Izuno

THQ files for bankruptcy

Looks like their assets will be auctioned off seperately (studios, games, licenses). I hope it all goes well!

Wouldn't in this way to be possible for a studio to buy-back its own property? Probably too costy but i mean, the possibility would be there.

yep, we're going to try to buy back the license. not for much though. lol. i'll put $5 on it. :lol:

The only studio I care about (no offence Kedhrin) is Relic and THQ's predicament troubles me a lot. I'll doubt it would have an impact on Company of Heroes 2 (luckily) but what about Dawn of War 3 and the Warhammer 40K license? Please don't let this fall into the hands of EA.

Because let's be honest. They certainly tried to change, but you can still count the studios they haven't ruined on one hand. Dice is the only one that seems to thrive under EA. Even the mighty Bioware is crumbling (if you believe the stories).

I always liked THQ as a publisher. I thought they were original. Bringing us games that weren't necessarily mainstream. Even though I don't care for most of them, that doesn't mean I didn't appreciate what they brought to the table as a publisher. I'll miss them.

We aren't owned by THQ and they don't own anything of ours, they just have rights to a license for a period of time... they didn't pay for development either, we did, so no offense taken :P

Really? This publishing business is so fucking dodgy and weird man.

Yeah it's different across the board... we prefer to raise our own money though, that way we keep our IPs and can do whatever we want without anyone telling us what to do (to a point). Publishers love those kinds of deals :) but you also lead yourself to getting fucked too. if they aren't heavily invested and don't own something big (like the IP), they usually don't really try that hard on the project. But its the way the publishing industry is going. Publishers prefer to have internal studios and external studios fund their projects themselves.

THQ helped us with marketing, localization, distribution, ratings and most importantly.. seats on consoles (including Steam). Machinima was our other marketing partner. But everything else was all up to us... other than the shitty xbox release forced out because of House Party and the shitty PC release because of the pending Diablo 3 release marketing thought would "shut down press for months"... meh.

I'm curious to see what's going to happen if Ubisoft acquires all of THQ's assets (including the license to Homefront): is Crytek going to drop the project or Ubisoft give it to a different studio OR will they work together again after all this time? Find out on the next episode of "Videogames: Serious Business".

Since the auction will continue within 2 hours, here are the latest rumors:

http://www.eurogamer...park-to-ubisoft

To summarize: Sega wants to Relic, Ubisoft wants South Park, Koch Media wants Volition and EA wants the WWE license. Strangely enough, no word about Virgil.

Edited by SpronyvanJohnson

Apparently, Vigil is dead. Everyone else got picked up. Ubi picked South Park and THQ Montreal (ironic for Patrice). Take Two picks up the new project from Turtle Rock.

Koch Media also bought Metro. Take Two bought Evolve. Still no word about Vigil. two great games, a promising franchise and no interest. Seriously?

http://kotaku.com/5978429/this-is-the-letter-that-thq-sent-to-employees-today

Pourin a 40 on the ground for all my homies who still work(ed) in the THQ network. Next time I drive by the office on the freeway I'm curious if the sign will still be there.

At least some of the brands have a chance to live on.