Rick_D

Tropes vs Women in Video Games

Of course people in video games aren't real, but their portrayal does have real world consequences

Bullshit

Did you watch and pay attention to the whole video? Because the argument you're making is one she covered directly near the end. Your media consumption does, in fact, affect you, and the more you think that it is actually mere entertainment with no consequences, the more vulnerable you are to being affected. That's not a videogame specific thing, that's an all media thing, from advertisements to action movies to word gender associations. I remember seeing a study about how Germans and Spanish people described bridges. In German, bridges are feminine. Not by nature, necessarily, but simply by language. In Spanish, on the other hand, bridge is a masculine noun. When asked to describe the same picture of a bridge, Germans described it with feminine terms like "graceful," and Spaniards with masculine ones like "strong." "Key" is the opposite, masculine in German and feminine in Spanish. When asked to describe the same picture of a key, the Germans described it as "sharp" and "useful," while the Spanish described it as "shiny," and "lovely."

I'm sorry to break this to you, steppenwolf. Your purchasing decisions are probably also influenced by ads, even the dumb stupid ones you consciously dislike. 

Edited by Jetsetlemming

Thank you Jetsetlemming and Marcem for some more educated posting. Seriously considered leaving the forum, found myself too baffled to even respond. :???:

That's the thing, is there something like a cultural determinism acting on the individual and his desires, or on the contrary, do every individual act on the basis of his own free will in an existentialist point of view ?

No more than 5000 words guys

Ah, feminism....

Really what it all boils down to is the feminist position that women are inferior and men are superior. Which is ironic since it's the exact opposite of what they claim to believe. This gaming stuff is a minor example but you have situations like:

• "If I'm drunk and a man's drunk, he needs to be of stronger constitution, better judgement and stronger resolve than me, or he's a rapist".
  • "If a man and I both consent to sex and I get pregnant, he's more capable than I am so he needs to pay for whatever choices I make regarding the fetus/baby".
  • "I want to live in a world where I can wear whatever I want and go wherever I want and nothing bad will ever happen to me".

Because rather than being careful where they go and who they associate with, taking measures to assure their ability to defend themselves, acknowledging that criminals do crime, they instead choose to throw a tantrum and just demand men create the world they want to live in since they admit they can't do it themselves. Same goes with this.

Seriously?! What the hell is going on in here!

"Really what it all boils down to is the feminist position that women are inferior and men are superior. Which is ironic since it's the exact opposite of what they claim to believe."

Where do you get this crap from? Please elaborate on how women being inferior is "the feminist position".

I'd say the feminist position is that in the modern world (where we can to a large extent disregard physical strength which was mentioned), neither sex is inferior or superior, and the only thing standing in the way to actual equality (equal pay etc.) are basic attitude issues, stemming from, among other things, tropes in media.

Thank you Jetsetlemming and Marcem for some more educated posting. Seriously considered leaving the forum, found myself too baffled to even respond. :???:

Videogames, like the other tech industries/products, attracts/is full of a lot of fairly sheltered white boys. I don't necessarily blame them for their views, as much as I just find it sad. They're like the dirt poor people on government aid in the South who constantly vote Republican: They grew up in and are every day surrounded by a culture that tells them that the things they're fighting are pure evil, and will take away what little they have if they lose that fight. 

Feminism isn't anti-man, and it sure as hell isn't "women are inferior" (lmao dude what), any more than "anti-racist is code for anti-white." Nerdy boys would thrive in a feminist world, as they would be free of the stifling, strangling implicit demand of masculine gender roles put upon them. Sadly, they're convinced that in a feminist world their already poor chances of getting laid would drop to nil.

Thankfully I'm in a long term relationship with a woman and can thus betray my gender without fear. :D

Edited by Jetsetlemming

Thankfully I'm in a long term relationship with a woman and can thus betray my gender without fear. :D

We will be there if you need any beers, a good LAN on quake3, smoke some joints and shout at sports on tv ..............

"Really what it all boils down to is the feminist position that women are inferior and men are superior. Which is ironic since it's the exact opposite of what they claim to believe."

Where do you get this crap from? Please elaborate on how women being inferior is "the feminist position".

I did, with examples as well, but you decided to take something out of context without reading further. Same as Jetsetlemming. Thus, I see no reason to continue this with you.

I did, with examples as well, but you decided to take something out of context without reading further. Same as Jetsetlemming. Thus, I see no reason to continue this with you.

