Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Izuno

It's kind of pissing me off. By the time I got around to playing Brotherhood, Revelations was out. By the time I got around to Revelations, AC3 was out. And now by the time I get around to AC3, this fucker will be out. :oops:

In some ways I think the AC whoring is even worse than what Activision did with CoD. It's just too much too quickly and I'm finding myself too fatigued to really enjoy each new instalment, they're kind of blending into one big never-ending splurge. I'm sure Ubi are making loads of money but holy shit...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry for bump...wait. No I'm not sorry. Just watched this:

I know, it's a hype trailer. I am hyped, and honestly I have been bored by every AC game. No offense to any of you who worked on the franchise. It's an incredible series, I've just never clicked with it. So bravo to you if you make your living making these games.

Anyway, I am honestly interested in ACIV now because of

1) The time period. Fucking pirates in true old school naval combat before modern steel warships with nothing but the wind to propel you? Sign me up. That is naval tactics at its best. Modern naval combat simulation games? Pls. No electronics. No radar. (I hope no lame ass fake 17th century equivalent they invented for the game...unless it really is legit which it won't be ffs)

2) Swinging from ropes (even if totally unrealistic) from one ship to the other? I just manspackled my pants. That and the 3rd person action combat mixed in with the naval combat? OMG.

So, Ubisoft, listen: don't fuck this up. Siriusly, seriously. This is probably the most realistic attempt at creating a plausible 3rd person action adventure game where you do typical melee/ranged combat, stealth AND have goddam naval ship to ship combat that I can think of in gaming.

There...I've said my peace. Please make this the first AC game I love.

To be honest I've been waiting for a truly great pirate game for years so if it takes the cash behemoth that is AC to make it happen I'm cool with that. :D I've been getting huge sequel fatigue but after skipping AC3 and only really skimming Revelations I'm about ready for some more.

Lots of text

Word! I've desperately tried to like AC because it looks so beautiful. But I find the gameplay just tedious and boring. Sure it's improved since the first one but still, after a couple of hours everything starts to feel like a choir. It's annoying because I want to like these games and I love the settings they use :(

CUT

I totally understand you Izuno; have you seen the walkthrough?

This finally turned on my attention.

I'm not sure about the tactics involved in the naval combat and the critique you are moving to current naval games; I never play that kind of game, but AC is an action title, wind physics are clearly fake. But what i've seen in the demo is impressive anyway, looks fun, that matters.

The thing I can't help but thinking is «What the hell makes this an "Assassin's" game?» frankly I don't see the connection there, it's just banking on a franchise and this annoys me a lot. I'm imagining playing this and all of a sudden getting interrupted by some Desmond's storyline scene... i'm throwing the pad out of the window already at that thought.

PS: look, there's the dreaded radar on your HUD.

Edited by blackdog