Portfolio of level designer - Need feedback on work

tenpindan

Firstly, I am new here. This looks like a good site and I am looking forward to spending more time here :D

I am a young, aspiring level designer. I am still in college, and I am not even studying anything related to level designing, but that is my ultimate passion. I only recently realised I have mode tonnes of short projects on my own, so I have slammed them all into a Wordpress blog. (I should be buying my own site soon). I am also hopefully going to try and get into a team who needs a mapper soon.

So here is my portfolio : http://tenpindan.wordpress.com/

I am looking for feedback on the work, I already know the site is not the best :P

Only got a second before i leave for the pub but ill throw my 2 cents in quickly. You need to think about what youre trying to sell yourself as (assuming you have the eventual goal of working in the industry). If you're trying to be a level designer you really need to be showing map layouts so employers can get a feel for your use of space and flow.

Also, some people disagree with this, i was always taught to just show my best work. If the 12th project doesnt show something that you havent showed in the first 11 projects then it has no place on your portfolio. I never have more than half a dozen things on my portfolio. I dont expect anyone to look beyond that when deciding who to hire.

Only got a second before i leave for the pub but ill throw my 2 cents in quickly. You need to think about what youre trying to sell yourself as (assuming you have the eventual goal of working in the industry). If you're trying to be a level designer you really need to be showing map layouts so employers can get a feel for your use of space and flow.

Also, some people disagree with this, i was always taught to just show my best work. If the 12th project doesnt show something that you havent showed in the first 11 projects then it has no place on your portfolio. I never have more than half a dozen things on my portfolio. I dont expect anyone to look beyond that when deciding who to hire.

Thanks! This is really insightful, I always thought it was best to throw everything I made out there. But you made me realise that is not always the best tactic. Quality not quanitity I think the saying goes. Thank you for your feedback!

I'll agree with Kinky in that it's quality over quantity. I think if a prospective employer is taking a look at your folio, they'll probably only look at 2 or three pieces, so make sure they see your best. If may also be beneficial to discuss your rationale, and show your pre-production work (if you've done it), behind each level.

PS good to see another CryEngine user here 8)