Sign in to follow this  
Campaignjunkie

"From Earth" is a single player Source mod with its sh*t together... TF2 / CS:GO mappers who want to try SP design should work on it

hey, I don't normally shill for other projects, but it's seriously boggling my mind that this team is doing so many things right and they still need level designers --

FROM EARTH is a sci-fi Mirror's Edge-y parkour mod where you explore an alien world and solve puzzles with this cool crafting-system thing.

The core team is already made of solid coders, character modelers, and animators -- the most difficult people to recruit for a mod, and they already have them. The team has made 2 large SP mods before (Human Error, Water) and they know what they're doing.

If you are interested in the concept and want to dip your feet in single player design, or just make really pretty alien worlds and stuff, you should TELL THEM, because this is one of the few mod projects that is ambitious / scoped in the *right way*, and will almost definitely get finished and be fascinating in the end.

No, seriously... if I had time, I'd totally work on this. I really would. This is a fantastic opportunity to fill a gap in a portfolio or to try something new instead of TF2 or CS:GO or whatever you're mapping for. They won't waste your time.

my blog post that's pleading for people to join this mod -- http://www.blog.radi...-narrative.html

the mod's original "help wanted" post

http://hlssmod.net/i...?page=0&news=35

I'm pretty interested in doing SP stuff, but frankly that video looks a bit rough. And I'm a bit skeptical of the gameplay in the sense that what's being shown is basically touching terminals and examining bottles. So I guess... yeah. Reserving judgement.

edit: in fairness, this video is certainly more interesting:

Edited by FMPONE

Good finding FMPone, movement looks quite solid already. Puzzle mechanic can look limited at first, but afterall Portal does have just 2 firing modes and a few modifiers; I'm sure they plan to mix it up (the bottle changes color depending on the material that is on the machine). The animation, to me, seems a bit too "rich", animation-wise, but that is something to adjust when there's a general rithm to the whole action.

I've always been interested in sp design, my problem right now is that I have a very very old laptop with Windows :-/ I'll try to drop them a line and see if I can contribute in some way with the writing, I've always considered myself good at that, I'm interested in seeing how it works that in a videogame.

Edited by blackdog

Hmm it looks a little interesting.

The movement feeling that I got by watching the video FMPONE posted made me remember of how the characters in Aeon Flux moved:

I noticed how the bottle changed color during he craft, but I didn't see how the bottle would work in the gameplay. To open terminals/ doors? Hmm there can be a potential there

Ya there are alot of "mods" that go nowhere past weapon models and character concepts. I really like their movement stuff. Looks like Chopium joined the team.

I emailed him, and hope others do too.

Edited by Mr. Happy

Looks cool. Considering the movement system might it not have been better tomod Mirrors Edge? Or is ME unmoddable?

I believe it is not officially supported but people have found ways of using the unreal editor with the assets from the game to create their custom content. Last time I looked, it seemed like a pain in the butt to setup and to even manage to run your custom map, because the game was made to not allow it.

Looks cool. Considering the movement system might it not have been better tomod Mirrors Edge? Or is ME unmoddable?

I believe it is not officially supported but people have found ways of using the unreal editor with the assets from the game to create their custom content. Last time I looked, it seemed like a pain in the butt to setup and to even manage to run your custom map, because the game was made to not allow it.

Indeed, the game was shipped with the editor and it's not that tricky to get things running tbh, as long as you're aware of the limitations you should be good to go. (Like not really being able to run the level in the editor but only ingame, but that's the same when modding Skyrim... No BEAST lighting, etc.) I wouldn't recommend just delving into it and hoping to get things running though, just follow a guide and then you're golden.

I'm not sure you can make code changes, I doubt it. But it's quite easy to make levels using the ingame assets or even add new assets to the game.

Edited by Chimeray