Sprony

What have you read lately?

Wow, that's A LOT of stuff @Minos, how long to get through that material?

I finished "The Virgin Way" by Richard Branson just coming in the new year (book about management is done in Virgin and generally best practices).
I also read, overlapping to it, a minor sci-fi novel about mind-swap, but can't remember the title and I'm not at my home to check...

I'm reading "Videogame Storytelling" by Evan Skolnick (link) and I have also started the classic "IT" by Stephen King in light of the new movie. I calculated I need to read 10 pages per day to make it in time for release. I knew it was a thick book about 1K pages long, but I wasn't prepared to the weight this brick of 13xx pages has. Don't understand why they didn't publish in two volumes or something.

This is the kind of book that justifies the purchase of an e-reader, and I started thinking of sending it back and buy a Kindle if I can find a good used deal. I have been trying to avoid buying books in the recent years, trying to get through what I had on the shelf to then get e-reading, then gf peer pressure made me buy some books :D

Edited by blackdog

On 3/27/2017 at 3:38 AM, Sprony said:

The Movie Art of Syd Mead: Visual Futurist

the-movie-art-of-syd-mead.jpg

From the man that brought you Blade Runner and Aliens among other things. I'm sure people like @(HP) and sci-fi designers like @PogoP will appreciate this.

That's a strong cover, really like that second pic!

It's great for references @FMPONE

Also, @Minos, I've been wanting to buy some Philip K Dick books for a while now. Purely based on the many movies that reference his work. Is it similar or are the adaptations really different?

Those are books that I read in the past 3 years or so, some of them were audiobooks that I listened at work :)

Sprony: Though I haven't read A Scanner Darkly, I think that's the movie that captures his work the best imo. At least the feeling of what it is like to read one of his novels.

By the way, here's a really cool series that talks about a bunch of sci-fi authors (Philip K, Heinlein, Arthur C Clarke, Asimov, etc...)  and their major works: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2091018/

Gosh, a bit scary to read Scanner Darkly captures his narrative at best 😅 

I read Ubik in Italian, then Scanner Darkly (and Do Androids…?) and Svanner was so difficult for me. Was one of the first novels I read in native English but man it's trippy… I mean was really making me feel disoriented, so if that was intentional he fully achieved, but still such a hard read that I didn't really found entertaining.

I remember finding the full talk (I might even have created the playlist) but in this bit PKD suggests we live in the Matrix

"Mentes Perigosas" (translated as "Dangerous Minds"). It's about how to identify psychopaths. Now I want to read "Almost a psychopath".

The reason for reading those is that I found myself in a forum where the admin does certain things that are similar to what a psychopath would do. No, he is very very far from being one, but there was a day that somebody joked about psychopaths and he admitted that he was, in fact, compared to one in life.

Roman Lives by Plutarch. This is a compilation of biographies of interesting Roman figures. This book has been a blast to read, Plutarch focuses more on the personality, vices and virtues of the person instead of just describing historical events. It feels very personal and is a fun light read. Hard to believe it was written almost 2 thousand years, it feels very contemporary, but that could be in part thanks to the great translation. It's very interesting to discover how the Romans viewed reality too, definitely very differently than we do.

If you have never heard of Sulla look him up. What an interesting fella.

I meant to post weeks ago, but I have finally finished IT.

I bought it right away after the trailer of the new movie came out, and was my intention to read it before the movie was in cinemas -- which at 1300+ pages meant 12 ppd-- unfortunately I was disciplined for very short time and read only on my weekly commute to my gf and when on holiday so took me almost exactly 1 year 😣

I'm not sure why it is so revered, basically as the best book by King. I like the structure, jumping between present and past, but I can't say I was captivated as much as other books of King. In general I always preferred his short stories tbh, while reading I was mentally thinking of all the content that I was finding padding that detracted from suspense. It got very good when the story had progressed, but I found the ending quite underwhelming. I struggled to picture it very much and just find the reveal jarring toward what you think IT is.

One thing I can say, it brought me back to my high-school days when I read several of King's books (which convinced me to take a stab at writing myself).

Edited by blackdog

I've taken to reading over the past couple of years, and I haven't read as much, ever in my life, than I have over the past 3-4 months. I'm getting better at it, I'm better focused.

What I'm currently reading is Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou (link). It's about the startup, Theranos and all the madness that started from the power and money hungry CEO, Elizabeth Holmes and her partner, Ramesh (Sunny) Balwani. It's a scam, and it's built on hype, lies, intimidation and more. It's really something!

These are some of the other books I've read recently -
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (link) - a good read for introverts, for us to relate to, and for extroverts to introspect on

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (link) - Fictional book, a sad and funny tale about a loner with a big heart, who led a tough life and sticks to his moral code.

Stuff Matters: Exploring the Marvelous Materials That Shape Our Man-Made World by Mark Miodownik (link) - just takes a photographs  and talks about interesting objects and matter they're made of. Really simplifies and makes science fun.

Here is my Goodreads handle. Do add!

Edited by cyberjunkie