knj

Call of Duty: Ghosts

I think you misunderstood my point, I'm not instructing anyone on how to do anything. All I was saying was that on a basic level the main purpose of a game is to be enjoyed and it'd be nice if more people simply appreciated that games existed and people work hard to make them fun, rather than bitching and moaning about them and condemning them before playing them based on their name. I don't think that's silly of me :P

I think the reason I bought it up was because my friend (who works in the industry) played Bioshock Infinite recently and spent the whole playthrough looking for reasons why it shouldn't have been given such good reviews, kinda made me think it was a sorry situation to be in is all.

It means that in my opinion some people seem to have lost the capacity to just switch off and enjoy games as an entertainment medium instead of over-analyzing and critiquing them. There are people out there who will formulate opinions on a COD game solely based on it being a COD game, without playing it. I didn't think I made it that hard to understand.

Yep. We look to games now to solve our age old existential crises. Books failed, movies failed, music failed, now it's up to games to take charge and illuminate these problems. I don't want to waste time just playing something, my time is too precious for that. I want something that will change my world view. We have to stop with the man shooters and make meaningful faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

I can appreciate your point, there are a lot of people out there who seem to think it's totally uncool to be into something that a lot of other people are into. There's probably some proper name for it, but I like to think of it as aversion to popularity. With these people it's a seriously uphill fight to convince them something is worth trying if they can see a lot of other people like it, very sad way to be.

I think with Call of Duty a lot of people are genuinely fatigued by it though, I know I am. Same for Assassin's Creed even though I have mostly really enjoyed those games. I guess some publishers have been experimenting with how much they can get away with releasing lots of sequels this generation. Of course there'll be a lot of people jumping on the 'fuck CoD' bandwagon...

It means that in my opinion some people seem to have lost the capacity to just switch off and enjoy games as an entertainment medium instead of over-analyzing and critiquing them. There are people out there who will formulate opinions on a COD game solely based on it being a COD game, without playing it. I didn't think I made it that hard to understand.

Yep. We look to games now to solve our age old existential crises. Books failed, movies failed, music failed, now it's up to games to take charge and illuminate these problems. I don't want to waste time just playing something, my time is too precious for that. I want something that will change my world view. We have to stop with the man shooters and make meaningful faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Nope, we can have both. But a yearly released cookie cutter shooter is an obvious cash grab.

I'd like to make snarky comments too, but I'm probably gonna get suckered into buying it...again :(

To me, CoD serves a purpose: give me roughly 6 hours of highly scripted, highly polished, decently voice acted shooting gallery gameplay with some epic looking set pieces. Is it worth $60 to me? That's a tougher call for me every year. But do I like to play such a game? Sure. On the plus side, it's only six hours long (sp anyway) thus it doesn't take me 50 hours to beat the campaign. And i found Blops2 zombie mode kind of fun. Wish they would do more with that but then you're making a second campaign and that gets real expensive...

CoD isn't the only type of game I like, but it is ONE of the games I like. If the game is good in comparison to Blops2 I'll get it. If it is like CoD:Blops Declassified on Vita which was a fucking disaster (no offense, those involved), no...won't be getting it.

:giggity:

Izuno but BlackOps 2 to me, was fucking disaster, it wasn't EPic, maybe I'm dumb as fuck but i didn't get the story straight (all the reviews was like - THE STORY IS SOLID, FUCINKG EPIC, and i was always like WTF?) i shot Mason in the head and story told me that i was aiming his leg ? WTF ?

gameplay - it was like game on rails with a croshair (this oldschool like Virtual Cop/The House of The Dead) but with ability to move, at the end i did just hold LMB and W to shoot and walk - that was the gameplay in this game - corridor/kill all badguys in windows or doors/section clear/next section with milions of npc's

and ancient graphics, damn i was sooo disapointed with BlackOps 2 - i really liked the firs one

Edited by knj

I said "epic looking set pieces" ... I did not say the game was epic or the story was epic. That's becoming a meaningless term in some ways. I just literally meant some of the set pieces or moments in the game were trying to have an epic look/feel to them. I found those attempts somewhat entertaining. That is all.

Wonder if this is real, Level Designer friend at IW doesn't talk about anything at all...

Edited by xfckup

Wonder if this is real, Level Designer friend at IW doesn't talk about anything at all...

One of the other dads at my kid's preschool is a design lead at IW...never says shit either (though I know not to ask) but he does wear a MW2, MW3, IW or other type of T-shirt LITERALLY EVERY DAY. Maybe there is a rule about M3 drivers required to wear shirts of one theme only.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-29-call-of-duty-ghosts-built-on-a-new-next-gen-engine

Can't see how they could keep on using the same heavily modified idTech 3 engine once again anyway, but then again I've been saying that for the last 3 years :G

Wonder if it's going to be using this tech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXl-fTVJ56M