Sprony

A Game of Thrones

Can’t say I’m really happy about how’s going, but today was another hilarious day of wannabe writers manifesting their disdain for the show runners on social media.

That Daenarys was a (benevolent) tyrant was clear from the beginning, and that she

Spoiler

would flip

was quite the given, considering her family past. I mean, what better Chekhov’s gun than all those stories about the Mad King wanting to “burn them all”? They had to pay it off. Also Varys had a line about how Westerosi would “flip a coin” every Targaryen king…

Yeah but she's never burnt innocents. She's always harped on about being the breaker of chains and freeing people from tyranny and then she goes and one ups her dad and actually burns everyone in the city.

I'm not happy with this season, everything feels super rushed and not much of it makes sense. So many character arcs have just been disregarded or fizzled out. I'm not claiming to be a writer or anything, I can't write for shit, but there's been a noticeable change since they ran out of book material.

On 5/17/2019 at 9:55 AM, Beck said:

Yeah but she's never burnt innocents. She's always harped on about being the breaker of chains and freeing people from tyranny and then she goes and one ups her dad and actually burns everyone in the city.

I'm not happy with this season, everything feels super rushed and not much of it makes sense. So many character arcs have just been disregarded or fizzled out. I'm not claiming to be a writer or anything, I can't write for shit, but there's been a noticeable change since they ran out of book material.

Quoting a friend from Facebook: She destroyed Quarth, in Mereen she kills all the fathers/head of families without any due trial (for as corrupted you can’t say ALL men were terrible), she kills a traitor (fine)… and his prostitute/slave by locking them in a trunk, Kal Drogo promises to destroy Westeros for her and she’s very happy, likewise when she rounds up the Dothraki to go over the sea, she doesn’t use the “democracy” argument.

A tyrant is a tyrant, even if benevolent, they always on the razor edge.

I did find a bit extreme burning the city, but I think her portrayal was pushed to hint that, before the “ill use fear”. I think in her eyes the people she burnt were criminals to support the Lannisters and not rebel(?). She also looked very paranoid and I thought Tyron’s head would roll in the first episode really.

All of this not to justify or say the writing is amazing, like I said I’m not happy, but I think the previous season was worse.

Also not sure how much the lack of source material is to blame, the fact that books are not coming out makes me think Martin is quite involved in deciding where things are going, I mean we know the book ending will be different and how can you ensure that if you don’t discuss how to evolve the story and hit certain beats. Also Martin has publicly complained of fan theories being actually true so he changed stuff. That can’t be good for narrative, not only he had to come up with one new ending but two lol

I'm kinda at peace with it, other shows I follow are at the top right now :D

Edited by blackdog