Sign in to follow this  
Serenius

PC gaming nirvana

Very nice, but wouldn't that fuck your eyes up sitting so close to a monitor that big?

Just a myth AFAIK. It shouldn't make a great deal of difference whether you're focusing on a 15-inch or 50-inch screen if they're the same distance away from your eyes. Spending too much time staring at anything so close can (and is in my case :() cause you to become short-sighted, though.

Very nice, but wouldn't that fuck your eyes up sitting so close to a monitor that big?

Just a myth AFAIK. It shouldn't make a great deal of difference whether you're focusing on a 15-inch or 50-inch screen if they're the same distance away from your eyes. Spending too much time staring at anything so close can (and is in my case :() cause you to become short-sighted, though.

This is also a myth I believe. do you have any data to back that up?

I think that also goes under the same myth that wearing glasses will make your eyes adapt to them (permanently), as if making your eyesight more dependent on them.

Edited by csyver

This is also a myth I believe. do you have any data to back that up?

I think that also goes under the same myth that wearing glasses will make your eyes adapt to them (permanently), as if making your eyesight more dependent on them.

Well I don't know about permanent changes, I was referring to a temporary short-sightedness. That's what I experience: if I stare at a computer screen all day, my vision is basically shot all evening. If I stop using a computer for a few days it more or less reverts to normal, but it's so rarely I do that I'm virtually always short-sighted.

I think the proper name I was given was 'computer fatigue syndrome'. Basically anything that isn't really close to me becomes blurry, I really struggle to read the Deus Ex emails on my TV screen for example after a day of work, whereas if I play during the morning it's not so bad.

Yeah, I'm starting to have the same with my eyes Thrik. You can always get a bigger TV, I bought a 65" and I fucking love it, perfect size for a medium sized living room. I get so used to have a monitor close to my eyes, sometimes i have to struggle a bit when reading small letters on a TV :(

I paid a visit to a ophthalmologist and i'm gonna have to wear glasses everytime I'm in front of any kind of screen, or reading. Getting old sucks.

I have stigmatism and I have to wear glasses when using the computer, if I don't my vision swirls and I suffer from migraines. It's pretty common with people who have always used computers for much of the day every day since young. Even then I still sometimes get vision warping, I would think something of that size would probably make me go blind!

No eye strain after a full playthrough of Crysis 3. I do naturally find myself leaning back in my chair instead of hunched over like with my old 23" monitor on the right in that picture, so my posture improves too!

Edited by Serenius