garthbartin

de_abbottabad (wip)

Those screenshots are so dark I can't tell what I'm looking at, brah

I'm working on lighting all the shadowed areas with artificial lights, do you think the environmentally lit places are too dim as well?

If you want to do a map by night, there are a lot of useful settings on these pages :

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Left_4_Dead_Sky_List

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Left_4_Dead_2_Sky_List

Those screenshots are so dark I can't tell what I'm looking at, brah

I'm working on lighting all the shadowed areas with artificial lights, do you think the environmentally lit places are too dim as well?

I agree with DamDam, look at l4d and l4d2 to get an idea of what's acceptable night lighting, I think you'd have trouble with your current approach

Because I have adhd and can't focus on any one part of the map I'm jumping about, right now I'm working on the fields surrounding the compound. I've never really been good at the outsides of a map, so I'm not really sure what to do here.

satellite-photo-osama-bin-laden-digital-

I have to make that, and right now I'm just laying down a gigantic displacement for the fields and then doing the roads with brushwork. At the end of it I'll 1/16th scale it and throw it in a 3d skybox. How far out fromt he compound do you think I should go? Also do you think that's a good approach?

I am proud.

I would not keep it this dark tho because peeps will get depressed. The actual place was much more joyful. Also Osama did not really die.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(¦)~~~~~~~~~ÃREDEE

I am proud.

I would not keep it this dark tho because peeps will get depressed. The actual place was much more joyful. Also Osama did not really die.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(¦)~~~~~~~~~ÃREDEE

gReoF??

Welp after some absence here is my work on the exterior of the compound.2048x1152.resizedimage2048x1152.resizedimage

2048x1152.resizedimage

I'm going to add some buildings walls and trees near the horizon to break it up. And of course it's super wip, I'm probably gonna change the fields texture. Any recommendations or tips on how to get it to blend better with the mountains int he distance? Also here's my reference image:

binladen-compound.jpg

Edited by garthbartin

fog controller

match the fog color with that of the sky and it will blend in much better.

Tweek the starting and ending values to your liking. The fog start value can be negitive for a slightly desaturating look.

Edited by JeanPaul

There be no need to have such a huge exterior. Or are they going to fly over it with the choppers.

So you could cut it off after some distance and then slant the floor up so they cant see the horizon.

Also about the lighting, its better to pick a darker sky and have your map brighter. You can have it pretty bright and still have it look like night then.

Or you can make the map entirely green nightvision style...

Edited by RD