Sign in to follow this  
PogoP

Layoffs at Frontier Developments (UK) and Machinima

So I just heard from my old Frontier buddies that 15 people have been laid off today in the Cambridge studio where I used to work. Mainly graduate environment artists, and a few animators/audio guys... Can't find any news about it online but it definitely happened today.

I also heard that a few people got laid off at Machinima (http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/14/machinima-layoffs/).

It's kinda crazy that this happened, because Frontier just opened a new studio in Canada, and they have that Kickstarter going to get 1.25m for Elite.

I've (probably quite selfishly) never really paid too much attention to layoffs/redundancies before, as I've never known anybody affected by them. It's obviously an awful thing to happen, but I just never felt the effects of it. This, however, really hit home. I was at this company 5 months ago, that could have been me! I really hope they all land on their feet.

So errr yeah don't really know why I'm posting this, but I know there are a few ex-Fronter people on here like myself.

Yeah Frontier does this as it is the legal maximum they can let go without having to provide work related reviews. Basically they don't want people to reach 2 years in the company as they then have to pay much more to make you redundant. Its pretty bullshit. This is the 4th or 5th time they have done this in 2 years.

Yeah Frontier does this as it is the legal maximum they can let go without having to provide work related reviews. Basically they don't want people to reach 2 years in the company as they then have to pay much more to make you redundant. Its pretty bullshit. This is the 4th or 5th time they have done this in 2 years.

I didn't know about that... I really enjoyed working there when we had work to do, even if it was just Kinect Disneyland... But the lack of projects for 4/5 months was what drove me to leaving. Best thing I ever did though :/

wow that's kind of shady, considering all the good press they are getting over the Elite remake etc.

Frontier have been around for like 20 years. So don't think that's an accurate measure of anything.

theyve produced top notch games during these 20 years xD

haha no im joking, what a frontiers developments+ lmao

Frontier have been around for like 20 years. So don't think that's an accurate measure of anything.

theyve produced top notch games during these 20 years xD

haha no im joking, what a frontiers developments+ lmao

Games developed

hah tomorrow this will be embassrrassing but today its funny haha lmao anyways too bad 2 the peeps being releaseed into the indie marketp氓lace but im sure they wil find reluctalrnt emplyment inin indie dfevelopment to futher the marketplace in 3d realmsd lmao