6 hours ago, Beck said:

I feel sorry for the devs. They've been crunching for god knows how long. Probably screaming at management saying the game isn't ready for release and then they go ahead and release it anyway causing a bit of a shit storm with tons of bad press and angry fans. No doubt they'll be asked to crunch/work over the Christmas period to get hotfixes and patches out when upper management knew what state the game was in.

I know it's a big game with tons of stuff going on and bugs are inevitable in a game of this scale. But they must have known how bad it was on the current generation of consoles and still decided to release it anyway. I'm sure they'll fix most of the issues eventually and I am still looking forward to playing it myself but I just feel bad for the devs.

And no doubt those higher ups that chose to release the game got a big bonus for hitting the December date/big profit shares. While those real devs in the trenches get to crunch more over Christmas to try and fix managements colossal fuck up.

Shocking ineptitude from management. Those accountable should pack their bags.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/12/18/even-cyberpunk-2077s-developers-are-confronting-management-about-its-launch/

“One employee asked the board why it had said in January that the game was ‘complete and playable‘ when that wasn’t true, to which the board answered that it would take responsibility,” Bloomberg reports. Management’s apparent misrepresentation of the state of Cyberpunk 2077 during the announcement of its first delay was only the beginning of a long year for employees.

“Another developer asked whether CD Projekt’s directors felt it was hypocritical to make a game about corporate exploitation while expecting that their employees work overtime. The response was vague and noncommital,” according to Bloomberg.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG gys, Im sorry for not being here for you Some one asked how we are doing? well not bad  srsly, kinda still a lot of work, tho @Minos for taging me so I could jump in here Im super happy y

Sorry, I'm not here very often Just came back from Africa and my time off, after E3 madness Super Happy you guys are liking what you see. It was a super buys time, but I'm glad it turned out

Posted Images

17 hours ago, ┌HP┘ said:

Heh, ikr. 

Back in 2007/2008 I was working on a PS3 title, we had a third party studio doing Q&A for us, after the studio said the game is good to to, we sent it to Sony, it didn't pass certification, then we tried again for a second time, it didn't pass either and to send the game again you needed to pay a substantial fee, this nearly caused the studio to shut down, since it only got approved the forth time we sent it.

Point is... their certification department is historically known for being very strict and with very high standards, specifically to prevent shit like this, so I don't know wtf happened here.

I've experienced the opposite during the late ps3/ps4 era. TBH I've been on both the super strict end and the super lax ends of the stick. Obviously I can't elaborate but lets say the approval process really depends on the publisher/dev/game that's being reviewed.

Edited by AlexM
Just now, FMPONE said:

Game presumably still made a gazillion dollars, therefore nothing will fundamentally change within or without of CDPR. The well-being of the people working on it was never a consideration to begin with. 

Yeah probably :|

FWIW their stock is taking a hit... a minor hit that will probably recover though.

1 hour ago, AlexM said:

Yeah probably :|

FWIW their stock is taking a hit... a minor hit that will probably recover though.

Ultimately there aren't many studios that can do what CDPR just did, that even have that kind of upside. The bad press will hurt them for a minute, but they largely succeeded in doing what they set out to do. The big money simply has few other places else to go. I would be surprised if this rocky launch defined the game beyond launch, there's got to be a pretty decent window of time for them to get stuff fixed and negate the impact.

3 hours ago, FMPONE said:

Ultimately there aren't many studios that can do what CDPR just did, that even have that kind of upside. The bad press will hurt them for a minute, but they largely succeeded in doing what they set out to do. The big money simply has few other places else to go. I would be surprised if this rocky launch defined the game beyond launch, there's got to be a pretty decent window of time for them to get stuff fixed and negate the impact.

Having worked on a few of these types of projects in the past, I'm inclined to agree unfortunately..

On 12/18/2020 at 1:36 AM, blackdog said:

We’ll never know for sure, but you put together the most awaited game of the decade, a game that shines on new hardware, millions of preorders… maybe it really went like in the article I linked above, despite how impossible it seems

Yeah I'm still scratching my head on the double certification fails on last gen between Sony and Microsoft. I'm sure there is much more going on behind the scenes than we'll know in the near term.  Somewhat related, and fwiw IGN's poll as of today:

image.png

https://www.ign.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-for-xbox-one-and-playstation-4-review

One of my work colleagues got a few boxed copies...was kind enough to send to me for Xbox One so I guess I'll just wait it out as my 2019 Surface Book 3 is probably not quite up to it.  <sigh>

"CD Projekt may face class-action lawsuits over Cyberpunk 2077. 

...New York Times mentions that, "Lawyers and investors in Warsaw are circling the situation, contemplating a class-action lawsuit against the company". That's in reference to a post by Mikołaj Orzechowski, a partner in the Polish firm Mikołaj Orzechowski who is apparently also an investor in CDPR, who writes (according to Google Translate), "we are currently analyzing, together with the law firm's team, the grounds for bringing a class action together with the notification of the possibility of committing a crime under Art. 286 of the Penal Code. - misrepresentation in order to obtain financial benefits".

Meanwhile, a press release from New York firm Wolf Haldenstein Adler Freeman & Herz LLP has announced that it too is "investigating a potential securities class action lawsuit against CD Projekt SA" and calls for investors who have incurred losses to make contact."

https://www.pcgamer.com/cd-projekt-may-face-class-action-lawsuits-over-cyberpunk-2077

Edited by Radu
On 12/18/2020 at 6:56 PM, blackdog said:

How does this crunch work anyway? I mean this is one of the things that scares me if I ever got into the industry… I know from reading around there’s lots of peer pressure and so on, but there are also lots of mothers and fathers, it’s not the Wild West of 1990 id Software… so if there’s no contractual obligation, how does it not happen that people walk out for this essential/basic life balance reasons? (but they do walk out for stuff like the Blitzchung episode).

I heard enough moaning from my partner for a few hours of overtime, can’t imagine if I was at work on weekends for months at a time, when she gets one we off every other week.

I've never really had to do any really hard, long term crunch in my time in the industry so I guess I've been lucky. The worst I've had was where I went to work from 7am-11pm for a week. It was at the end of my very first project in the industry so I was super keen to prove myself I guess. I had to get a complete whitebox done in that week otherwise the DLC level would have been cut (and I assumed my job?).

But mostly, others will crunch and you'll feel bad that they are and you aren't. Or there may be bugs in your department and others will be blocked from progressing until it's fixed so you feel pressured into getting it sorted. A lot of people do genuinely just care about the project and want to push that bit harder to get it through the door, or there may be bonus incentives to help motivate people, but I've never been anywhere that really offered that.

At CDPR they can earn tokens for extras on top of their bonuses...

Bloomberg has also uncovered more details of how CD Projekt's bonus system works, describing a process whereby team leaders would give tokens to the staff members they believe deserved additional rewards.

Had the game met its release date and a certain review scores, token holders would have received performance bonuses on top of the established annual profit-sharing payouts.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-12-14-cyberpunk-2077-developers-promised-full-bonuses-despite-declining-review-scores