Rick_D

Tropes vs Women in Video Games

I mean while youre playing games... Wasnt that obvious?

Who seriously plays a game thats supposed to make fun and is like "Oh, how sexist of them".

In some cases it gets annoying and redicoules what they are doing to get attention. (I saw a mobile game that had a half naked girl

on the cover even though the girl has nothing to do with the game at all.)

Its kinda sad that some people think its necessary to do this, though its not changing the way I think about things.

Its not like every game does or tries to let you think like that.

There are even some games that overdo it on purpose and you cant take them serious anyways.

But Ive never seen anything like that before. And I dont really care about mobilegames .

I had a little chat about it where we talked about other games (MassEffect for example, where the boob size got increased in every game.)

But its not hurting anyone and honestly, If no one had made a picture of it, I wouldnt even have noticed it.

I already maneuvered myself into the offside as it seems.

Thing is i really CAN'T STAND IT that when one of the homosexuals checks out pictures of random muscular and sexy male bodies that he thinks of MY penis

As a gay man, I've never done this, because if I look at a dude the "wrong way" (or if they even think I am) then that dude or maybe even COMPLETE STRANGERS might beat me up or kill me for being gay. In fact, whenever I'm walking around on the street, I look over my shoulder every now and then because I'm afraid someone is going to hurt me for being gay.

As straight men, do you ever do this? Do you ever occasionally live in mortal fear because you're a straight dude?

Did you know that the women in your life have probably felt similar fears at some point? Men staring at them nonstop. Men flashing their genitals at them. Men getting angry if women don't even acknowledge them. Men thinking they "deserve" a woman's attention. Men groping them on public transit... and women never saying anything because men will think they are "overreacting."

Do you even have women in your life who you can ask about this? If you don't, it might be because you're one of those men, because you have the gall to think "me being afraid to walk outside" is a liberal gay agenda feminist tumblr conspiracy? Yeah brilliant conspiracy wow!!!!

So you might have to forgive someone when they're upset that Red Dead Redemption specifically gives you a special achievement / encouragement for getting a woman NPC run-over by a train, and sometimes the woman doesn't protest at all and she's turned-on by the fact that you're murdering her?

The worry is NOT that you're going to start murdering women; the worry is that you'll be 1% more likely to treat women as punchlines, the worry is that you'll bring it up at after-work happy hour and you'll all laugh about killing women and the sole woman on the level design team will start coming up with excuses not to go to another happy hour. The worry is that you'll be 0.2% more likely to be an unprofessional asshole.

Also: if you are a game developer and you've dedicated your life to making games because you love them so much, yet you say games don't affect anyone at all, then you are lacking basic self-awareness. Look in the mirror.

As devs, we can do anything in video games... space magic, lava dragons... how about also a fantasy world where men *don't* get a special achievement for killing virtual women? Let's try that. It'll be a fun creative exercise.

Wow you have completely missed my point. And here i thought i couldn't have marked it more clearly as sarcasm (except for putting actual sarcasm tags on it).

My point is that shaming people for their sexuality is a bad thing. Imagine for a moment Anita's video was about gays and the things that they find erotic. It would be a scandal in this day and age and rightly so! Remember the "they eat da poo poo"-video?

But apparently it's A-OK to shame heterosexual males for having sexual desires and preferences BECAUSE RAPE CULTURE.The undertone of all these videos is "How dare you pig disgusting men to get turned on by that filth!". And she comes of as so misguided because she identifies herself with sexualized female depictions. It's so ridiculous. Of course a gay men who checks out some random pics of muscular male bodies does NOT think of me. That would be so absurd. But it is how Anita's thinking process works going by her videos.

No, you missed my point: the "imagine if it were the other way around" doesn't work, because people like me and women actually suffer for this in really real ways. Like, is someone going to recite Anita's rhetoric while attacking you on the street?

Edited by Campaignjunkie

Wow you have completely missed my point. And here i thought i couldn't have marked it more clearly as sarcasm (except for putting actual sarcasm tags on it).

My point is that shaming people for their sexuality is a bad thing. Imagine for a moment Anita's video was about gays and the things that they find erotic. It would be a scandal in this day and age and rightly so! Remember the "they eat da poo poo"-video?

But apparently it's A-OK to shame heterosexual males for having sexual desires and preferences BECAUSE RAPE CULTURE.The undertone of all these videos is "How dare you pig disgusting men to get turned on by that filth!". And she comes of as so misguided because she identifies herself with sexualized female depictions. It's so ridiculous. Of course a gay men who checks out some random pics of muscular male bodies does NOT think of me. That would be so absurd. But it is how Anita's thinking process works going by her videos.

If you think she is trying to shame men for having sexual desires, you're very much missing the point of the videos.  Go to about 17:00 in the Women as Background Decoration video, that sums up a lot of her point in the span of a few seconds.  Exploring sexuality in games is a natural progression, but the ways it is expressed at the moment is showing women as what is a sexual object, not as people.

I see as always we get the circular argument going. Say what you want but to me video game characters arn't people. Period.

