PAYDAY 2

Puddy

• 3 weeks later...

I was super stoked for the Deathwish update. But then I read about some of the gameplay changes made, and.....I'm gonna play something else. Nerfing people's ability to play the game a particular way that's not cheating that they enjoy is not OK in my book.

Hey! What are you referring to specifically?

* You can only bag 2 bodies now. Considering there are no levels with less than 4 guards, it makes picking them off one by one pointless since you can only move two bodies.

* Guards can respawn (this is a no-no in any shooter). Prevents you from ever stealthing solo because being patient and waiting for the right time to strike is the entire point of stealthing solo. By the time your window of opportunity arises the guards can come back, and now you're screwed.

* Joker is not usable in stealth mode. Means you can handle 5 guards max instead of 6. I personally don't use Joker but if I did this would be irritating.

* Guards shoot on sight. Makes it difficult if not impossible to dominate them if they pull the trigger right away.

* You now have to wait for the van when blowing up the meth lab in rats. I can understand the desire to nerf rats speedruns because it felt like an exploit, but given the ridiculous amount of XP it takes to level up after 80, even with speedruns it's still a grindfest to get to 100, so in the grand scheme of things it didn't really make anything unbalanced. Maybe the boost system will make up for it and I'm judging prematurely, but that still hurts.

That's just some of the things. You can read the stuff people have tracked down here:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/218620/discussions/0/558749190693702109/

Basically I like to play solo, and when I solo I always stealth. The cleaner change and respawning guards has basically made it impossible to solo stealth any mission. I already thought it was bullshit that Firestarter day 2 had something like a dozen guards that respawned, but now that respawning has apparently permeated all maps and difficulties stealth is proper-fucked, even in groups.

And before this update I could have listed a whole mess of bugs in the game that could easily ruin a heist, but they were just bugs, and thus easily fixable. But these were deliberate changes that pretty much force you to go loud and always have to play in a group, even if you don't have one to play with. It's infuriating.

The stuff added for Deathwish difficulty, the subtle changes to maps (an extra fence, destructible enviros, indestructible cameras) are cool for that difficulty, but putting those changes into all difficulties, plus nerfing one of two play styles just took a ptoentially sweet update and soured it.

Anyways, my 2 cents. Feel free to take it with a grain of salt. /rant

Edited by ChopperDave

If that is indeed the case then the changes become slightly more tolerable. But solo stealthing any difficulty should be feasible, ven Deathwish. Especially Deathwish since going loud seems like a great way to get your ass handed to you.

But respawning guards is bullshit no matter the difficulty. And according to that community changelong at the very least the guards shooting on sight occurs on all difficulties. I don't normally complain about patches but I love this game and hate seeing detrimental changes go into it. Do you know when the exact changelog will be available?

All of the above being said I went ahead and picked up all the DLC since I intend to support the game anyway. I can't wait to see what new heists you guys are cooking up. Crossing my fingers for new heist DLC soon.

The respawning guards don't "respawn" per se. If enough guards are neutralized on the level, a patrol enters the level and comes to investigate and see why things have gone dark. This works well in co-op as you can have a lookout player etc and promotes stealth play where you avoid guards. I think an exact changelog will hit very soon.

This works well in co-op as you can have a lookout player etc and promotes stealth play where you avoid guards

Which is all fine for co-op but not solo. And if people want to stealth by picking guys off one-by-one until all are gone that should still remain a viable option, it's just a lot slower than avoding guards.

Anyway, I'll see what the CL says exactly when it comes out. Thanks for the response!

Edited by ChopperDave