Mazy

Destiny

Ugh sorry for the dickhead answer of yesterday HP, i'm loosing my civility after not having a job for 8 months, it's scary.

Truth is i'm not a big fan of solo fps made for consoles. I know it's very prejudicial, but i'd really like to see those graphics for a game made from something else than the gameplay basis of halo or cod and sell millions. So just to say, that it wouldn't make me buy a console and the game to play it. And i totally conceive it can be fun, it's just me and my black bile. So peace. And peace to those carpentry accident victims i offended on mapcore.

I would absolutely love to work on environments like that. And knowing bugie, they will be exactly the scale you see in these drawings.

I have heard that bungie's tools are some of the worst in the industry though. Maybe new tools too? emot_razz.gif

I want to know more LOL

Badly designed tools hurt my soul in a way that deeply amuses me!! XD

Ugh sorry for the dickhead answer of yesterday HP, i'm loosing my civility after not having a job for 8 months, it's scary.

I'm on 9 months right now myself... I am starting to actually lose count at this point even! Yeah its scary I agree...

Edited by Castle

omfg... what

Maybe they're willing to eat a loss on the first game to build a franchise. Because that figure is absolutely ridiculous, and I'm sorry, it will not recoup that investment.

Jesus, spending this much money on developing and promoting games is going to be unsustainable in the long run.

If that 500 million figure is accurate, a lot of people are going to lose their jobs because they spent 400 million too much

hqdefault.jpg

edit: http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/5/2/5613114/wasteland-2-fallout-brian-fargo

What the article doesn't mention is that Bungie signed an exclusive contract for 10 years. Destiny is build from the ground up as a franchise. The contract also states they have to ship a sequel every 2 years or so (or perhaps a huge update or something similar). It also comes to wide variety of platforms and has the potential to generate billions in the years to come. So it seems like a solid investment to me. Just look at how much COD makes.

Having said that, these kinds of budgets and teams are of course ludicrous.

The whole paradigm of spending loads of money on manufacturing a guaranteed sucess is all very bizzarre.

If you look at every single game out there, that had unanimous worldwide sucess, it almost happened by 'accident' or by constant iterative process.

WoW, GTA, and CoD are only a few examples of sucuess stories that turned out for the best, in the end all dots connected the right way, and the very first release of those games, were actually just good games with good ideas on it.

You have to walk to be able to run, and trying to manufacture a sucess like that, is nearly impossible imo. But hey, what do I know, I'm actually really looking forward to Destiny. :)

Man...working on a 500 people team... Can't even imagine, started suffocating before 100... :D

I guess they have smaller strike units or teams within the team but still...

You have to walk to be able to run, and trying to manufacture a sucess like that, is nearly impossible imo

Truer words have never been spoken!

That being said I really hope they succeed - but I personally just can't seem to get excited for this game, no matter how many times I watch the trailers...

I like open world shooters like Farcry 3 and I like online games, so by default this game is interesting to me. For the longest time I had expected Activision and Blizzard to pool their talent to create a CoD MMO, but as it turns out, this game is now Destiny in cooperation with Bungie. Activision is all about doubling down on a handful of IPs. They know better than anyone else how to build and leverage a franchise. I heard Bungie is pretty good at making games, too...So does this mean it's a safe bet? Of course not. I haven't even played the game yet. But if I had to put my money down right now, I wouldn't bet against Kotick and trust his judgement.