FrieChamp

Ryse - A not-so-exclusive XBOX One title by Crytek

Christ, I was going to post a smarmy comment about the dog and feel all smart and superior - and I'm late to the party. Seriously though, has a dog - legit next gen. I got to see a load of the Ryse concept artwork a while back and god damn it looked good! Nice to see Crytek branching out a little!

Whoever decided to have the countdown in Roman Numerals is an idiot. Can't wait to see the game in errrrrr, XIX days, V hours and XIVII minutes! The only reason I can't count that high is because Final Fantasy is only up to number 14.

My mate works on this though and he said it's looking great so far. Looking forward to seeing how Crytek do with a non-Crysis game :)

Luke told me he doesn't like you.

Good because he's a complete dick. Make sure to relay that back!!!

I think the trailer does a great job of highlighting exactly why Kinect isn't something we want to see in games like this. I bet almost everyone who watched it thought 'erm no thanks' rather than Microsoft's expectation of 'HOLY SHIT THIS IS THE FUTURE!!!!!'.

I'm sure the game will be great anyway, but it just shows how misguided Microsoft's view of the future is. They really do think Kinect is going to become a fundamental part of mainstream gaming. I really don't think it is, apart from maybe the voice stuff (which hardly requires something as advanced as Kinect).

I hope they come up with more interesting ways of using Kinect than 'wave your body around and your character does it too!'. Things like characters in RPGs responding to the expression on my face might actually impress me and enhance my immersion, swinging my arms around like a tosser won't.

I hope they come up with more interesting ways of using Kinect than 'wave your body around and your character does it too!'. Things like characters in RPGs responding to the expression on my face might actually impress me and enhance my immersion, swinging my arms around like a tosser won't.

Totally not a fan of Kinect, but that's the direction the new unit is heading to, for what I understand. More precision, to receive input from subtle moves, (emotional) status of the player... so i think that integration with a classic control scheme, could add some value.

For eg I sometimes find myself stretching my neck like if i could get a different point of view in a fixed camera game (like Trials), or I could say that in a game like Batman the camera ends up in a weird spot but you cannot immediately fix it because you cannot move the stick... tracking this kind of things could be a welcomed addition.

Of course the additional dev costs or simply the entry price to have the Kinect is overkill for what seems interesting to do.

Btw I know some people that bought an Xbox toward the end of the cycle just because of Kinect; i tried the sports games and they are a hell of a lot more entertaining to play with/against a friend, than the Wii's.

I didn't expect this... http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/why-ryse-is-the-most-frustrating-game-of-e3/

I’m on the battlefield. I’m stomping through the corpses of my comrades swinging my sword at anything that moves. I begin a combo, I slash twice and then whooom slow motion is initiated, shit is about to get ‘cinematic’. A button prompt hovers elusively above the sword I’m about to drive into the throat of my enemy… argh I’m too slow! The prompt flickers, disappears.

I missed it. Damn.

But then somehow, for some reason, I still complete the cinematic ‘kill’.

What?

Maybe it’s a bug I think, but no. Next time I deliberately press the wrong button. The kill goes ahead, no consequences. Then I try hitting no buttons whatsoever. The kill goes ahead. I put the controller on the table in front of me, the kill goes ahead.

What is going on here?

I ask one of the Crytek people hovering at the booth – is this a bug? Why am I completing kills when I hit the wrong button prompt? Or, worse, no button at all. Turns out it was a deliberate design choice.

“We don’t want the player to feel frustrated,” I am told.

I can think of a few games were not doing the QTE still kills the dude but you get less reward. Ex: In Bloodforge you'll always kill the guy, but you miss out on combo hits and currency compared to mashing the button. I'm fairly sure this is how it works in Ryse, but it isn't reported because Kotaku.

I don't mean to defend this either, I think it was pretty rubbish in Bloodforge and the justification was being "casual friendly." Ultimately if your goal is to not frustrate the player maybe consider not having quick-time events because they're shit.

Remember seeing this on E3 and i was shocked visually it looks really impressive, love that era too. Those QTE though, after the third or fourth fight i was bored watching it nevermind playing it.