Doom (4)

Sprony

On 11/08/2017 at 10:36 PM, Minos said:

this.

The pacing in the game is pretty much perfect... I played it on hard and it was a really good challenge!

Shit now I wanna play again too :P

Can't agree about the pacing tbh.

The combat pacing is great but the actual level pacing is very weak at times, as FMPONE says the foundry is a great example of this. The save points are all over the place and once you have cleared the area you just spend time running around this empty area. Too much exploring empty areas for bonus stuff which halts the pacing. You can go from 100 to 0 in 20 seconds and stay there for 10 minutes before its back to 100 again.

3 hours ago, Vilham said:

Can't agree about the pacing tbh.

The combat pacing is great but the actual level pacing is very weak at times, as FMPONE says the foundry is a great example of this. The save points are all over the place and once you have cleared the area you just spend time running around this empty area. Too much exploring empty areas for bonus stuff which halts the pacing. You can go from 100 to 0 in 20 seconds and stay there for 10 minutes before its back to 100 again.

Yeap, to the point where I think it might actually be done on purpose. Juxtaposition in pacing is a thing if done well, when something goes from high octane to chill it's a good feeling. (Think village in Uncharted 2 after the train level) but it's really hard to pull off, specially if you do it repeatedly like Doom 4 does.

I actually wrote a short article about the Argent tower level, because it was really excellent, not sure if I'll post it. Want to play through the rest of the game to see how it informs the thinking in it. Question: did they have different level designers take ownership of different levels? Feels that way.

Haven't gotten any further in the game than that, so I'm not sure, but I suspect Argent will be the best level in the game. If it continues to get better that will be awesome.

12 hours ago, [HP] said:

Yeap, to the point where I think it might actually be done on purpose. Juxtaposition in pacing is a thing if done well, when something goes from high octane to chill it's a good feeling. (Think village in Uncharted 2 after the train level) but it's really hard to pull off, specially if you do it repeatedly like Doom 4 does.

In dooms case I dont think that is the intention, good pacing should never drop completely off a cliff every 10 minutes. It only drops off to allow for the exploration for upgrades. If you ignore the upgrades im sure the pacing is great. But the upgrades are a core part of the game.

Don't get me wrong I love the game, but i wish they had replicated the pacing of Wolfenstein a little more.

9 minutes ago, Sprony said:

I'm just really happy that we are still talking about the game :)

Biggest disappointment was SnapMap and the lack of modding support. I know it's a difficult thing due to the sheer size of the game files, but I guarantee that a good number of people would have put up with that. I can't help but dislike this aproach that almost all companies are taking to disregard modding.

Spoiler

Where is l4d3?

20 hours ago, FMPONE said:

I actually wrote a short article about the Argent tower level, because it was really excellent, not sure if I'll post it. Want to play through the rest of the game to see how it informs the thinking in it. Question: did they have different level designers take ownership of different levels? Feels that way.

Haven't gotten any further in the game than that, so I'm not sure, but I suspect Argent will be the best level in the game. If it continues to get better that will be awesome.

I would love to see that article about the Argent Tower level. If you don't want to post it here, you can also send me a pm :)
As for your question. Not every level had a dedicated level designer with ownership from start to finish. Often designers/artists would jump around from one level to another to work on it. For the Argent Tower interior, Jon Lane our lead concept artist had a big impact on the layout since he blocked out almost the whole section in Maya. Designers and artist would then use this as a reference.

1 hour ago, BJA said:

I would love to see that article about the Argent Tower level. If you don't want to post it here, you can also send me a pm :)
As for your question. Not every level had a dedicated level designer with ownership from start to finish. Often designers/artists would jump around from one level to another to work on it. For the Argent Tower interior, Jon Lane our lead concept artist had a big impact on the layout since he blocked out almost the whole section in Maya. Designers and artist would then use this as a reference.

That's interesting. I guess I really gravitate towards levels that actively involve the level in the process rather than using it as a cheap backdrop, kudos to Lane and the designers for pulling that off. I'll finish the game and then take some photos before publishing the article.

Oooh, I found a somewhat game-breaking bug on this level:

89D1Lfq.jpg

I did a finishing move on a monster that was standing on top of a crate and afterwards I spawned inside the crate with no escape! It was quite amusing really, but only because it was very near the beginning of the battle. I'd have been annoyed if it happened a few minutes later.

Anyway, just thought I'd post about it here incase @BJA wants to flag it up with someone. I imagine a simple fix would be to replace the hollow crate assets with solid ones, would save a few precious poly's too.

I really wonder if they are working on a Doom sequel. There's a team working on Quake Champions, MachineGames has taken over Wolfenstein and Doom already received a reboot. I want more Doom, but admittedly, I wouldn't mind a reboot of Rage either. The game had a lot of potential and I would love to see that done justice.

I wouldn't mind a Quake 2/4 reboot either, start fresh, call it Stroggos and kick ass :)

7 hours ago, text_fish said:

Oooh, I found a somewhat game-breaking bug on this level:

89D1Lfq.jpg

I did a finishing move on a monster that was standing on top of a crate and afterwards I spawned inside the crate with no escape! It was quite amusing really, but only because it was very near the beginning of the battle. I'd have been annoyed if it happened a few minutes later.

Anyway, just thought I'd post about it here incase @BJA wants to flag it up with someone. I imagine a simple fix would be to replace the hollow crate assets with solid ones, would save a few precious poly's too.

Thanks for pointing out that bug but I'm not sure if it'll be fixed. 

6 hours ago, Sprony said:

I really wonder if they are working on a Doom sequel. There's a team working on Quake Champions, MachineGames has taken over Wolfenstein and Doom already received a reboot. I want more Doom, but admittedly, I wouldn't mind a reboot of Rage either. The game had a lot of potential and I would love to see that done justice.

I wouldn't mind a Quake 2/4 reboot either, start fresh, call it Stroggos and kick ass :)

So many reboots you want :D