PogoP

Bioshock Infinite - Spoilers thread

So not to complain, but what happened to this level from the E3 demo? I recognize bits from it, but was disappointed it didn't make it into the final game, because it looked like the most amazing level ever made in videogame history and sold me on the game instantly.

Never saw that video (or anything else for that matter) before playing this game. Sad to see some parts cut/reworked but that's just how things go. It's the first time I get a glimpse at a different studio's iteration process actually, quite interesting :)

Some parts seem to give off a better atmosphere though in that video, although it appears to be scripted as fuck and not really "actually playable" (or was it??). Personally I would've wanted more of that rather than guns blazing.

Edited by Chimeray

Only just watched that video myself, definitely seems more theme park-like with all those skylines, pretty cool though, but maybe a bit over-used in the E3 version and that's why they got scaled back?

Yeah, was watching that video and the very first announcement one as well the other day, a real shame that they cut that level. The bit around 10:50 is especially awesome. Even if the final game has a lot of areas that feel like MP arenas, then nothing compares with what's shown in that video. Wouldn't surprise me that there's technical reasons behind it not making it, consoles not being able to handle it n such.

Anyway, I was kinda waiting for that level while playing the game, so it was a tad disappointing that it didn't make it.

Yeah, was watching that video and the very first announcement one as well the other day, a real shame that they cut that level. The bit around 10:50 is especially awesome. Even if the final game has a lot of areas that feel like MP arenas, then nothing compares with what's shown in that video. Wouldn't surprise me that there's technical reasons behind it not making it, consoles not being able to handle it n such.

Anyway, I was kinda waiting for that level while playing the game, so it was a tad disappointing that it didn't make it.

Yeah I was trying to picture an xbox 360 handling that area and there is just no way.

So what do you guys think Irrational will do next? I'd be interested in seeing a return to the System Shock universe, or at least going back into space. But then, sci-fi has been done so many times before, and it probably wouldn't have the 'wow' factor that Bioshock 1/Infinite had in their locales.

http://kotaku.com/th...ombat-468530143

More or less agree with it. Of course there's some pros and cons with every design though, and to be fair... there's plenty things that Bioshock Infinite does right as well! :).

I ran into slightly similar issues: there were quite a few combat spaces where it seemed like the safest option was to hang back at the entrance. I didn't want to risk getting flanked, didn't know the space, and most enemies short of the Handyman couldn't really flush you out of cover. No grenades or any other motivators to leave my hangout, although I guess the Volley Gun sort of worked that way. For example, entering the bank vault for the first time, I barely used any of the combat space. On the way back, I felt more confident running around the space.

Lots of encounters also started with the player on the low ground, like on the steps up to the Hall of Heroes, which makes it hard to get a lay of the land before the first shots are fired. Actually, the player started on the low ground an awful lot. The exception I can think of is the approach to the police station in Finkton, which was one of my favorite battles. You start high, have widely different paths to approach the target. And using the skylines was essential.

"I've never been a huge fan of the combat in BioShock games. It's always felt "shouty," for lack of a better word—fighting splicers in Rapture felt more or less like getting into a screaming match with a half-dozen guests at a dinner party where there's poor acoustics and everyone's already talking above their normal speaking volume."

Wtf does that even mean?