daughter effectively), but I hope it wasn't contrived in such a way as to prepare for a sequel, I think I'd be happy with it as a standalone game. ND could of course prove me wrong though.

There were some minor issues, things like AI companions running about loudly whilst you're trying to be quiet, or moments where you are sneaking up behind someone and Joel suddenly shouts 'Ellie, stay with me!' that break the tension, nothing too bad though.

Overall it was awesome

By the way the bit with the guy and his brother mid way through, was there a choice between which one you saved? I let his brother get bitten and die, then he ended up shooting himself anyway, but it felt like I could have easily let him die, did anyone have things play out this way?

There were some minor issues, things like AI companions running about loudly whilst you're trying to be quiet, or moments where you are sneaking up behind someone and Joel suddenly shouts 'Ellie, stay with me!' that break the tension, nothing too bad though.

Overall it was awesome

By the way the bit with the guy and his brother mid way through, was there a choice between which one you saved? I let his brother get bitten and die, then he ended up shooting himself anyway, but it felt like I could have easily let him die, did anyone have things play out this way?

I can understand the choice of just basing the detection on the player. If they based it on your AI companions as well, you'd always be detected and that is far more annoying than the system currently where they are essentially ignored.

And no, don't think there was a choice in that scene with the brother at all? What made you think there was a choice in that?

Also...so David, the cannibal Ellie meets during Winter...that's Nolan North.

Edited by deceiver

It seemed that when the guy and his brother got attacked and I was sniping from upstairs, that fast moving health meters appeared above their heads and I only had time to save one, so assumed there was choice there. Could be mistaken.

Also I understand of course why they made the companions invisible, wasnt complaining about it, my point was that invisible or not it's distracting when someone is stomping about and running everywhere when you are in an area you've been told to be as quiet and slow moving as possible in to avoid detection, that's all.

Edited by PaulH

Hah yeah, I think everyone must've waited when they arrived at the surgery room, trying to get around the side of the surgeon with the scalpel and realising that you have to kill him to move on. And yeah, the image of him standing with her in his arms while a gun is being pointed at him again was almost too obvious a reference, but an extremely effective one none the less.

Was also totally surprised when I saw that Nolan North was doing David as well, guess that's what you get when you actually get voice actors to work, rather than just speak in their natural voice ;)