I was all over this game at first but I completely lost all interest when I reached level 12 or so. I just can't find any reason to invest any more time in this when I have so much more interesting stuff to do on my backlog.

I don't even understand what's the need of an "MMO" part because it adds absolutely nothing to the experience. The game experience could be summarized as a shallow coop game where you can go to a hub to see other ghosts ignoring you to complete their silly errands as quickly as possible, to *maybe* get some satisfaction out of a slight stat increase. There's no ingame economy at all, all your items are trash as soon as you get a slightly better one. You don't get to make new friends since social features are pretty much non-existent. The backstory of the game's universe is actually pretty kickass but you don't see any of that during gameplay.

Let's take WoW for example. It's a game that you can play for weeks, go play something else and go back anytime. There's always a sense of progression and millions of different stuff to do. Not feeling like doing dungeons today? Fine, you can fly somewhere to farm materials and sell them on the Auction House, a place where prices are controlled by real economics and big shot players can even manipulate it. Hell if you want to be a blacksmith and just make items to sell on the AH you can do that too if you are so inclined. In WoW there's a sense of ownership of your character, you grow attached to it because it feels like a real, unique character. It's your avatar in that dream world.

In Destiny everyone looks exactly the same. I can't tell if someone is level 1 or 20 by looking at their gear alone since they all look the same. MMOs are all about showing how big your virtual penis is and that's not fun in Destiny.

Don't get me wrong Destiny is not a bad game. The metagame (which makes or break an MMO) just isn't there. 

I'll give this a rest for now and maybe come back in 6 months or so.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Considering they made Halo I don't have much confidence in this having decent gameplay.

this game is not my destiny 

Dude it's my tragic carpentry accident, i just have 2 fingers left on each hand. Makes it hard to rocket jump with a gamepad. Otherwise damn yeah i would have enjoyed it. Still looking super nice thou

With that said, you can't judge a game like this without even having reached max level though.

I'm sorry tr0nic but that's just bullshit. I know what you are trying to say and you got a point that one would be able to get more out of it. But if the road to max level is a tedious one, that's no fun and hard to get through surely one can judge it by then. What you're saying is that it's ok that the first 20 hours are boring because it gets fun later (which it doesn't, max level doesn't change any of the flaws nor does adding more of the same missions). A game should be fun all the way through.

Getting to max level gives you access to all the best loot out there. Maybe the problem with the story mode is that it is not rewarding the player enough? I can tell you that getting that legendary, exotic or other epic guns/armor in multiplayer/co-op/raid is pretty rewarding and fun. Upgrading your gear and guns gives a sense of progression to the game. The game can't please everyone of course. Some type of games suit us better. Destiny is just not one of yours?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really looking forward to this, just got the season pass, after having a week playtime on the xbox one I switched over to the PS4 (better experience imho) and just caught up to level 28...time to do the raid and hit 30 before this drops.  :celebrate: Btw, had a lot of connectivity issues on the xbox, but none since switching to the PS4 (got the destiny bundle, cnr)

Edited by xfckup

This video is brutal. If you love the game, don't watch it and if you worked on it, ignore it because it's fucking harsh.

Having said that, this guy nails down a lot of issues and even though it's harsh, it well founded and documented. Truly an interesting watch. Not only about Destiny but also about  the whole preorder bullshit and false promises this industry is having to deal with more and more.

This video is brutal. If you love the game, don't watch it and if you worked on it, ignore it because it's fucking harsh.

Having said that, this guy nails down a lot of issues and even though it's harsh, it well founded and documented. Truly an interesting watch. Not only about Destiny but also about  the whole preorder bullshit and false promises this industry is having to deal with more and more.

Very whiny. 

Very whiny. 

Yes, he does go a bit overboard and I certainly don't agree with everything he says but still, he have to admit, he has a lot of valid points.

I started playing again this week btw, trying to finish the 'campaign'. Still enjoying it in short sessions and with a couple of days in between. 

• 2 weeks later...