Those are not examples of feminism, they are random critical sentences written by you, a non feminist. And are you seriously saying we should NOT strive for a world where anyone could go anywhere, dressed anyhow, and feel safe?

Edited by Daze

And are you seriously saying we should NOT strive for a world where anyone could go anywhere, dressed anyhow, and feel safe?

Dude sure ... But huh... good luck to feminism.

I wouldn't try to convince the 6 drunken guys who would break my teeth on the pavement to steal the 20 euros i have because they noticed i was walking wearing a smoking vest, a pair of underwear and a cowboy hat while playing tamtam at 3am in an insecure suburb.

(i don't do that very often)

What I hate about Anita is the fact that everytime her name is brought up it instantly turns into flame war.  Sure she raises some valid points but there are much more important causes people could be acting on or spending their time on. Humanity has been like for millenniums, videogames are just a reflection of society not the cause of the problem.

This reminds me of Fox News anchors blaming videogames for school shootings and shit like that, when even though the real causes for those events are much deeper they never get any air time. Organizations like Fox News and people like Anita are in the business of attention, they distract people from real problems and pitch them against each other to benefit from it. As a rule of thumb, if you choose a cause to follow which feeds on the "us vs them" paradigm you should probably get out of it immediately as it's likely to be bullshit.

Tbh if some women feel they are under appreciated in games they should either:

- Start their own studios and make games the way they think games should be.

- Boycott games they disapprove.

What have 15 pages of discussion on this thread or even millions of views on her youtube videos accomplished so far? I dunno, but sites like kotaku, jezebel and polygon are definitely making some money out of this.

What I hate about Anita is the fact that everytime her name is brought up it instantly turns into flame war.  Sure she raises some valid points but there are much more important causes people could be acting on or spending their time on. Humanity has been like for millenniums, videogames are just a reflection of society not the cause of the problem.

This reminds me of Fox News anchors blaming videogames for school shootings and shit like that, when even though the real causes for those events are much deeper they never get any air time. Organizations like Fox News and people like Anita are in the business of attention, they distract people from real problems and pitch them against each other to benefit from it. As a rule of thumb, if you choose a cause to follow which feeds on the "us vs them" paradigm, you should probably get out of it immediately as it's likely to be bullshit.

What have 15 pages of discussion on this thread or even millions of views on your youtube video accomplished so far? I dunno, but sites like kotaku, jezebel and polygon are definitely making some money out of this.

Finally someone talking some sense on this silly fucking thread.

What's the point, really? What is there to gain? Change? Sure, OK go ahead and be the change you wan't to see in the world, because bitching and moaning wont get it fixed, it will only lead to dispair and focusing on shit like this is so pointless to me.

We're an inperfect race, with two inperfect genders. People want to work towards achieving perfection, start by looking in the fucking mirror and work towards a greater good. All I see here is a bunch of people pointing fingers and in the end, you got nothing to show for it.

If that Sarkesian chick wants games that catter to her and her cult, she should have kickstarted for a gamedev studio to make a change, instead she decided to be in the business of attention seeking, where she's playing you all like a fiddle.

This reminds me of Fox News anchors blaming videogames for school shootings and shit like that, when even though the real causes for those events are much deeper they never get any air time. Organizations like Fox News and people like Anita are in the business of attention, they distract people from real problems and pitch them against each other to benefit from it. As a rule of thumb, if you choose a cause to follow which feeds on the "us vs them" paradigm, you should probably get out of it immediately as it's likely to be bullshit.

What have 15 pages of discussion on this thread or even millions of views on your youtube video accomplished so far? I dunno, but sites like kotaku, jezebel and polygon are definitely making some money out of this.

What's the point, really? What is there to gain? Change? Sure, OK go ahead and be the change you wan't to see in the world, because bitching and moaning wont get it fixed, it will only lead to dispair and focusing on shit like this is so pointless to me.

We're an inperfect race, with two inperfect genders. People want to work towards achieving perfection, start by looking in the fucking mirror and work towards a greater good. All I see here is a bunch of people pointing fingers and in the end, you got nothing to show for it.

If that Sarkesian chick wants games that catter to her and her cult, she should have kickstarted for a gamedev studio to make a change, instead she decided to be in the business of attention seeking, where she's playing you all like a fiddle.

How is that any different from what I'm saying? (not directed at you Helder). That's my whole point. Be the change instead of bitching that people should change it for you :)

What's the point, really? What is there to gain? Change?

Awareness. The videos are about education, not advocacy.