Respawn Entertainment's - Titanfall

Kosire

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/03/19/ea-again-delays-titanfall-for-xbox-360/

So...Xbox 360 version delayed until April 8 (Apr 11 outside US).  Today is March 19 and the original Xbox 360 release date was set for March 25. So the Xbox 360 version was not gold already?  Or are they talking about last minute server side fixes?

From the article:

“I’ve been playing the game a lot, and it is fantastic,” EA executive Patrick Soderlund wrote in a blog post. ”But we see a few things that can be made even better, so we’re giving Bluepoint a little more time to do just that and deliver an epic ‘Titanfall’ experience for Xbox 360 players.”

Is it possible that initial sales on Xbox One are not as strong as EA and Microsoft were hoping for so they are pushing out the 360 release to hopefully sell more Xbox One consoles?  There, I said it. Don't get me wrong, I've been playing it a lot on Xbox One and am loving it. Remember, Titanfall is supposed to be the first big game that really pushes XBO.  

An issue with the Titanfall / XBO hardware bundle is that while it is a "deal" at US$499 for the console+TF it is a digital download code for Titanfall.  No box.  No disc.  Sounds great and efficient but of the 5 different Gamestops I've spoken with (all in different parts of US) store managers all said the same thing: people want their disc esp. for a roughly 50 gb game.  Further, they also said that the price of the console is just too much so they are waiting for it on 360 as a relatively cheap option to play it (excluding the obvious yet Origin PC option).

tl;dr:  it's a great game but it is still beholden to market dynamics and issues with EA and Microsoft. Hopefully it will all work out. 

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/03/19/ea-again-delays-titanfall-for-xbox-360/

So...Xbox 360 version delayed until April 8 (Apr 11 outside US).  Today is March 19 and the original Xbox 360 release date was set for March 25. So the Xbox 360 version was not gold already?  Or are they talking about last minute server side fixes?

From the article:

“I’ve been playing the game a lot, and it is fantastic,” EA executive Patrick Soderlund wrote in a blog post. ”But we see a few things that can be made even better, so we’re giving Bluepoint a little more time to do just that and deliver an epic ‘Titanfall’ experience for Xbox 360 players.”

Is it possible that initial sales on Xbox One are not as strong as EA and Microsoft were hoping for so they are pushing out the 360 release to hopefully sell more Xbox One consoles?  There, I said it. Don't get me wrong, I've been playing it a lot on Xbox One and am loving it. Remember, Titanfall is supposed to be the first big game that really pushes XBO.  

An issue with the Titanfall / XBO hardware bundle is that while it is a "deal" at US$499 for the console+TF it is a digital download code for Titanfall.  No box.  No disc.  Sounds great and efficient but of the 5 different Gamestops I've spoken with (all in different parts of US) store managers all said the same thing: people want their disc esp. for a roughly 50 gb game.  Further, they also said that the price of the console is just too much so they are waiting for it on 360 as a relatively cheap option to play it (excluding the obvious yet Origin PC option).

tl;dr:  it's a great game but it is still beholden to market dynamics and issues with EA and Microsoft. Hopefully it will all work out. 

lol. I didn't even realise this was coming out on 360. That makes EA's recent comments about the PlayStation 4 not being powerful enough for Titanfall seem kind of hilarious.

Speaking of PS4:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/19/5526942/report-ea-lands-deal-for-titanfall-2-sequel-wont-be-microsoft

Doubt anyone would be surprised if that turns out true

Glad to see it.  There is so much speculation out there but for reasons unrelated to the work Respawn did there are only so many copies TF can sell right now on XB1 due to the relatively small hardware install base and the fact that it is still an expensive option as I was saying earlier.  I expect adding PS platforms will pave a much brighter future for TF compared to staying MS/PC exclusive.

In the end, we have to trust in RS to do what's best for the game and keep control of the IP...such as being adamant about no microtransactions in Titanfall (seriously...bravo for that) and sticking with buy the game, buy the optional DLC map packs if you want.