Good point about the "binge playing". People were bitching about Assassins Creed (1) as well and how repetitive that was but I played 30-60 minutes a day for a couple of weeks till I finished the game and that was absolutely perfect.

Also worth nothing... New open world-ish IP's tend to be repetitive so not much of a surprise tbh!

Edited by Chimeray
  • Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Considering they made Halo I don't have much confidence in this having decent gameplay.

this game is not my destiny 

Dude it's my tragic carpentry accident, i just have 2 fingers left on each hand. Makes it hard to rocket jump with a gamepad. Otherwise damn yeah i would have enjoyed it. Still looking super nice thou

The Internet is one of the best things that has happened to us. However, it also gives every idiot with an connection the means to voice his/her opinion and that's where I often lose faith in people. Same goes with all the Destiny "hate". Don't let the noises of people's opinions drown out what you believe in. My friends and I are having a blast with this game and I'm loving it. If you can voice your opinion in a constructive way and explain why you don't like it, that's fine. Taste differs. But to all those people jumping on the hate wagon, GTFO!

It's shallow and not as big as you'd hope for, but damn it, can't stop playing! Definitely need to play with friends for maximum fun.

It's with friends that this game REALLY shines, like really, it's not the same.

I haven't played it with friends yet (no love!) but I have joined some random fireteams where noone talked.  It works...totally fun.  That said, I'm having fun in SP simply because the combat is so fucking good.  Yeah it is very story light which I think is weird given Bungie's capabilities and, you know, there are a lot of smart people out there who can get stories working in games.  But whatever, I understand how some people don't like it but I'm glad I bought it and plan to continue playing it.

This 'game is good with friends' shit has to go. That's not a reasonable crutch for a games shortcomings. Everything is perceived as more fun when you are around people with the intention of enjoying yourself, even if the game is shit. If your game supports a single player mode and it's uninteresting and boring it's exactly that. Those factors are not elevated because someone else is present.

Outside the core combat there just isn't much to the game. And it was done better in halo with the benefit of a linearly constructed experience instead of respawning mobs and defense sections. 

Also I think some people are conflating story and world. The game has no real story, which is fine, aside from the few cutscenes with characters being dumb as fuck. The bigger issue should be the lack of world building which this kinda open, under designed, repeat mission structure would be able to support. The environments themselves don't have much of a backstory or anything to discover by revisiting them. Not much is told through the missions that are there. There's just nothing to grab onto of interest in these locations. And it's not an emergent or systemic sorta game where you can loftily proclaim player story as an excuse for not building context into your world.

Walk around Fallout 3 for 5 minutes. You're fucking tripping over context and narrative in that game. Different games but it's a solid reference point for how this shit is done.

My only gripe with the singleplayer is that it doesn't scale down. I feel like shit when I have to spend 40-50 minutes on a mission and someone who playing with friends can do the same in 20 minutes. The game's difficulty should ramp up with more players and so does the loot.

Is there a way to invite players around me to quests? That's another aspect of the game that's very weak, you basically don't socialize with anyone at all since there's no trading/chat whatsoever.

My only gripe with the singleplayer is that it doesn't scale down. I feel like shit when I have to spend 40-50 minutes on a mission and someone who playing with friends can do the same in 20 minutes. The game's difficulty should ramp up with more players and so does the loot.

Is there a way to invite players around me to quests? That's another aspect of the game that's very weak, you basically don't socialize with anyone at all since there's no trading/chat whatsoever.

Yes, the game is rather unclear about that. Went to do a strike yesterday and one of the guys bailed on us. The mission doesn't scale down, the game doesn't try and find a new player and as far as I could see we couldn't invite none. For a shared world shooter it's surprisingly solo focused. 

Are you choosing activities where your character level is >= the activity level?

You should be able to click the right stick to focus on other players in the world, from there you get a sub menu where you can invite them to your fireteam.

Sprony, if you are fireteam leader (or if someone in your fireteam is leader) they can go to the roster tab and open up the fireteam to the public. I think by default it is for friends only. It definitely sucks to have people drop out, but this can be a way to allow people back in if it does happen.

I rented it for 360 just to see what it was all about.  It seems about as good as D3 did at launch, without the server issues I might add.  If they can provide the same level of after release support and tuning that blizzard did when they fixed they game w/ loot 2.0 it might actually be really good.  

I think the story and characters are on about the same plane as most MMOs, Not really sure what people expected from the same company that brought you "Halo 2: Attack of the Giant Squid Monster from Soul Reaver"

This game just doesn't grab me in any way. The story seemed a little bit interesting for the first day that we played it, but by the second day I felt like we had seen everything the game had to offer. Halo wasn't my favorite game series of all time either, but it at least seemed to break up the gameplay a bit more, story that was more present, characters that seemed more alive, and music that kicked ass.

I'm still playing it but due to time limitations I've only just hit lvl 15 today and that was after finding the Loot Cave™.  I was there a for 30 minutes and went from just under lvl 14 to just over lvl 15 and got 8 green engrams.  But the real fun part was the event that happened where a shitload of mobs just come at you...i was with a few players in mid 20s and a couple in single digits and it was an incredible spontaneous blast.

That said, this game is going to need imprUvements to be viable in the long term...and FAST. 

JKHUA.png