Sign in to follow this  
Thrik

Broken Age (formerly Double Fine Adventure)

Official name and site have been revealed for the Double Fine adventure game that you may have heard got funded last year on Kickstarter. Even though I backed it I've intentionally stayed away from the development information available to backers, so I literally know nothing about it.

There's very little on the site right now, just some hints really. Loving the look of the art style, and the story sounds a lot more intriguing than I expected. Based on the blurb alone this is the kind of story I want to experience. The fact that the collective power of Double Fine is behind it seals the deal. :-D

Broken Age

Broken Age is a point-and-click adventure telling the stories of a young boy and girl leading parallel lives. The girl has been chosen by her village to be sacrificed to a terrible monster--but she decides to fight back. Meanwhile, a boy on a spaceship is living a solitary life under the care of a motherly computer, but he wants to break free to lead adventures and do good in the world. Adventures ensue.

keyart.jpg

:hurry:

Been watching all the behind the scenes episodes so far, even though it spoils a lot of the game then it's still really cool to see how a company like Double Fine works. Not that it's very different from most other game studios, but the circumstances under which the game is being made is definitely makes for some interesting videos, and seeing how they're adjusting the scope of the game to make it is quite cool.

But yeah, gonna be interesting to see how this turns out :)

Knowing nothing about this at all as of yet and the fact that it is described as "point and click" I assume this will at least be on mobile/tablet? And yeah, other platforms I suppose...

A really good point and click adventure game on tablet? I'm in. Just make sure it's not F2P. Charge a fair price for it upfront, pls.

Looks like an interesting concept! This isn't where I expected them to go with this project.. I thought they'd be making a more traditional 'comedy' point and click like Monkey Island, but this should be really interesting regardless!

Well, the beta is out for backers today! And the final release in a couple of weeks, of the first half at least.

There's only so exciting an adventure game trailer can be, but my god the visuals. If only more games could look so rich. Also I'm assured by a friend playing it right now that the dialogue and humour is excellent to Monkey Island and Grim Fandango proportions, which weirdly isn't hinted at in the trailers.

Digging it so far, just played through Shay's (the boy) part in one go. It's not very challenging, never really got stuck, but like most Double Fine game then it just oozes of personality, and it looks and sounds great~~gonna save the other half for later tho.

Just finished Act 1. Based on what they set out to do, then I'd say they passed with flying colours.

There was never really any point where I got stuck as such, but I think thats great. Honestly the times that the old school adventure games often lost me was when you had to trial and error your way through most puzzles because the solutions made little to no sense. Here it feels much more modern, there mostly seems to be a least a hint of some logic at work, or at least there's enough audio cues that you basically never get proper stuck.

Also just looks and sounds great. Wouldn't have minded if the background art was a bit higher resolution, especially since I played it on my Retina MBP, where the characters looked significantly sharper than the backgrounds, but that's a very minor complaint, and you could argue that that's part of the art style. The soundtrack and voice acting is also just top notch, like the good old LucasArts games it just oozes of personality.

Really hope this plan with releasing Act 1 to help funding Act 2 works, because man I can't wait for it~~~

That sounds awesome! I was a little worried that they might never be able to get back to the old adventure style of game since they've been going a little more action/platformer lately.