Sign in to follow this  
knj

dDo is now in open beta. Have fun!

' timestamp='1354043659' post='317752']

That's the thing, I got so fed up with the way we make our art, it's 2012 and we still don't have a solution for tangent space shading mismatches between baker and render, unless your engine supports the baker you are using, and even then, the whole philosophy behind it, you are using your normal map shading to fight against smoothing groups shading / tangent space errors. Fuck that.

Way I see things going is, we wither use object space normal maps, stick with tilling textures, or both.

Yeah. I understood some of these words...

That's the thing, I got so fed up with the way we make our art, it's 2012 and we still don't have a solution for tangent space shading mismatches between baker and render, unless your engine supports the baker you are using, and even then, the whole philosophy behind it, you are using your normal map shading to fight against smoothing groups shading / tangent space errors. Fuck that.

Way I see things going is, we wither use object space normal maps, stick with tilling textures, or both.

Yeah. I understood some of these words...

24188597.jpg

I liked the video music though!

So basically if i understand it well after seeing the video; it's a way of presetting different materials easily in your texture like wood leather metal, adding dirt, scratches etc onto a model ?

I quite see the interest of it when you make a character and you have a lot of different materials for each and every small details that have to be very well rendered.

But is it really as useful for environment art stuff ? I mean Ndo seems really nice to block out the volumes of clean sci fi textures, i personally use a lot the first Ndo to get a cavity from the normalmap after a bake it's really nice to highlight edges.

But i would like to see the same demo for some bigger environment art stuff :)

As a daily lurker of MapCore since '06, stumbling upon this thread made my day :D

KoKos: dDo is meant for all kinds of texturing! Environments, vechicles, weapons, characters, organics, anything. We'll make sure to post up some full environment examples soon. Word on the street is [HP] might be cooking up something awesome... so make sure to give him a good poke :D

Pampers: We just found the issue with the mesh loading -- make sure to check normals when exporting your mesh for now, and it should be working. Fix on the way. Let me know if it's still acting up.

Thanks all :D

Can we use this on Commerical projects if we submit it to your 'work pimping' section :D

usually beta licenses are MEH. I don't have time to do anything in my spare time because my company is my spare time ;o

OS Normalmaps are rubbish though - no reusability what so ever across props, not mirroring and overlapping in UVs and it uses RGB, while with a lot of TangentSpace you get away just using R and G and can use B (and A, although that works in OS as well) for stuff like Glossy, Heightmap, what ever other map you need to only have in greyscale. The spreading across three channels also makes some DDS compressions basically useless, because RGB need to stay seperated, while with Tangentspace you can shift R and G into G and A and then compress the texture much more using DXT5 instead of 3Dc while still keeping the same detail level (more or less).

Been playing with dDo a bit...

the specular and gloss maps it generates are fantastic in CryENGINE 3. I've been making a lot of stuff.

Some things that bother me, that i'm sure will be ironed out

Reloading a texture for further tweaks is kinda confusing... unlike nDo2 where you just click a layer and it brings up all the settings, i can't figure out how to do it in dDo

It will create seams on tiling textures :( but since its mostly flat shaded they are barely noticeable

i wish nDo2 was this clean :)

the way it defines what resolution is weird. Intsead of telling you a specific resolution... its like "double, tripple" etc. I'd prefer to see exact dimensions :P when i first started using it, it was outputting 256x256 textures and i couldn't figure out why! lol

the export is cool but i think that menu could be made a lot more simple, seems like most of those options could be hidden in an advanced tab :) and sharpen taken off by default :P

all in all, really neat stuff. I can definitely utilize this in my pipeline. Since i'm making a full scale 1x1 mile medieval level all by myself for a prototype, this will save me a lot of time on custom assets.

Yeah, agree. Did you use the custom detail creator yet?

e-freak, perfectly valid points, and those are exactly the reason why we are still stick with tangent basis, and not object.

not yet, for my initial test i just did a trim set so with very basic shapes so it wasn't necessary. In most cases, pressing the generate button with the presets is really all you need unless you're doing some hero pieces.

This will definitely be added to my toolset. Even if you're just using it as a post for an already made diffuse texture, its pretty awesome. Looking forward to throw money at it.