FMPONE

I need to KILL HOSTAGES!

Hi guys, slight issue right now with my CS:GO map, I've got a bottomless pit elevator shaft and I need the hostages to die when they fall in, or else this area could ruin the entire match. Any help in triggering a hostage death would be appreciated, so far I've tried both fall damage and trigger_hurt and neither has done the trick.

Can you use simple IO for it? I don't know what stuff exists scripting wise in CS:Go.

Like 'Kill' target !activator on a trigger_multiple? It's been long since I touched source scripting :(

i'm not sure what you're ultimately trying to accomplish, but if keeping them out of the pit works, you might be able to help it along by editing the nav mesh with nav_avoid or something else that discourages travel. i don't know much about the behavior of hostages while following cts, so it's just a guess.

forumsteam-3baf4ac.png this didn't work

the point is, it's just supposed to be a bottomless pit, but right now everyone except the hostages dies. I can't find a way to kill the hostages

Edited by FMPONE

Hmm make sure that the trigger is set to trigger on NPC's, under flags I think. Otherwise I guess you can name the hostages, and have a filter entity to check towards entity names on the trigger.

Try setting it to "Sethealth" "0" instead, "Kill" will just remove a entity from the map, so it will just disappear. But maybe hostages can't be killed except by players, I don't know :E

I haven't played much GO (and when I did was on the new game modes) so maybe Hostages aren't as acrobatic as in the past, but I'd instead see if it's possible to prevent to fall in the pit, I'd be pissed off to see them die and loose points because of the poor AI navigation they're known for. If the pit is along one of the main rescue routes that will influence a lot its use... I don't remember any official map where's possible to get killed by the environment.

But that I say without having any idea of what you are doing.

I haven't played much GO (and when I did was on the new game modes) so maybe Hostages aren't as acrobatic as in the past, but I'd instead see if it's possible to prevent to fall in the pit, I'd be pissed off to see them die and loose points because of the poor AI navigation they're known for. If the pit is along one of the main rescue routes that will influence a lot its use... I don't remember any official map where's possible to get killed by the environment.

But that I say without having any idea of what you are doing.

You summed up my thoughts pretty much exactly, upon further reflection I've also come to this conclusion. The hostages have really odd behavior and it would have been inevitable that good players suffered at the hands of goofy AI, which is not a good map mechanic

It's also obvious to me now why De_ type maps are more popular, hostages are a very clunky mechanic at times

Edited by FMPONE

It's also obvious to me now why De_ type maps are more popular, hostages are a very clunky mechanic at times

Yeah, i don't remember if cs_ maps are even considered in ladder/tournaments; I remember that back when I had a clan (CS:S) we had a few clan-matches on hostages maps, but just to see how those would play.

Personally I love cs_ maps, or at least I can hang around Office and Italy for hours straight... but they rarely end up in a win by rescue.

Btw curious to see what you are cooking up! (I remember you started that topic about the museum-themed map - and it was looking gorgeous)

Edited by blackdog

cs_ is not a good competitive mechanic for many reasons.. you cannot rely on player skill and team tactics because of AI, and most maps are heavily biased towards defenders so any good team can just destroy attackers. the dynamics of de_ maps is just a lot better for competitive play.

cs_ is more of a pub muck-around gametype; which is great because you can really have some fun with it: try making ct's be the defenders, try spreading out the hostages, add in crazy biased areas, make the maps huge and sprawling etc. I think cs_ completely has it's place and it's a great gametype for level designers to really play around with the limits of the game. just don't force yourself to be constrained by the whole "oh this will be unfair if so-and-so happens". fuck it, have fun!