And Anita Sarkeesian wanting to decide for others what is "healthy & normal sexuality" goes hand in hand with shaming everything that she doesn't approve off. Not sure what else to tell you if you can't see that. It's not different from the twisted and paranoid thinking behind Russia making anti "gay propaganda" laws to protect their youth from "filthy, degenerate and dangerous" influences.

I see as always we get the circular argument going. Say what you want but to me video game characters arn't people. Period.

And Anita Sarkeesian wanting to decide for others what is "healthy & normal sexuality" goes hand in hand with shaming everything that she doesn't approve off. Not sure what else to tell you if you can't see that. It's not different from the twisted and paranoid thinking behind Russia making anti "gay propaganda" laws to protect their youth from "filthy, degenerate and dangerous" influences.

I wouldn't exactly compare her thinking on what is healthy sexuality on propaganda, her reasoning is backed up by studies, which she references in the video.  I could say that eating only cheetos is a healthy diet, but that simply isn't true.  Of course people in video games aren't real, but their portrayal does have real world consequences

I wouldn't exactly compare her thinking on what is healthy sexuality on propaganda, her reasoning is backed up by studies, which she references in the video.

Confirmation bias

I could say that eating only cheetos is a healthy diet, but that simply isn't true.

False equivalence

Of course people in video games aren't real, but their portrayal does have real world consequences

Bullshit

I wouldn't exactly compare her thinking on what is healthy sexuality on propaganda, her reasoning is backed up by studies, which she references in the video.

Confirmation bias

Alright, then can you give me evidence to the contrary?

I could say that eating only cheetos is a healthy diet, but that simply isn't true.

False equivalence

Yeah, you're right, seeing women as sub-human is completely healthy, regular behavior, and the concept of sexual health (in a conceptual sense, not actually talking about STDs and stuff) is a complete myth.

Of course people in video games aren't real, but their portrayal does have real world consequences

Bullshit

Just like that anti-gay propaganda (or any propaganda, or societal norm), eh?  Surrounding people with a concept such as the objectification of women has had a very concrete effect upon people, simply look at the extremely defensive (many times creepy) reaction to these videos, or the #yesallwomen twitter thing a little while back.  

Simply stating logical fallacies isn't an argument in itself, by the way.

Anita has no authority to decide what is healthy sexuality and what is not. Period. Stay the fuck out of peoples bedrooms! That goes to homophobes and people like her alike.

Yeah, you're right, seeing women as sub-human is completely healthy, regular behavior, and the concept of sexual health (in a conceptual sense, not actually talking about STDs and stuff) is a complete myth.

You like Anita make shit up. I don't even know what mental hoops you jump through to come to the conclusion that sexualized depictions make women subhuman in the aficionados mind. Ther's a thousand fetishes and things people get of to. BDSM is pretty popular or so i heard (among males and females) but surely a women being a submissive slave for sexual pleasure is completely sick in your mind and even more sick the people who jerk off to such depictions. The biggest crime however is to look at big breasted fictional characters in video games.

Just like that anti-gay propaganda (or any propaganda, or societal norm), eh?  Surrounding people with a concept such as the objectification of women has had a very concrete effect upon people, simply look at the extremely defensive (many times creepy) reaction to these videos, or the #yesallwomen twitter thing a little while back.

It's the same old "video games turn people into psychotic killers"-argument recoined to fit the feminist agenda. Correlation does not imply causation. Like killers who played games had issues to begin with so have misogynistic gamers or girls who feel objectified by depictions of sexy game characters.

Anita has no authority to decide what is healthy sexuality and what is not. Period. Stay the fuck out of peoples bedrooms! That goes to homophobes and people like her alike.

You like Anita make shit up. I don't even know what mental hoops you jump through to come to the conclusion that sexualized depictions make women subhuman in the aficionados mind. Ther's a thousand fetishes and things people get of to. BDSM is pretty popular or so i heard (among males and females) but surely a women being a submissive slave for sexual pleasure is completely sick in your mind and even more sick the people who jerk off to such depictions. The biggest crime however is to look at big breasted fictional characters in video games.

It's the same old "video games turn people into psychotic killers"-argument recoined to fit the feminist agenda. Correlation does not imply causation. Like killers who played games had issues to begin with so have misogynistic gamers or girls who feel objectified by depictions of sexy game characters.

So, I'm just going on a limb here, but you're really just afraid of games changing, aren't you?  Your only argument is that Anita is "making shit up", but she has time and time again backed up her argument with proven studies and actual psychology.  This isn't about whatever fetish you may have, this is about societal problems where because of the constant reinforcement of seeing women as sexual objects, many people think it's okay to treat them like shit.  Just fucking read anything that was tweeted with the #yesallwomen hashtag, and better yet, the #1reasonwhy hashtag.  There is a problem here that needs addressing, and taking a look at what what we're making is just about the only way we can try to fix this very clear issue of sexism within the industry.  But whatever, you're probably just going to dismiss this once again by saying every argument is made up if they don't support your beliefs.