Kirizai

Team Arguments

Hey guys, I'd like some help decyphering on what these two of my teammates are argueing about. From what I know, It's an arguement about what Game engine we should use/change to and modeling in a game engine. That's about all I know, I'd appreciate it if you guys could help me with clarifying everything so these two can stop arguing and continue in making our game.

This was a chat on skype.

Legend:

1:Programmer

2:LevelDesigner

The two engines: Unity and Unreal.

Our levels/dungeons are supposed to be "randomly generated".

We are around 18+ years so we are very new at this.

Note: I understand nearly nothing of this so.... Have at it.

1: Unity has snapping though... and mono is an ide I know for a fact udk has no ide all its own unless you wanna count kismet (I don't). Also shadows don't have to be "added".

2: UDK has snapping

2: Better snapping

1: Hold ctrl+shift in unity

1: Move

2: UDK is a lot more user friendly

2: and is used by The AI(A type college)

1: No its not. I strongly disagree with that. What's used by the ai?

2: UDK

2: UDK is extreamly easy to use

1: Not really.

2: You can create rooms in under 15seconds

2: You must have not used it then

1: Omg we've had this discussion. Engines are not for modelling.

2: I beg to differ

2: UDK does it

1: It does basic shapes, not all out modelling.

2: I never said it does full modeling

2: I said it creates rooms

2: and you can stuff to the rooms

2: Using static meshes

1: We need more than just boxes though dude.

1: Specifically our rooms need more depth than that, and for dungeons that aren't just stone rooms the geometry is entirely different.

2: Yeah...

1: keep going

2: I looked at a couple of videos about UDK, and most of the items are static meshes.

End of the chat/They stopped here.

Edited by Kirizai

They're just tools man, it's like comparing Maya with Max. Whatever you're most comfortable with, go ahead and make awesome things with it. Arguing which one is best is futile because it's so relative.

' timestamp='1366675709' post='330256']

They're just tools man, it's like comparing Maya with Max. Whatever you're most comfortable with, go ahead and make awesome things with it. Arguing which one is best is futile because it's so relative.

Well, personally I don't care, it may be just putting on the blame but honestly, it's just those two arguing. I need to think of a concrete answer, way to make them stop and clarify some things. One argue you can't model in a game engine like stuff catted before, another says they can and yada yada yada.

Erratic: "Tris..."? I don't know that word... sorry. :/

Edited by Kirizai

Agreed with HP, its all relative.

However I would say that generally people find Unity more user friendly. More to the point if you are all relatively inexperienced it generally works out better if you pick an engine that the programmers feel more comfortable with. Art pipeline is a lot easier to learn and experiment with.

Triangles. Like HP said it doesn't really matter. Though looking at the programmers concern it's probably that there's no source code for UDK which I'm assuming unity has? Arguing about which has better snapping is kind of ridiculous though...

Triangles. Like HP said it doesn't really matter. Though looking at the programmers concern it's probably that there's no source code for UDK which I'm assuming unity has? Arguing about which has better snapping is kind of ridiculous though...

Indeed, arguing about snapping is... stupid to say the least. Besides, one dislikes unity one loves it. See the problem?

Agreed. I think in the long term youll find a lot less roadblocks if you go the Unity route. If it makes you feel any better I worked in a very well funded Indie studio that argued about exactly the same thing for about 2 months, it was ridiculous, but its far from uncommon.

One arguement that keeps going over and over is the "You can't model in a game engine". The Level Designer argues that you can if only basic models. Ok, our game is doing procedural dungeons so, like Diablo II, it's randomized. The "Level designer" is making the "rooms" for the levels, if or if not the entire level itself. Can you or can you not model the "rooms" on a game engine?

It's not a yes or no question. You can if the rooms are really simple, it's hard to say without knowing what you're targeting. Either way it probably shouldn't be a deciding factor in 'which engine should we use'

Edited by Erratic

Hey I'm the LD, and just wanted to clear somethings up. The only reason why I brought up snapping was that in unity there is an asset called Pro Grids (free version, also I didn't like the default one), and it locks your snapping to a .25. Personally I found this highly annoying when trying to create some things. Now for why I wanted to switch to UDK was that most of us will be going to an art school that does 3D modeling. level design, and animation etc. I found out that the school uses UDK. So I gave UDK a try and I instally fell in love with it after messing with it for a while. I think the main reason was because it felt similar to SDK's Hammer and everything felt so natural to create stuff.

^ This. If you want to work in the games industry you'll want to become familiar with as many different toolsets as possible. Trust me it will help you immensely when job hunting.

It seems that we have come to a conclusion, or rather a compromise. Everyone would be happy if the programmer can program in C#.

In his opinion, he dislikes(a weak word) C++ or rather propreitary code(Unrealscript) immensely. I could give you a list of what he dislikes in C++ but I won't. Basically my question is is he able to code in C# for UDK(A plugin, "converter/translator" like HAXE)? Both would be happy, quite possibly very happy if this happens.