NeilJones313

New way to send a cover letter

I think this is a great, great idea. First of all you come across as very sincere and genuine and the organization of the video is effective, it's concise and you hit all the right notes. One thing I would suggest is that your work doesn't appear connected to a great game.

I would suggest perhaps making a TF2 asset or something where you could communicate the transformation of your piece of art into the game world. That would be an effective addition to what you have here, IMO. Other than that, I like the idea and I like the initiative.

I completely agree with you I really wanted to get some cool transformation going and have some more assets based on there games but I realized my limits in aftereffects today. And I wanted to keep it more about the words then the art. But I tried to put a link to my demo reel at the end.

I really like this idea too, and I think it's WAY better than making the recruiter read just another cover letter (it must be really boring if we consider the amount of applications they receive). I think the video length is appropriate too, but I don't have any "authority" on this subject as I never officially hired anyone. 1 min is ok.

One small thing I'd suggest is add a thumbnail/ small screenshot of your portfolio in the end of the video, as it may help to invite the recruiter to access your folio. Also, make that logo a hyperlink (using that youtube feature), so it's even easier to access your site. :)

I'd like to do something similar to apply somewhere, gj! :P

Hmmm. I'm kinda torn, to be honest. I like the idea and it's quite cool that it shows a bit of your personality but I don't know if it comes off as a bit cheesy? Might just be the choice of music and some of the wording.

But then again I'm a grumpy bastard sometimes so I might be completely wrong.

Honest opinion: It screams misplaced effort. Why would you spend your time on this when you could be making better props/game shit?

That's called marketing :D

Yeah but the problem here is I am saying it about your video cover letter. I mean take it as you will it was just my thoughts on the subject.

I think his point is that you could say the same about a cover letter.