Evert

Cyberpunk 2077

For those that are playing probably not news, although haven’t seen anyone commenting on it. Interesting point on the traffic/pedestrian (non-existing) AI in this Twitter thread. Maybe a bit too heavy handed on judging the reviewers though.

PS: forgot to say that further down comments seem to suggest this optimisation is dynamic and depending on the machine (read on PC is not as aggressive)

Edited by blackdog

One thing that may be going on is that people are used to Rockstar quality, and expected that here, from a company that just doesn’t have that kind of experience making AAA blockbuster open world games. I know The Witcher was well received, but this is a game that is receiving GTA levels of scrutiny and obviously can’t quite match those production quality levels. You can’t fake this kind of thing, GTA games set the bar really high as far as open world experiences. 

9 hours ago, FMPONE said:

One thing that may be going on is that people are used to Rockstar quality, and expected that here, from a company that just doesn’t have that kind of experience making AAA blockbuster open world games. I know The Witcher was well received, but this is a game that is receiving GTA levels of scrutiny and obviously can’t quite match those production quality levels. You can’t fake this kind of thing, GTA games set the bar really high as far as open world experiences. 

Perhaps it’s partly because of this:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-04-27-cd-projekt-games-will-follow-the-rockstar-model

1 hour ago, Pampers said:

imagine if Sony had like a certification program that all potential games releasing on their platform had to go through before releasing, to prevent situations like this:celebrate:

Heh, ikr. 

Back in 2007/2008 I was working on a PS3 title, we had a third party studio doing Q&A for us, after the studio said the game is good to to, we sent it to Sony, it didn't pass certification, then we tried again for a second time, it didn't pass either and to send the game again you needed to pay a substantial fee, this nearly caused the studio to shut down, since it only got approved the forth time we sent it.

Point is... their certification department is historically known for being very strict and with very high standards, specifically to prevent shit like this, so I don't know wtf happened here.

3 hours ago, ┌HP┘ said:

Point is... their certification department is historically known for being very strict and with very high standards, specifically to prevent shit like this, so I don't know wtf happened here.

We’ll never know for sure, but you put together the most awaited game of the decade, a game that shines on new hardware, millions of preorders… maybe it really went like in the article I linked above, despite how impossible it seems

On 12/17/2020 at 9:43 AM, Buddy said:

But that is mostly about just having one or two projects going at a time?

Mostly yes, but they were also heavily implying that they got the resources and will to build a bigger and more ambitious game than before and had Rockstar games as main inspiration.

"We have a lot of credit, so we should take the time to make Cyberpunk something really meaningful for the whole industry"

They sure did, but not probably how they meant to. :D

I have a lot of faith still in CDPR to make it right in the end, but it was disappointing to see them pull this kind of trick with clear intent.

Edited by Zarsky

I feel sorry for the devs. They've been crunching for god knows how long. Probably screaming at management saying the game isn't ready for release and then they go ahead and release it anyway causing a bit of a shit storm with tons of bad press and angry fans. No doubt they'll be asked to crunch/work over the Christmas period to get hotfixes and patches out when upper management knew what state the game was in.

I know it's a big game with tons of stuff going on and bugs are inevitable in a game of this scale. But they must have known how bad it was on the current generation of consoles and still decided to release it anyway. I'm sure they'll fix most of the issues eventually and I am still looking forward to playing it myself but I just feel bad for the devs.

3 hours ago, Beck said:

No doubt they'll be asked to crunch/work over the Christmas period to get hotfixes and patches out when upper management knew what state the game was in.

How does this crunch work anyway? I mean this is one of the things that scares me if I ever got into the industry… I know from reading around there’s lots of peer pressure and so on, but there are also lots of mothers and fathers, it’s not the Wild West of 1990 id Software… so if there’s no contractual obligation, how does it not happen that people walk out for this essential/basic life balance reasons? (but they do walk out for stuff like the Blitzchung episode).

I heard enough moaning from my partner for a few hours of overtime, can’t imagine if I was at work on weekends for months at a time, when she gets one we off every other week.