What have you read lately?

6a00d83452989a69e20133f29b7089970b-800wi

History of Nintendo focusing on what they did before they made video games. 

Great shitter read, everything is broken into small sections and is really interesting.

There's a great part about how the president (yamauchi) invested in Japanese love hotels. They lost a ton of money but a bunch of newspapers said with the amount of money he spends taking women to love hotels it might have actually SAVED Nintendo money.

tldr : the president of Nintendo was a manslut

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's some stuff I've read/listened to recently that I enjoyed quite a bit, mostly sci-fi classics:     And slowly going through this monster of an audiobook (it's

@AlexM   Just finished Neuromancer, by far the hardest book I've ever read. Not per se as in difficult to understand but just hard in the way it is written, going through it takes a lot of time

I meant to post weeks ago, but I have finally finished IT. I bought it right away after the trailer of the new movie came out, and was my intention to read it before the movie was in cinemas

Posted Images

AClashOfKings.jpg

AStormOfSwords.jpg

372px-AFeastForCrows.jpg

It took me half a year but only one book remains. Never in my life have I've read such an compelling story. The writing itself may be slow, especially in regard to the fast pace style of my other favorite author (Robert E Howard) but it's fascinating from beginning to end. Many a night I spent reading until dawn, utterly amazed by the sheer amount brilliance of all the scheming happening before my eyes. I can not remember having seen anything so carefully worked out. The setup of certain twist (which are not all about killing of characters you haters) is just pure genius. It's not a story anymore. It's a world that has come alive. Something so great that it has to be preserved forever.

Now let's just hope god will be less cruel and not kill Martin before he finishes his epic saga. 

playing_to_win_large.jpg?10

Awesome book about the street fighter and competitive gaming scene with an modern interpretation of Sun Tzu's art of war as it applies to competitive gaming. 

Good overall book when it comes to the mindset of an individual who is determined to be the best in their field.

0753823799.02._SCLZZZZZZZ_PU_PU-5_.jpg

Amazing person and life. People only underline the bad things he did, but that was custom in that time, he was just insanely good at it.

Next to the bad he did a lot of profound good work.

I don't think killing an estimated 30 to 60 million would be considered a custom in anytime nor would any amount of good work ever justify that.

• 4 months later...

enders-game-book-poster.png

This book was generally really good but there's one point in this book that is some of the best writing I've ever read in my life. I was on a bus starting to get all teary eyed, totally came out of left field. 

That part where he discovers the landscape from his dreams on the alien planet then hears the queen think. She says something along the lines of "they haven't forgiven us we are going to die" and leaves the egg for Ender behind the mirror. Wow, I did not see that coming, the way it was written it's like you can feel the queens pain and regret.

It's a great book but that last chapter is on another level. I know it all builds up to that throughout the book and can't stand on it's own but it all culminates into this profound emotional impact.

• 4 weeks later...

@AlexM

Maybe I'm just a robot incapable of feelings but I found that a bit too melodramatic and lame personally, didn't do anything at all for me (the same when that happened in the movie). Perhaps I just can't relate to a bunch of bugs... The part where you get to know the game is fake and he's been annihilating the bugs all along, that was very goose-bumpish for me, very awesome!

:D

Just finished Neuromancer, by far the hardest book I've ever read. Not per se as in difficult to understand but just hard in the way it is written, going through it takes a lot of time and attention from the reader (or at least me). Took me almost 3 months cos I could only read 10-20ish pages in a sitting.

c_neuromancer.jpg

Now onto Dune!

Edited by Chimeray

Do you have a Sci-Fi list Chimeray?

I came across this on Imgur. I was thinking about working my way through that.

https://imgur.com/gallery/rO97N

Anyway, just finished Masters of Doom. A very very depressing book. I still can't believe, even tough the book illustrates everything so well, that it all went to shit.

Masters_of_doom-Book_cover.jpg

I don't really have a substantial list, I was just talking to my art director about sci fi books some while back and he mentioned a couple so I've been going through those while also getting a second opinion through some lists online. But yeah basically I'm planning on going through these: Ender's Game, Neuromancer, Dune, Altered Carbon, Snow Crash. Reading them in that order for some reason :P A close friend of mine is reading Hyperion but I wasn't interested in that, I forgot for what reason though but maybe it's something for you.

I've read Foundation about 10 years ago as well and from what I remember it was pretty good albeit a bit dated...

A lot of lists share the same books so I doubt you'll find one on there that is really bad, flavor might be a bit personal so in the end it might not become a favorite but I doubt you'd find one in there that really sucks. I mean, most of them had a big significance on popular media so they're worth reading for just that alone!

I pretty much did the same with fantasy books last year but got tired of the genre a bit, hence the switch to sci-fi, I'll probably get back to it though :)

Edited by Chimeray

@AlexM

Maybe I'm just a robot incapable of feelings but I found that a bit too melodramatic and lame personally, didn't do anything at all for me (the same when that happened in the movie). Perhaps I just can't relate to a bunch of bugs... The part where you get to know the game is fake and he's been annihilating the bugs all along, that was very goose-bumpish for me, very awesome!

:D

Just finished Neuromancer, by far the hardest book I've ever read. Not per se as in difficult to understand but just hard in the way it is written, going through it takes a lot of time and attention from the reader (or at least me). Took me almost 3 months cos I could only read 10-20ish pages in a sitting.

c_neuromancer.jpg

Now onto Dune!

OMG so glad to know I'm not the only one who took months to finish that book. I remember when I read it (I was probably 15 or something) I had to restart it 2 or 3 times because it was so hard to follow.

Anyway, great story and characters. Still waiting for the movie :)

• 3 months later...

Seeing as how Martin is taking forever with The Winds of Winter and The Witcher 3 is postponed I decided to still my brutal dark fantasy hunger with these. This is going to be good!

10358741_820012668018576_889677731581996

• 1 month later...

0753823799.02._SCLZZZZZZZ_PU_PU-5_.jpg

Amazing person and life. People only underline the bad things he did, but that was custom in that time, he was just insanely good at it.

Next to the bad he did a lot of profound good work.

I don't think killing an estimated 30 to 60 million would be considered a custom in anytime nor would any amount of good work ever justify that.

:)