knj

Your Favorite game intro

I was thinking about intros lately, and there are loads of great cinematics and CGI shit out there, but at some point i still want to be in control of my character all the time, even while story telling on introducing me to environemnt, story ect.

Thats why in terms of idea Valve and Half Life one is the best intro out there (execution is the Black Messa - love it !)

All the time i'm in control of my avatar, i'm introduced to the Black Messa facility, times it takes place, i know who is my avatar and i can learn the environment by my self. This is great, far more gameish than superCGIshit - i would love for games to walk away as far as they can from cutscenes/cgi movies ect, and let me be in control of my character all the time. This is the same for story telling IMO.

Still this is my opinion, what are your's best intros ever !?

My favorite intro isn't very special for any technical things since it's very much like in half-life but I like how everything just clicks after you had finished the game. Plus the journey to Rapture is cool as hell.

Edited by WhiteDevil

half life intro was good? ...maybe from the part where you enter the anomalous lab. certainly the train ride, while interesting to look at, was too long.

i think i agree on the bioshock one, it was basically the perfected half life 1 trailer.

i also think far cry 3's intro was worthwhile, the way the character are believable through their actions is amazing.

more so when i notice small things like when vaas says "i'm the one with the fucking dick", which is related to spanish speaking latin american cultures. they really had their shit together on this thing.

Edited by Sentura

Half-Life's train ride was iconic IMO. It so beautifully communicated everything Black Mesa was all about and how full of life it was, while also emphasising just how deep inside you were going. On top of that it drew you into a false sense of security and made the carnage that ensued later and ripped the place apart much more effecting.

By modern standards it's nothing special, but I distinctly remember sitting there back in 1998 and thinking "this is fucking cool", and I don't think I was alone. I hadn't ever encountered anything truly like that before, in most if not all games you were pretty much thrown into the action immediately.

half life intro was good? ...maybe from the part where you enter the anomalous lab. certainly the train ride, while interesting to look at, was too long.

i think i agree on the bioshock one, it was basically the perfected half life 1 trailer.

i also think far cry 3's intro was worthwhile, the way the character are believable through their actions is amazing.

more so when i notice small things like when vaas says "i'm the one with the fucking dick", which is related to spanish speaking latin american cultures. they really had their shit together on this thing.

I also enjoyed the intro of far cry 3 quite a damn bit. Just the way Vaas is talking/screaming to the player and his little actions he does was really well done in my opinion. I do enjoy the song they played as well so im sure that had something to do with it.

A personal one, absolutely loved the music and UI design of Metroid Prime. And seeing Samus for the first time in glorious 3d i almost shat myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Ao63nmzuE

another vote for Bio-Shock. it took everything that made Half-Life 1's intro so great and condensed it, and sold you the theme of the game. Such a classic...

Edited by FMPONE