"ProBuilder 2.0" Beta tracker (BSP-style editor for Unity)

Hi Mapcore folks! I'd like to use this post-space to track progress of the "ProBuilder 2.0" tool, which is currently in "beta" and moving along quickly to a final release!

(ProBuilder is a tool built for BSP-Style editing, very similar to Hammer, in Unity 3D. It's lots of fun, fast, and super useful- check out the full post )

At this time, the ProBuilder 2.0 beta is at "Milestone #2", which added a ton of new features, check those out below:

Latest Video (updated as Milestones are completed)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpwI3hx8cTg

Milestone #1: Catch up to Probuilder 1.x

Due Date: Nov 10th

Video:

Milestone #2: 65% of all ProBuilder 2.0 New Features Implemented

Due Date: Nov 28th

Video:

Milestone #3: 100% of all ProBuilder 2.0 New Features Implemented

Due Date: Dec 5th

Milestone #4: All Testing Complete, "Release Candidate" sent to users

Due Date: Dec 12th

Milestone #5: RC Pass Testing, GUI Done- Relase Final Version of ProBuilder 2.0!

Due Date: Dec 15th

If you like the tool, I'd really appreciate help promoting it via the official facebook page here:

www.facebook.com/probuilder3d

Thanks everyone, looking forward to feedback and comments as this moves along!

This is getting more awesome every day.

I noticed you had two buttons for "Show NoDraw" and "Hide NoDraw". Would probably make sense to turn this into a toggle button?

When you move the offset around in the texture tool by using the scene editor handle, can you also hold down control to make it use the grid? So that the numbers dont get all distorted with 1.0000049324824 instead of 1?

The CPBO button is hard to decipher and it looks like all it does is create a parent? Instead of introducing new terms like Compound, why not just call it what it does?

You also jumble up the term Edit Mode and Edit Level quite a bit. I think what you are saying is more correct than what is stated in the ProBuilder. Meaning that when you say "Vertext Mode" or "Geometry Mode", this makes more sense than the editor window saying "Editing Level". It should probably be changed to "Selection Mode" instead. I would also try to mimic the Selection Mode buttons in unity so that the user understands them quicker.

edit;

It would also be sweet to see the remaining feature list, because as warby mentioned previously the clipping (cut) feature is sorely missing. (I used that all the time in VHE). Not to be confused with the carve tool which is a big nono. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Hammer_Clipping_Tool

Also I was wondering if this tool does any automatic batching with the textures like automatically putting smaller textures that are used on a object together in a big 2048x2048 texture or something for faster load times and lesser draw calls?

Edited by Skjalg

Nice, it's like 3DSMax + BSP! :) What games it support?

The beta stage is not a secret, right? Can I post info about the editor on Level-Design.org?

Thanks seir- it is a bit of a mix, yes! Not sure what you mean by games- it should work just fine on all platforms though (iOS, Android, PC, Web, etc).

Not secret at all, I would love to have the tool featured on your site- thank you very much!

This is getting more awesome every day.

That's the idea!

I noticed you had two buttons for "Show NoDraw" and "Hide NoDraw". Would probably make sense to turn this into a toggle button?

You bet, the enter GUI you see right now, is all going to be flushed and rebuilt in the final stages. Just making things obvious, simple, and functional for now.

When you move the offset around in the texture tool by using the scene editor handle, can you also hold down control to make it use the grid? So that the numbers dont get all distorted with 1.0000049324824 instead of 1?

Hmm, this could be handy indeed, and I don't see why not...

The CPBO button is hard to decipher and it looks like all it does is create a parent? Instead of introducing new terms like Compound, why not just call it what it does?

CPBOs are planned to have some extra functionality in the future, the parenting is just the base. Might just get rid of them though, as the "merge" and prefabing makes them semi redundant.

You also jumble up the term Edit Mode and Edit Level quite a bit. I think what you are saying is more correct than what is stated in the ProBuilder. Meaning that when you say "Vertext Mode" or "Geometry Mode", this makes more sense than the editor window saying "Editing Level". It should probably be changed to "Selection Mode" instead. I would also try to mimic the Selection Mode buttons in unity so that the user understands them quicker.

Very true, sorry for the confusion there- not the best public speaker ;) "Selection Mode" also sounds much better than "Top Level Mode", ha, thanks. Also on the buttons, that GUI really is just cobbled together for now, I promise it will get much better! I firmly believe a good GUI is key to a good tool, and will make sure the 2.0 GUI is a great one.

edit;

It would also be sweet to see the remaining feature list, because as warby mentioned previously the clipping (cut) feature is sorely missing. (I used that all the time in VHE). Not to be confused with the carve tool which is a big nono. https://developer.va...r_Clipping_Tool

Feature list you say? Ask, and receive! https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1HIPGNzIdsPmUQxtlKqjEApu9WpwMI0QoydyEUl9qbO0

That list isn't 100% accurate, but gives a very good idea of the plan ahead. As for clipping, I'd love to but it will definitely be a "2.1" thing- just one guy doing the code dev on this, and myself planning/directing, currently.

Also I was wondering if this tool does any automatic batching with the textures like automatically putting smaller textures that are used on a object together in a big 2048x2048 texture or something for faster load times and lesser draw calls?

Automatic batching, per Unity's built in system, does work just fine. That is, if you have 300 PBOs, with 5 materials, and no point lights/other fancy things, you'll get 5 drawcalls. I've tested this quite a bit, just to be sure. But no, there isn't a texture atlasing setup- it would ruin the beautiful tiling ability!

Not sure what you mean by games- it should work just fine on all platforms though (iOS, Android, PC, Web, etc).

The "BSP-style" forced me to think that it supports HL or Quake engine ;) OK, now I get it ;)

It probably would be possible to write an import/export routine to VHE, but I dont see the point.

Heh, that would be a bit silly, indeed.

This stuff is really exciting and I'm considering using this heavily for whatever next unity project I'm going to do =)

Awesome, I'd love to see what you create!