NeilJones313

New way to send a cover letter

You're probably right. Usually cover letters don't go that far, but since we're talking about "how to go beyond the ordinary cover letter": why just focus on the fluff and not back it up from the first second? Re-building a level/area from a Telltale game and adding signs that say "Hi! I'm Neil and I'd love to work at Telltale" (for example) would definitely grab their attention.

But maybe that's a little too much work :) Depends on how bad you want the job. BTW. Anybody from Telltale HR reading this? :v

But maybe that's a little too much work :) Depends on how bad you want the job. BTW. Anybody from Telltale HR reading this? :v

Yea that's how I was looking at it I didn't want to spend 2 - 3 weeks rebuilding a level and modeling non stop and then still not get the job. While making that video only took a couple hours.

Yea that's how I was looking at it I didn't want to spend 2 - 3 weeks rebuilding a level and modeling non stop and then still not get the job. While making that video only took a couple hours.

You obviously don't want the job badly enough then! ;)

Employers often want a guy who already know how to do art for the project they are doing so he can jump right into production without spending any time for formation;

Say if they hire for a medieval fantasy project, having medieval stuff in your book will definitely be a plus

Same thing with graphic quality, if it's a realistic next gen AAA, and you did some, you have a bonus; if it's for a cartoony style and you already made some cool hand painted textures that a bonus too.

If you are near and can relocate easily, it helps

If the theme of your work is irrelevant, but the quality is so outstanding compared to the other portfolios, that helps too.

So basically know yourself, know what the company is doing, and adapt your work to what they are looking for (or choose the right company and project which is making the same stuff you have in your folio ).

The personality of the candidate usually comes after that, especially for env grunt artist roles, you just have to be friendly and not being a dick, which shouldn't be too hard :) Although if that is for a full time position and they plan on keeping you for a long time, it becomes more relevant because they need to make you fit in the team.

But don't lick their shoes, your supposed to work for them, not them graciously allowing you to live your "dream"; they don't deserve that

Nice idea, the main concerns have already been stated. The main one is accessibility (and yt URLs are not so friendly to type), so just have a backup plan.

Well if they can look at a demo reel they should be able to view it

Big difference: a reel can be just watched, if you don't listen to your cover letter what does it conveys? ;)

Since we are at it, I'd say you record the audio again because it seems you are wispering, while i'd expect a nice, bright voice if I have to listen to it.

A employer is never going to hire a less skilled worker because of his/her coverletter, even though it runs at 28 fps and has stereo audio. Any time not spent on the actual content of the portfolio is pretty much wasted. IMHO~

Fair point, but the presumption here is about same quality portfolios and what would differentiate them. It is not that a couple of hours... or even a complete day of video editing, will make a difference in your modeling proficency.

Also, won't it be embarrassing when the "similar videos" thingy on the side will show similar coverletters to competing companies?

One thing to be careful of for sure; you either do that for a single company or... make the videos private, guess it shouldn't pop-up in the "related" then. Otherwise you have to feed it via personal website.

There are many unknowns, it most likely has nothing to do with the format of your letter, I've noticed over the years that companies are particularly bad at replying to job applications, for a ton of reasons

Yeah, it happens. I suspect that Telltale has also been going through some changes recently as two of the key players (directors/designers of The Walking Dead) have just split off to start a new company. I've known one of them for years and it's a pretty big loss for them. I'm not sure how many of the original dudes are still there actually.

Thanks guys, Its the one thing I hate about this industry. No matter how hard you work you can still end up not finding a job. Even if you do find a job and something happens to with your studio (which happens to much) then you're still out of a job. 

That's unfortunate, but that should motivate you to keep improving the portfolio.

You guys that are employed, do you know if your companies use software to filter applications? I've read a lot of big companies (in general, not limited to IT) do filter CVs by the number of keywords matching their parameters for a given job opening.

i hate videos and i hate cover letters

i care about these, in order

1. Portfolio

I don't read cover letters, and i definitely close videos unless someone is a VFX artist or an animator.

i usually don't even read emails.

If the portfolio impresses me, i'll read the email, then i'll read the resume just to see how long someone was at a company to see if they were bouncing around a lot* (lol multitasking)

that's just me though, but i wouldn't put it past other people in my position that feel the same way. If a studio is lucky enough to have a hiring manager, they can filter people for them. With how busy i am though, people are lucky enough to even get a response from me. I'm not trying to act like i'm on a high horse or anything, that's the brutal and unfortunate truth of the situation.  If i was responding to everyone and watching videos people submit me, it would seriously take me all day - every day.  We get flooded with entry level position applicants... and the only thing i have time for is the initial 5 seconds of looking at your portfolio to be impressed or not - then i'm out. better make sure that first image is a good one!

Short, blunt, simple, in-and-out - thats where you want to be.  

Edited by Kedhrin

That's unfortunate, but that should motivate you to keep improving the portfolio.

You guys that are employed, do you know if your companies use software to filter applications? I've read a lot of big companies (in general, not limited to IT) do filter CVs by the number of keywords matching their parameters for a given job opening.

The companies I've been too have used human's to read the applications and if the applicant weren't interesting enough, the mail would most likely get ignored.

I know myself, running my own thing and I'm getting a lot of mails from people when I look for someone, I just can't reply to every mail, if I like what I see but still might not be interested, then I answer. Sometimes it's not good replying too, have you at any moment wondered why politicians some times answers vaguely?

i hate videos and i hate cover letters

I think most of the people agrees, you are definitely never giving an interview to someone with an amazing letter and poor portfolio, that said, you have to spend sometime on that aspect anyway, since most studios require it. (I imagine the HR manager throwing away applications that not satisfy the requirements.)