Doom (4)

Sprony

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks like we might be seeing the end of map packs and split online communities. Bethesda doing this and EA getting rid of map DLC in Battlefront and I assume future Battlefields I think are great things. It was always annoying to me that as soon as a new map pack came out for Battlefield the number of players would seemingly half as a lot of people didn't have premium. 

Just keep paid DLC to cosmetics and single player stuff and keep the online community strong by not splitting it up between those who pay and those who don't. 

21 hours ago, BJA said:

I read about this some days ago, then forgot it. My SSD reminded me of it today, when it was showing red for space running out and I noticed Steam had paused Doom's update because it couldn't fit it. :v

I don't understand if is free only for this weekend or forever.

Mine is updating, but I don't think I care, I think was only MP content? I would have paid for SP.

Would have loved to work with SnapMap but the system is really too restricting. I've played couple maps by very skilled authors (from whom I've seen impressive HL2 maps) and they just looked like same areas from the game with different spawns.

What would be really cool would be a system like Portal's simplified editor: I would love to build rooms and layouts the way I want, and dropping props all over. Rooms could have "themes" and be pre-textured. At least I would need streatchable "snaps" (whatever the parts are called) because when I tried to build a map I just couldn't close a loop because of a small gap (horizontal and vertical) between corridors ?

Edited by blackdog

22 hours ago, blackdog said:

I don't understand if is free only for this weekend or forever.

Mine is updating, but I don't think I care, I think was only MP content? I would have paid for SP.

Would have loved to work with SnapMap but the system is really too restricting. I've played couple maps by very skilled authors (from whom I've seen impressive HL2 maps) and they just looked like same areas from the game with different spawns.

What would be really cool would be a system like Portal's simplified editor: I would love to build rooms and layouts the way I want, and dropping props all over. Rooms could have "themes" and be pre-textured. At least I would need streatchable "snaps" (whatever the parts are called) because when I tried to build a map I just couldn't close a loop because of a small gap (horizontal and vertical) between corridors ?

The content is free forever, that's how I understood it (as they mentioned the content being free and the free weekend separately). I would've paid for SP-content too or for the possibility to co-op the story. The whole multiplayer is very average to me at least. It's pretty, but I need some tight gameplay too that gets me going.

I agree the SnapMap is very restricting and at times, in a very weird ways. I first thought that SnapMap would be about just having tons of tilesets, not maybe in the smallest scale, and other content to create very unique maps for both SP and MP. However, it is just pre-made big prefabs that don't always fit together well even if they snap and they're not that modular. When I got the game and finished it, I played around in SnapMap for some tens of hours, but got nothing finished really, as it didn't satisfy the needs I had to create content.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to playing this.

Wish headshots did something or were more rewarding, it's a fucking headshot with a shotgun, it should make the demons' heads explode. The Foundry level despite being gorgeous and showing off the engine well has the stupidest lava traps, that you can't get out of once you fall in because the clipping is too low. Classic level example of wow this looks amazing and doesn't actually play that well. It took a little too long for the game to introduce some enemy variation. Limiting the chainsaw was a dumb decision, it's not that fun to use as a result. I'm over relying on melee because fighting the enemies is pretty boring and skill less.

When the game decides to do something cool "lets have the hand slide down off the scanner once you've ripped it off", it succeeds. But those moments feel spread out and kind of weirdly paced.

Overall it's cool, I'm mostly enjoying it. Interested to see where the minimalist but effective story goes, that's what's keeping me engaged right now