NeilJones313

New way to send a cover letter

i like the idea ... you will definitly stand out with this ( until everbody does it ^^ )

and i disagree that its misplaced effort any application for any job is all about "presenting yourself in the best possible light" you are essentialy doing marketing for "yourself" so showing that you have unique out of the box ideas about presentation/marketing is not gonna be looked down apon at all. also 3d assets are a big part of a game projects "presentation" so it reflects well there too.

so yeah good luck !

A employer is never going to hire a less skilled worker because of his/her coverletter, even though it runs at 28 fps and has stereo audio. Any time not spent on the actual content of the portfolio is pretty much wasted. IMHO~

your work should stand for itself, if it doesnt no amount of distractions will change this.

What could anyone possibly say in a cover letter that will set them apart?

"Hi, I am bob, I love making games and people who make them, I need a job to pay my rent. I found out that you guys need somebody to do what I can do, so please hire me because I love all the games you guys make."

However, somebody out there will think this is original and will possibly give you an interview because of it, but, do these people really know what to look for in hiring or are they just frustrated at the lack of creativity in their job?

Edited by 2d-chris

This is a really cool idea and I heartily endorse any effort to go above and beyond the norm when it comes to applying for creative positions. However these should be seen as nice touches, not anything that'll make the difference between you getting the job or not.

For example as a designer I put a lot of work into the aesthetic presentation of my resume and portfolio, but that was more to show I put care into what I make rather than me thinking "This will totally get me the job the moment they see how sweet this looks". As long as you keep that in mind stuff like this is great. Just don't spend too much time on it as you'll run into diminishing returns.

Another thing to remember is it's often recruiters rather than actual employers who are first hit with covering letters, resumes, and portfolios; and they aren't particularly interested in stuff like this. They're essentially just seeking out buzz words that they think will make you an applicant worth passing onto the employer. Therefore it's essential you do the basics really well and don't expect a fancy video and portfolio to excuse a shitty-looking resume thrown together in 10 minutes in Word.

You could introduce the video in the first paragraph of your cover letter and/or home page of your portfolio as a 'more digestible version of the following'. But accept that some employers just won't watch it, just like some will take a fleeting glance at your portfolio's first page or two before deciding you're fit for an interview. Dudes are busy.

Then comes the real meat and potatoes: impressing them with your personality. The most epic portfolio and associated materials in the world won't help you if you can't convince them that you're a pleasure to work with within 10 minutes. :D Fortunately artists often have fantastic personalities, but I've seen many developers over the years experience incredible frustration because despite having the skills they just can't seem to get a great job. Reason: they're awkward as fuck.

A employer is never going to hire a less skilled worker because of his/her coverletter, even though it runs at 28 fps and has stereo audio. Any time not spent on the actual content of the portfolio is pretty much wasted. IMHO~

You will find that getting someone to even look at your portfolio/cv is the first hurdle. Especially when someone is blasting through 100 of them, anything that makes you stand out is good. It goes without saying that the portfolio work has to be good, but spending time on your cover letter is not a bad idea.

If you aren't spending atleast 2 days writing/reviewing it, you are doing it wrong. Spamming out cover letters is a sure fire way of getting completely ignored when it comes to applications.

Well it may just be me but I dont like doing things like everyone else. Even in my Demo Reel many people just use a song or sound effects, and have a model or 2 spinning with a wire frame and that's cool and all but everyone dose it. So found this cool audio clip that means a lot to me and had my models move in a different way.

I didn't really focus on ploycount and wire frames because I feel like people just want something good to look at first and if they like it then they will look for more rather then the other way around. also some people who hire might not even know what the poly count and wire frames even mean.

It's a nice idea and it'll make you stand out. My worry would be though that there are too many unknowns to doing something like this.

Will the HR or person you've sent this to have headphones? Or are certain sites blocked by their firewall? Something to consider.

I disagree. This shows initiative and the ability to think outside of the box, which any employer should look for (and hold in higher regard than the ability to create wonderful barrels and airplanes in a 3d tool as these things can be learned fairly quickly compared to thinking outside the box which is really fucking hard).

It shows that you are willing to go the extra step, but it doesn't show off your abilities. Well, some of your models can be seen in the video, but you are not applying for a position as a video designer. Remember that guy who coded an adventure game ABOUT a job interview for an internship at Doublefine? THAT was cool. Don't get me wrong, I think you're doing far more than the average applicant and I'd feel humbled if I worked at Telltale. But the others have a fair point about the demonstration of your skills, which is - by far - the most important.

but isn't that what the portfolio is for? I thought the cover letter was kind of more like something brief to make them motivated to look at your work.