Splinter Cell: Blacklist

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist Has Gone Gold   http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/08/tom-clancys-splinter-cell-blacklist-has-gone-gold

Plane flying

Feedback here has convinced me to just buy this game.  I used to LOVE splinter cell.  After playing recent games with "stealth-lite" such as Tomb Raider and Last of Us (both of which I also loved greatly) I just need some serious stealth action gadget goodness.

Copy comes today in the mail.  Fingers crossed.

• 9 months later...

So I just got this in the past weekend deal, and Jobye wanted my thoughts after what I posted in the Thief thread, so here goes.

I'm very positively impressed by the game. Just finished the first mission (Benghazi) and outside of a few gamey quirks in the intro section (Guam), only high praise from me. It's the perfect example of what I was describing in the Thief thread, of an evolution in a seminal game mechanic. The stealth here is barely an afterthought, but that's just fine, as all the mechanics that were designed on top of the gunplay (by years of evolution, not just on Blacklist) just complement each other perfectly. Splinter Cell now is a "design your own action sequence" game, and the good news is it's the only TPS to do it.

Now if it wasn't for license fatigue, this game might even have been successful. There are enough well implemented features in there to start a new franchise, but the way it stands, these games are just not hot items anymore. That's Splinter Cell in a nutshell, the past two games should have come out 5 years before they did to have been relevant then and invigorate the genre.

So I just got this in the past weekend deal, and Jobye wanted my thoughts after what I posted in the Thief thread, so here goes.

I'm very positively impressed by the game. Just finished the first mission (Benghazi) and outside of a few gamey quirks in the intro section (Guam), only high praise from me. It's the perfect example of what I was describing in the Thief thread, of an evolution in a seminal game mechanic. The stealth here is barely an afterthought, but that's just fine, as all the mechanics that were designed on top of the gunplay (by years of evolution, not just on Blacklist) just complement each other perfectly. Splinter Cell now is a "design your own action sequence" game, and the good news is it's the only TPS to do it.

Now if it wasn't for license fatigue, this game might even have been successful. There are enough well implemented features in there to start a new franchise, but the way it stands, these games are just not hot items anymore. That's Splinter Cell in a nutshell, the past two games should have come out 5 years before they did to have been relevant then and invigorate the genre.

Proof's in the pudding: a lot of the TPS mechanics (cover/shooting/takedowns) made their way into Watch Dogs given that they had Conviction's lead programmer (much better cover system, albeit weaker takedown system compared to Blacklist).

Appreciate the feedback :)! And yup, totally agreed on all your points. Benghazi was Nick and I's mission :D.

Got this a while back and just saw it's on Steam sale. Sadface.

Been playing on PC, awesome pad support... spent a couple of hours on just the Grim missions before even doing any of the SP ones!! Addicted to completing Border Crossing super-Ghosting without disturbing any of the guards (bonus)... super cool (and found the dead-drop, and hacked the extra laptop, and got the VIP guy), I even like the random spawns/patrols/chat-idles the enemies do! Can't wait to play more SP.