Sign in to follow this  
Furyo

Furyo's Photos

Thought I'd drop my flickr page here as well for feedback

http://www.flickr.com/photos/francoisroughol

I started getting back in photography about 18 months ago, after a very long hiatus since high school. I started shooting with my father's 350D and stock 18-55 and 70-200. Now that I am in Boston, I got my own rebel t2i (550D) with three lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L II USM; 50 prime EF f1.8 and 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM. Looking to upgrade to a full sensor (Mark II) some time in the future.

All feedback appreciated.

i saw some real gems in your collection but the quality of your photo's seems a bit unbalanced to me sometimes. I think that might be caused by a little incoherent colormanagent (i would try to make some distinction in styles - think about what you wan't to photograph, with what goal and then decide what post process -if needed- needs to be subtlely applied) I really like some of the quite daring lines and compositions in your photo's, like this one, or this one., although some photo's are a little sloppy. Like this (non symmetric and for my personal likings too saturated).

the last thing i'd like to add is that i really like the depths and lighting in some of your shots!

one question tho, why no portraits? some of your photo's would've been awesome with people in them :)

it takes a long time shooting to find your own style, I would say to try and make sure your photos have a focal point that people can understand, much like game design. if you design something its obvious to you, but others will be confused and quickly move on to the next photo. When I first started shooting I thought abstract was awesome, but that's because I didn't understand and took the easy option.

I can defo see that your photos are getting better and better, with more interesting lighting and composition. My take on all this is to upload the very special photos and keep the rest for your own pleasure. If your all about sharing your photos with others, it's much better to share less but make them interesting (looks like your doing this now)

If your shooting wide, by far the hardest focal length to work with IMO, really try to emphasizes scale and make it really dramatic. The common misunderstanding is wide lens are about getting more in - this is part true but good wide angle photos are all about the sense of scale - get close, very close. It goes without saying but like all good scene art, try to make sure you have a foreground, mid and background. I try to take the guessing out of photos and having these 3 elements in your photo will make the scale even more impressive.

Finally on the subject of wide, don't forget that when shooting wider than 35mm perspective distortion will really change your photos, often or not it can't be fixed in software either - buildings will literally be wonky if shot towards the outer parts of the frame, This photo I took here really made me realize I had to change my framing when shooting wide, to prevent that "leaning in" look on the right side.

8132027359_27a55002e6_c.jpg

If I was to shoot this again, I would shoot at 24mm not 17mm, and align the building on the middle right to the center of the frame. If I _really_ wanted more in the shot, I would set up a panorama to prevent any distortion. A general rule of thumb is perspective distortion works well if your photo is symmetrical and both sides are leaning in towards the center with strong lines, if not it's probably better to rethink the shot.

Also, buy a point and shoot and keep it on you all the time - as they say, the best camera is the one you have on you - this is the best thing I ever did and it's helped me endlessly.

Edited by 2d-chris

i saw some real gems in your collection but the quality of your photo's seems a bit unbalanced to me sometimes. I think that might be caused by a little incoherent colormanagent (i would try to make some distinction in styles - think about what you wan't to photograph, with what goal and then decide what post process -if needed- needs to be subtlely applied) I really like some of the quite daring lines and compositions in your photo's, like this one, or this one., although some photo's are a little sloppy. Like this (non symmetric and for my personal likings too saturated).

the last thing i'd like to add is that i really like the depths and lighting in some of your shots!

one question tho, why no portraits? some of your photo's would've been awesome with people in them :)

I find myself being a LOT more drastic these days with my shots, usually keeping about 1-5% of all shots I take. It wasn't always the case, and for what it's worth, I find myself wanting to delete pictures that others enjoy, To be very blunt, I have never shot a picture that I was 100% happy about. It's always either the composition or the lighting that I like, never both :) I keep the shots also as a reference of what to work on in the future. Hopefully I get better now that I have some free time to invest in photography as opposed to just pointing and shooting. 2012 was a crunch year :)

No portrait for two reasons: My photography is usually a loner experience, and in the few instances where I was with family (over Christmas for instance), I don't usually post shots of people online so they don't end up there if they don't want to. It's also the hardest photography, and I've deleted more shots than in my other work.

it takes a long time shooting to find your own style, I would say to try and make sure your photos have a focal point that people can understand, much like game design. if you design something its obvious to you, but others will be confused and quickly move on to the next photo. When I first started shooting I thought abstract was awesome, but that's because I didn't understand and took the easy option.

Also, buy a point and shoot and keep it on you all the time - as they say, the best camera is the one you have on you - this is the best thing I ever did and it's helped me endlessly.

I have never (yet) thought about photography with this mindset, as I want to shoot for myself. I understand the approach you have, much more artistic and communicative, and I think at one point I'll get to that. For the time being, it's always been about my eyes wandering and seeing something. I can't even really explain it, I just take the shots the way my eyes saw them, never overthinking what others viewpoint might be. Very selfish.

I do have a point and shoot, a Panasonic Lumix TZ5 since 2009. I haven't used it in a long while. I'm rarely in a place where I want to take pictures, as work commute every day takes me out of Boston into Quincy. Nothing worth taking there, so I end up never having a camera on me. I usually plan my outings, like the recent Boston Nights pictures

Yeah the temptation to delete all your shots because you don't think you took a good enough photo is a problem I'm trying to overcome too. Often I'll immediately wipe out a photo that captures a really cute moment my family would love to keep because I screwed up the focus or something. :oops:

I've found that using Lightroom to organise everything helps. You can flag photos as 'keepers', so I tend to use that feature to mark the few I'm truly happy with, leave the rest unflagged, and outright remove (but keep on my HD) the ones that are really unremarkable. That way I have my prime photos for putting on Flickr or something, and an extended collection for friends/family to go through on my computer or on Facebook if they wish.

Oh yes, the shots you see are (mostly) all the ones I have worked on in Lightroom. That's the other part I want to work on, particularly how to overcome the issue of screen calibration as I'm getting different results on different screens.

oh man, on the topic of posting to many shots, just seen this haha, http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-woman-finally-uploads-all-12-million-pictures,30443/

if your looking for crits, you won't get much if you post 25 shots of a vacation, however, if you post a few you really think are good, crits will come you way. All depends how serious you want to take it.

Oh yes, the shots you see are (mostly) all the ones I have worked on in Lightroom. That's the other part I want to work on, particularly how to overcome the issue of screen calibration as I'm getting different results on different screens.

yeah this is actually very important, I'm buying a nice reference monitor soon as I'm noticing all sorts of weird colors and exposures around. Although 99.9% of monitors don't actually show the full srgb gamut it does help to have the original source accurate or at least close to what you want. It's criminal to have L lens and full frame camera and not see colors as the camera captured them :)

Not much of an update at all, but I finally got around to picking up my tripod (all previous shots were done holding the camera...to some devastating motion blur). Picked up the Oben AC-1410 4-Section Aluminum Tripod with BA-0 Ball Head from BH, as an all around great entry level tripod for travellers.

Set up on my balcony to test it tonight with my 16-35:

8426366896_c1a628c504_b.jpg