You guys are still thinking about this the old way ie build it, ship it retail, put a 60 dollars price tag on it. This is Activision entering the games as a service era. Away from the CoD every year at 60 dollars and into the continuous life of a single large gaming platform. Essentially taking what they do best (shooters) with what Blizzard does best (online gaming and services).

CoD has a yearly 200 million+ dollar budget (production + marketing). If they want to replace that franchise (and honestly, they've every reason to fear that franchise dying over the next few years), why not spend 500 million on a single game that's going to last them 5 times as long as any CoD?

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Considering they made Halo I don't have much confidence in this having decent gameplay.

this game is not my destiny 

Dude it's my tragic carpentry accident, i just have 2 fingers left on each hand. Makes it hard to rocket jump with a gamepad. Otherwise damn yeah i would have enjoyed it. Still looking super nice thou

Hirshberg said that there will be "no subscription". He didn't say there will be no microtransactions and no DLC ;)

EDIT: 

Bungie's CM said this on the topic:

"We’ve not announced anything on the microtransaction front but our goal is to absolutely make sure that when we deliver a game for $60 that’s a great experience no matter what type of player you are," he said. "So we’re not looking at any pay-for-power type stuff. That’s what I hear as a player when people say they’re worried about models and schemes that nickel and dime people; we’re not going to do that."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/31/destiny-devs-talk-space-travel-pc-and-microtransactions

This sounds to me like a confirmation that they'll add vanity items and similar items/features that players can choose to buy.

You guys are still thinking about this the old way ie build it, ship it retail, put a 60 dollars price tag on it. This is Activision entering the games as a service era. Away from the CoD every year at 60 dollars and into the continuous life of a single large gaming platform. Essentially taking what they do best (shooters) with what Blizzard does best (online gaming and services).

CoD has a yearly 200 million+ dollar budget (production + marketing). If they want to replace that franchise (and honestly, they've every reason to fear that franchise dying over the next few years), why not spend 500 million on a single game that's going to last them 5 times as long as any CoD?

Because there is no guarantee people will like the game, or that anyone will care. It's Bungie, so it's going to be in good hands, but still. This is art. Multi-million dollar disasters are a reality, and making $500 Million dollar gambles is just plain fiscally irresponsible and basically indefensible from a business standpoint

When you're starting in that big of a hole, the default has to be "this is a colossal, dreadful mistake." You then have to prove it isn't

Anyway that's a bit of a distracting from the game itself, but yeah, I hope they don't regret the budget because it would have industry-wide consequences

I'm with the doubters. This has potential to be this generation's biggest flop. You just can't predict what people like. With a budget like this it will be a flop even if it's a success by any sane standards. It has to be a mega success on the GTA, CoD, Mario level. How you gonna force this with a new IP? And one that albeit well executed looks rather generic i might add.

Anyway that's a bit of a distracting from the game itself

Agreed. Let's get back to Destiny itself and let's continue the money talk here (would be helpful for me 2):

• 2 weeks later...

This is me since the first announcement of this game, I just don't get why all pple are fucking crazy about it ? :v

It's Bungie, that's enough for me. I've been playing their games since Marathon. They never disappointed me. 

• 3 weeks later...

http://vimeo.com/97588130

The gameplay looks absolutely mental.

I mean.. it's not too stressful, very chillax.

Well it's not what you ... ZZZZZZZZZ

I hope they don't regret the budget because it would have industry-wide consequences.

I'm pretty sure a long term healthy practice of the videogame market is what pension funds are concerned about. No worries.