Tropes vs Women in Video Games

Rick_D

I just don't get it. The video is dry; she lacks enthusiasm so much you have to wonder if she did it all in an afternoon just to get it of the way. I'm so bored watching it I have to keep skipping forward.

Every bit I've watched has just been a load of facts which feel like they came straight off Wikipedia, with virtually no compelling analysis that makes me feel like I'm gaining anything at all from watching it.

I'm guessing a lot of the $160,000 budget she got for this will be spent on another things. There might be another 10 episodes or so, but if they're more of this...

I see all the feminists and white knights out there are loving it. Kind of preaching to the choir though, no? That's like making a series about how awesome MapCore is and asking us what we think. :P

While I think the subject is noble and worth doing a research on, the video is incredibly shallow and doesn't bring anything new to the table. Quoting Wikipedia and TVTropes is not a research, and I'm baffled to see she needed $150,000 to do this. I'm hoping the next parts will be way better than this, because this one has 0 arguments and uses plain wrong examples at times.

Ked nailed it for me. There's always an argument for inequality in race/gender/age/etc if you look for it. I'm pretty sure I could write a university grade dissertation on the portrayal of western Caucasian males in games as heartless murderers. It doesn't make it an issue.

I honestly tried to watch it twice, but I quit. It's impossible. I simply lose all my interest very easily. It's so boring to watch it, I don't feel comfortable by her facial expressions and she seems butt hurt.

She reminded me of a few über spoiled girls from my class when I was 12 years old. They give you that look, do that thing with the eyebrows and say anything pretending they have all the reason. lol.

I agree with all you guys said already.

She should move to Sweden.

Why? ;p

Edited by Al Anselmo

When the straight white men of MapCore unite to talk about how sexism / homophobia / racism isn't real and isn't worth talking about, especially in the game industry, you're all sending a message to other MapCore community members -- don't post, don't participate, your feelings aren't valid.

I think that's okay in EOT because that's the special space for it; I avoid EOT and I'm fine with it.

But if you do it out here, in public, keep in mind that people are going to see this, and you're making someone like me feel less welcome here. What, so I'm going to have to start avoiding the "Gaming Discussion" forums too? I wonder how the women of MapCore feel?

I'm not saying "censor" your sexist opinions; feel as sexist as you want. But just know that there's a chilling effect on others you're intimidating with that attitude. A consequence. And really, you end up looking tactless.

Don't worry, no one is going to speak-up and complain because they feel intimidated. They'll just leave.

Edited by Campaignjunkie

When the straight white men of MapCore unite to talk about how sexism / homophobia / racism isn't real and isn't worth talking about, especially in the game industry, you're all sending a message to other MapCore community members -- don't post, don't participate, your feelings aren't valid.

I think that's okay in EOT because that's the special space for it; I avoid EOT and I'm fine with it.

But if you do it out here, in public, keep in mind that people are going to see this, and you're making someone like me feel less welcome here. What, so I'm going to have to start avoiding the "Gaming Discussion" forums too? I wonder how the women of MapCore feel?

I'm not saying "censor" your sexist opinions; feel as sexist as you want. But just know that there's a chilling effect on others you're intimidating with that attitude. A consequence. And really, you end up looking tactless.

Don't worry, no one is going to speak-up and complain because they feel intimidated. They'll just leave.

I don't think many if any people in this thread are saying sexism isn't a problem. The criticism is more based around the video in the OP not being very good and a waste of lots of money that could have give towards more meaningful and effective causes.

If you're saying we're not allowed to express any negative opinions about the video because it's about sexism and we're horrible mysogonistic pigs for daring to say as such, I'm not sure how that's any better than the intimidation you allude to.

It's not my job to convince you that you're possibly intimidating women by saying "this woman talking about representation of women in games has nothing of value to say and she's a crook and she's wrong and she's a hack" -- intellectualism can come off as sexist too.

So, okay, I'm just going to stop visiting Gaming Discussion. Sorry to bother you.

I'm not exactly agreeing with your sweeping assessment that the forum is a culturally ignorant echo chamber. The general consensus within the sensible boards seems to be sexism is a genuine issue, both from the perspective of game content and the industry itself. This doesn't mean that all commentary about it is immune to criticism.

Unless you're basically just talking about 1-2 bad posters, which wouldn't justify your idle threat... you do know we never get new members because this is a decade dead half-life 1 modification community, right?

Edited by Taylor

No one stands up against feminism because they're scared to stand up against blatant 'you're guilty' attacks like this one. And no one is saying racism/sexism/whateverism doesn't exist. Just because it does exist doesn't mean blow it up in everyone's faces and way out of context like this video does.

You're basically saying "You are disagreeing with her, therefore, you are sexist" - which is dumb, ignorant, and full of shit.

And i'm hispanic, not white.

Edited by Kedhrin

a bunch of dudes saying a "feminist" video where a woman makes a lot of bad arguments about video games is obviously at risk of being interpreted as a big hate-rage-boner, but in reality its just a dumb video and she makes bad arguments. we're not to blame

-- intellectualism can come off as sexist too.

personally this is where you lose me, if the goal is to treat women like equals, then women making shoddy arguments deserve to be critiqued the same way I think cliffyb is off his rocker when he equates steam with origin using really shoddy equivocacies. it's really a lose lose topic though, because nobody is disputing sexism exists

anyways that's enough GURL GAMER talk for me.

Edited by FMPONE

No one stands up against feminism because they're scared to stand up against blatant 'you're guilty' attacks like this one. And no one is saying racism/sexism/whateverism doesn't exist. Just because it does exist doesn't mean blow it up in everyone's faces and way out of context like this video does.

You're basically saying "You are disagreeing with her, therefore, you are sexist" - which is dumb, ignorant, and full of shit.

And i'm hispanic, not white.

Wtf thrik did you know about this! A hispanic on this forum! An outrage, this forum is for white males only! /s

Pretty much Kedhrin has hit the nail on the head. Her original claim that kicked up a stink was that the female characters in the video game industry are portrayed in a sexist manner. Which is a ridiculous sweeping generalization. Have you even read her dissertation CJ? Her assertions on negative and positive roles of male or female are beyond absurd and in themselves could be construed as sexist.

Btw as far as her making videos and people paying for it. Who cares? Its her choice and theirs to pay. But that doesn't mean people shouldn't be allowed to critique her critique.

Edited by Vilham