Playstation 4

┌HP┘

I only need 24 fps, if I could get 4k instead of these puny little resolutions... People discussing if PS4 or XBone is more powerful is like kids discussing who's got the bigger wheels on their bobbycart. You're not buying a console because of the better resolution in Call of Duty. If you're concerned about resolution and framerate, buy a PC. If you like console comfort, then it just comes down to if you like XBL or PSN better and what your friends are using.

24 FPS is pretty shit even in movies where motion blurring hides a lot of it, at least for pans and such. 24 FPS in gaming is madness, lol. 30 FPS is an absolute minimum as far as I'm concerned. For me, 1080p (the maximum 99% of living room gamers can actually perceive) with as high a frame rate as possible is what developers should be targeting.

Also the 'just go buy a PC' argument really sucks. Consoles have lots of great exclusives, and even when games are available on the PC it's often much later and with compromises — things are getting better, but we ain't there yet. And of course couch gaming is more difficult on a PC, at least until we enter the Steam Machine world.

Don't you think we'd all just have PCs in our living rooms if it were practical? I've actually had a Crysis-spec PC in my living room which I used for gaming for a year and it was a constant pain in the ass in almost every way. Saying that we're not allowed to have an opinion on tech specs and performance because we haven't invested in a powerhouse PC...  :?

Sitting in front of the TV and playing games is SO much better than sitting at a desk. It's just uncomfortable sitting at a desk (no matter how comfy your chair is!). That's the one thing that pisses me off about PC-only players and their hatred for consoles.. Try it, it feels so much nicer! You feel like you're actually enjoying playing a game rather than working at your desk ;)

the reason why we need higher framerates is two-parted:

a) we want maximum re-action time and instant recognition of anything moving on screen. If you play Quake 3 Arena, sure, max the framerate out. But if you play some dude-bro-singleplayer-military-shooter where the AI never hits you in the first place, I'd rather go for resolution than framerate.

b) video games had/have shitty motionblur apart from the Crysis series (at least I didn't see anything come close recently) and without Motionblur you can more clearly pick out stuttering. The reason why movies get away with 24 fps is because naturally you have camera motionblur that allows your eyes to blend naturally between the frames. Give better Motionblur to games and people won't mind the lower framerates (again: Not Quake3 approved, where you need to see the outline of everyone crystal clear).

so - if someone asks if I want, say Uncharted in 4k at 24fps or 720p at 60fps (hypothetically, i know technically its not as easy), I'd rather have the higher resolution, as long as the framerate is stable.

Edited by e-freak

Agree on the 4k thing. 

The fact that phone companies are starting to work on 4k phones is ridiculous. A reduction in battery life for a resolution almost no one is going to be able to discern. I don't even care about 4k on my 52 inch TV. I would rather have a 1080p 60fps world with say (pulling this out of my ass) 4X the detail than a 4k environment without the details. 

Sitting in front of the TV and playing games is SO much better than sitting at a desk. It's just uncomfortable sitting at a desk (no matter how comfy your chair is!). That's the one thing that pisses me off about PC-only players and their hatred for consoles.. Try it, it feels so much nicer! You feel like you're actually enjoying playing a game rather than working at your desk ;)

Tried it, liked it, but I still prefer my PC chair and desk. You must be sat on the Throne of Swords from GOT. (not comfy)

As I'm getting older, the sofa is more and more appealing to me. Also, my wife can share it with me, she actually enjoys watching me play games, specially if it's story driven games, and that's something she couldn't do if I played on the PC more often. All the PC games that I play nowadays, I play them on the sofa with a XBox360 pad and I love it! (That new steam UI helps as well)

My setup is I have a Yamaha amplifier serving as the hub for my whole setup, everything electronics is plug into it, and I mean everything! Which then of course connects to my Plasma. 

Five speakers and a 12" sub, (sub is sitting right next to the sofa to send the vibrations to me not the neighbors.) The Wii, the xbox360, the PS3 and my PC.

For the PC I bought a 15 meter HDMI cable to connect my PC to the amp. So I can do dual monitor with my main monitor AND the TV. So to play games on the TV I just boot up steams and it automatically detects my xbox360 pad and TV, voilla!

Awesome set up, I've been sitting in a fucking office chair in front of a small monitor since I'm 15, fuck that shit! Give me a good set up and a couch any day of the week now, I've earned it, lol.

PS. I couldn't recommend more buying an amp, specially if you have many consoles. It's a very worthwhile investment  which obviously has the added bonus of being able to buy a proper sound setup, I still don't know how can some people play games or watch movies with standard TV speakers.