Beck

The worst game mechanics?

I think bodies disappearing can be a mechanic. A perfect example is Deus Ex: Human Revolution. In that game, bodies will literally persist in the world indefinitely — you can return to somewhere 10+ hours later and that body is still there, and at any time it could be discovered and an alarm raised. So in that respect, the body remaining in place instead of vanishing is definitely a gameplay mechanic.

IMO it would be better if more games left bodies in the world, and had enemies and NPCs alike react to them. Why do enemies not react in any way to seeing legions of their comrades lying in a bloody heap in the floor in something like Call of Duty? Why don't they run away in fear when they see that you're laying waste to them like ants? I know games like Far Cry tackle this issue, but many games don't bother or if they do it's a token "Oh a dead body! Now I'll go back to walking backwards and forwards forever."

I know it's been said before, but better AI is what I want to see during the next generation. With more computing power than ever available, that means there's a lot more possibility to have enemies react in very clever and surprising ways. It's very rarely a game's AI genuinely surprises me, like when I first played FEAR and they were crawling along the floor and shit. If most games shun such innovations for the sake of even prettier graphics I will be so disappointed.

Ok Thrik, what you described is a mechanic, but bodies disappearing when they serve no gameplay purpose, its for performance reasons, thats all I am saying. If you want gameplay situations for bodies, such as alarm/drag/hide/rape, etc than yes they are mechanics :) It really depends on the game tbh.

Edited by Dark

no quick save, health regen, overuse of screen effects and cut scenes breaking stuff up all the time are defo my most disliked modern game trends. Oh yeah and lots of small DLC's rather than a meaningful expansion pack and achievements I really don't give a crap about (I know this seems to be popular somehow)

Edited by 2d-chris

I don't like it when games take away the possibility to interact with them.

So when I start a game for the first time and I have to watch 10 minutes of bad cutscenes wiith crappy dialogoue, and a huge wall of text, I usually tend to not like that.

I know it's been said before, but better AI is what I want to see during the next generation.

Me too, there's no "next-gen" until better AI comes about.

Doors that lock behind you even though you just walked through them without any trouble (yes Max Payne 3, I'm looking at you)

Another facet of the same problem: cutscenes that trigger the moment you get a certain item? Like Alan Wake when you get the keys to the chopper and you still have to pick up the ammo on the other desk.

I despise games with save checkpoints just before 10 MINUTE LONG UNSKIPPABLE CUT SCENES.

Yeah, probably checkpoints before cutscenes are the worst of the things. I've just finished yesterday to replay Batman Arkham Asylum and even if they have skippable cutscenes, you waste a good deal of time just because.

Let's see:

- Unskippable cinematics.

- Jam on your face when you get hurt.

- QTEs everywhere. One or two is fine, more really gets on my nerves.

- Auto health regen when it's not done right, especially when it is in a SP game (it's not done right 99% of the time, sadly).

- Autosaves in stupid spots.

- Unskippable intros. I love Dishonored, but the unskippable intro is really annoying.

- Lack of quicksave. AVP must be the only game that did it right. Games like D2 do not really count.

Not really a game mechanic, but I also usually dislike stupid AI unless it's done right. Quake's monsters are incredibly dumb, but they have great synergy between them. This is pretty rare nowadays, sadly.

I hate single player games that kills me. I play up until I die and then I let it rest forever in the unfinished games catalog...

I despise games with save checkpoints just before 10 MINUTE LONG UNSKIPPABLE CUT SCENES.

Yes. I'm looking at you Paper Mario 2. It had a 10 minute long cut scene just before the final boss. If you die, you had to rewatch the WHOLE FUCKING THING. I must of watched that cutscene about 30 or so times before I was able to finally beat the bastard. :|

this, attached with the lack of a 'retry' button... but if it takes forever to load again, or kicks you back to a menu - absolutely infuriates me. It's one of the worst things in games and i don't know why some designers still do it "LETS MAKE THEM GO BACK THROUGH LOADING AND MENUS LOL".

Especially in parts of a game that's really difficult and you have to do it over and over.

this, attached with the lack of a 'retry' button... but if it takes forever to load again, or kicks you back to a menu - absolutely infuriates me. It's one of the worst things in games and i don't know why some designers still do it "LETS MAKE THEM GO BACK THROUGH LOADING AND MENUS LOL".

Especially in parts of a game that's really difficult and you have to do it over and over.

QFT

Lack of consistency in this area also infuriates me. GTA4 pisses me off with this (although i love that game). Some missions if you screw up you have to do a cutscene then drive somewhere, then another cutscene then more driving then the mission. Sometimes when you answer that text you just get plopped right back into the gunfight. Wtf Rockstar?!