So about the Features… (Site discussion)

Beefeater

MapCore Features  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you like MapCore Features?

• Great stuff
    • Love them
    • Have my babies
    • Give me MOAR!

Some background: I was first introduced to this site via Pericolos' procedural FPS thread. I was drawn in by this friendly little community, but stayed lurking for a long time. With the launch of the new site, though, I felt it was a good time to get involved :)

As a relatively new member, I can definitely say the redesign of the site was a “selling point” for me, the “Features” section and community features in particular. Spronyvan and Thrik have succeeded in bringing us some really informative and insightful content so far.

With that in mind, I’m a little disappointed that there haven't been any new articles in months. The “Features” section of this site has a lot of potential, but I fear it may not be getting enough attention at the moment.

I was looking into contributing articles myself, but to my surprise I couldn’t find any function within the site to submit user content. This is a bit of a bummer; why isn’t this integrated into the site already? I know, Thrik can probably help me via PM to get things published. I just found it weird this isn’t integrated.

So anyway, anyone else want more Features? Discuss!

(Oh, and the Wolfenstein article’s comment section is filled with spam. Comments miss a Report button…)

Edited by Beefeater

Great to hear you enjoyed the features. :-D

The roll-out last year was a little slow as the main priority was really on getting the forums converted to the new software; It was kind of a 'soft launch' in that things would ramp up as they're stabilised rather than operate at 100% from day one. I've actually still been spending a lot of my free time over the Christmas period sorting out continuing issues related to that in addition to the whole family/friends thing — so not much time to devote to organising writers and interviews.

What I can say is that two features are currently in the pipeline: an interview which I hope will be ready within a week, and a splendid technical article is on its way too. For the new year my 'MapCore resolution' was to get some momentum behind the features, so I've been working on getting some organised for the next few weeks and hopefully we can keep that going!

I did say in the 'new forums' announcements that anyone interested in contributing as a writer should get in touch with me, whether it's a one-off or regular gig. And that invite is still there! So if anyone wants to help out with this and provide content for everyone to enjoy — articles, tutorials, technical reviews, all welcome — send me a PM. If you did before and I haven't followed it up I apologise, I have more time for it now though.

I do acknowledge something needs implementing to make it more clear user content is totally welcomed and easy to submit so I'll work on that ASAP. :)

BTW thanks for pointing out the spam, I hadn't noticed that. Clearly need to bolster the guest posting anti-spam there.

Small update, I've figured out a good way of allowing people to get involved with this a lot more easily — you'll be able to submit articles right via the forums. Will get this rolled out with a proper explanatory guide this weekend. :-D This'll make it a lot easier for me to recruit people to write too as it'll be so much simpler.

Beefeater: Thank you! At least someone enjoyed it :)

What we've noticed so far is that the community didn't really respond to the articles. That could be the lack of quality in my work or perhaps the content just simply doesn't interest this community very much.

That's why I stopped writing. However, Thrik, you still have one of my articles laying on the shelf (The COD Effect). If there is renewed interest then I'm more then willing to continue writing.

Glad to hear you’re still working on the features, Thrik! ;) Looking forward to the upcoming content!

Small update, I've figured out a good way of allowing people to get involved with this a lot more easily — you'll be able to submit articles right via the forums. Will get this rolled out with a proper explanatory guide this weekend. :-D This'll make it a lot easier for me to recruit people to write too as it'll be so much simpler.

This is just what I had in mind. Are you basing it on the PM page? Seems like a good base, it’s got drafts and everything.

What we've noticed so far is that the community didn't really respond to the articles. That could be the lack of quality in my work or perhaps the content just simply doesn't interest this community very much.

That's why I stopped writing. However, Thrik, you still have one of my articles laying on the shelf (The COD Effect). If there is renewed interest then I'm more then willing to continue writing.

A lack of quality never really crossed my mind when I read your articles. If you’re an amateur then I’m honestly impressed.

Edited by Beefeater

I think what you're experiencing is not unusual. Front page articles of a forum aren't going to be the huge draw that the forum is, but that doesn't mean there isn't interest. It's just a more narrow interest than the forum itself. It's still worthwhile, IMO

Good to hear the encouragement guys, always nice to know they were enjoyed!

I had something come up at the weekend which involved carrying a gigantic washing machine around, so I've put aside tonight and/or tomorrow night to get this feature stuff done. :)

Beefeater, the system I have in mind is based on the forum editor but that, the PM editor, and the actual feature editor are all identical — the content just shows up a bit differently afterwards (example: attachments aligned to right). So you can more or less craft a whole formatted article if you want, alternatively just do it as text and I can format. :)

Anyway it should make things easier as there'll be a clear invitation and process to contribute, and hopefully the resuming flow of articles will make people want to get involved. I'll also dig out the held article mentioned above to go with the upcoming ones.

A lack of quality never really crossed my mind when I read your articles. If you’re an amateur then I’m honestly impressed.

Yes, I'm an amateur. Not only that, I'm also Dutch. So thank you for that huge compliment :)

I think what you're experiencing is not unusual. Front page articles of a forum aren't going to be the huge draw that the forum is, but that doesn't mean there isn't interest. It's just a more narrow interest than the forum itself. It's still worthwhile, IMO

You are absolutely right about that. We also didn't expect a huge draw. It was more based on how many clicks it got and how they were rated (average). I'm also glad you feel that way.

Anyway it should make things easier as there'll be a clear invitation and process to contribute, and hopefully the resuming flow of articles will make people want to get involved. I'll also dig out the held article mentioned above to go with the upcoming ones.

Can't wait Thrik!

I thought it was strange how the features just stopped for no reason. I think the article idea has a lot of potential because there is so many industry people here and it would be interesting to read stuff from their point of view. I certainly would like to see more interviews of people who post here and would love to hear about their thought process for creating content. I also have a couple of articles I would like to summit and have PM'd Thrik with the details.