Sprony

What have you read lately?

83 posts in this topic

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/archive.aspx?tag=making%20magic&description=making%20magic

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/archive.aspx?tag=latest%20developments&description=latest%20developments

The makers of MTG write an ocean of text, providing insights on design and development of MTG cards. Lots of cool stories. I'm leaving mapping indefintely and jumping in a different form of design and creative process: card creation and storytelling.

AlexM likes this

The Pillars of the Earth revived my love for reading.
It's been 16 years ago since I've stayed in bed for days on end, enchanted by Harry Potter. Now I managed to do that again with this book. Reading sparks imagination so much more than TV. Magnificent.
the-pillars-of-the-earth-cover.jpg

Sprony likes this

This: http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Sea-The-Ronson-Mysteries/dp/1594631956

Reaaally good journalism! Jon Ronson (worked as journalist for the Independent and the Guardian) travels world wide to interview many interesting figures such as the man who made a self-portrait while being induced with one different drug for each portrait. (This guy: http://bryanlewissaunders.org/drugs/)

I can warmly recommend it for something you don't usually read!

untitled-ronson-978144722391701.jpg

Edited by Sjonsson

World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg

Amazing. WTF is wrong with Hollywood. Movie is not even the same damn thing.

I only got through half the audio book so far which is amazing love the atmosphere throughout it. Thats the thing though with movies its a lot of content to try put into a film which is fair enough things have to be missed but they will never be forgiven for that ending, total crap! They missed out some really tense moments from the book which could have been portrayed very will in the film :( ahh well..

I'm currently going through this at the moment, quite a fun read actually!

51tvpTzuwdL.jpg

Hey, someone could point me in the direction of some enjoyable classics of literature of your countries?

Germany:

Franz Kafka's works

Goethe's Faust (very old, but significant)

Friedrich Dürrenmatt's The Visit

just some that came to my mind :-)

Edited by Zezeri

63697.jpg

Currently reading The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales, by Oliver Sacks.

Books I read before this

1617.jpg

Elie Wiesel - Night

7170627.jpg

Siddhartha Mukherjee - The Emperor of All Maladies

18170143.jpg

Chris Hadfield - An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth

AlexM likes this

The Gunslinger. This will be read number 3. I couldn't get into the other books so I just keep rereading this one. I also heard it gets pretty fucking stupid anyway, so I just pretend it's a one book series so I don't have to worry about it.

The Movie Art of Syd Mead: Visual Futurist

the-movie-art-of-syd-mead.jpg

From the man that brought you Blade Runner and Aliens among other things. I'm sure people like @(HP) and sci-fi designers like @PogoP will appreciate this.

FMPONE, Beck, El Moroes and 3 others like this

Wicked. Thanks for the recommendation Sprony. I remember looking at some of his stuff for Alien Isolation (even though we weren't supposed to look at Aliens, shhhhhh!). Will give this a read.

Sprony likes this

Here's some stuff I've read/listened to recently that I enjoyed quite a bit, mostly sci-fi classics:

lKSHcsf.jpgchildhoods-end.jpg

d8c8d742e9d4045930c6adb26605e977.jpg350.jpg

4Xk4i5y.jpg51Ki76Qf64L._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg220px-Cover_image_of_The_Age_of_Spiritua

434677-philip-k-dick-the-crack-in-space-619-1.jpg

And slowly going through this monster of an audiobook (it's over 50 hours long of pure madness but it's interesting as fuck if you like Philip K Dick)

The_Exegesis_of_Philip_K_Dick.jpg

RaVaGe, [HP], AlexM and 2 others like this

Love me some Vonnegut. I don't think I've read Sirens of Titan. How is it?

My dad just gave me a copy of Timequake, I'll proabably read that next. 

Sprony likes this

On 4/13/2017 at 2:04 PM, AlexM said:

Love me some Vonnegut. I don't think I've read Sirens of Titan. How is it?

My dad just gave me a copy of Timequake, I'll proabably read that next. 

Man, Sirens of Titan is the only book that has ever made my cry. Not that it's sad or anything, just plain beautiful :) 

And here's a funny trivia: Apparently Vonnegut wrote the whole storyline in one night.

AlexM likes this