What Books inspired you?

General Vivi

Typical nerd response, the hobbit, lord of the rings and warhammer 40k books inspire me a lot (gaunts ghosts, eisenhorn, ravenor, horus rising). I read a lot but these are the places I got the most inspiration from with just words.

Edited by dux

Regarding game design, "Theory of Fun for Game Design" was the most mind changing book I've read, it really made me look at games in a different way.

Besides that I'm a big fan of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. There are 7 Books in the series, the first 5 ("The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe", "Life, the Universe and Everything", "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish" and "Mostly Harmless") are the originals made by Douglas Adams, the 6th ("And another Thing...") was made Eoin Colfer after Adams death, and the 7th ("The Salmon of Doubt") has some of Adams unpublished material and an unfinished novel that is part of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy universe.

Edited by barrakid

God Is Not Great, God Delusion, A Universe From Nothing, Bad Science and Bad Pharma have made me a right bore to be around. His Dark Materials, Lord of the Rings, Discworld, Hitchhikers, The Culture, etc. are the most likely to have been influential on my supposed work. I have tried to read a few design related books but there is nothing I would recommend.

Edited by Taylor

4CD6n.jpg

I love this book.

Interesting classics :) (with french stuff :( )

the-prince-west-side.jpg

+1 on this. I enjoy how candid Machiavelli is with the use of power.

Regarding game design, "Theory of Fun for Game Design" was the most mind changing book I've read, it really made me look at games in a different way.

I really enjoyed this, and I find this the best book I've read on game design from a theoretical perspective.

1984first1.jpg

tractatus-logico-philosophicus-ludwig-wittgenstein-paperback-cover-art.jpg

I'm trying to read this at the moment, but it's one of those pieces that makes me feel retarded.